• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Near Lisbon in Summer (1 Viewer)

Gzoladz74

Hello

We are flying into Lisbon in July for a family holiday. Accommodation has not yet been booked pending some research (family is not picky provided there is access to a pool).

A few questions for the experts:

1. What's the Tagus Estuary like in the summer for birding (I know it is great in other season)?

2. With birding in mind, what's the best area to stay no more than 1.5/2hrs from the airport by car?

3. I tried to keep my target species realistic, am I being optimistic with any of these:
-Bee Eater
-Golden Oriole
-Avocet
-Spoonbill
-Stone Curlew
-Bustard(s)...any really
-Bluethroat
-Hoopoe
-Green Woodpecker
-Scops Owl

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi,

Lisbon is superb for Birding, I have only been in the winter but I am going in late March.

Crested Mynah are easy at Belem.

I have used a company called Birds and Nature Tours each time I have been in Lisbon.

Bustards, Spanish Imperial Eagles, Vultures, Black-belllied Sandgrouse etc. are c.2.5 hours east of Lisbon near Castro Verde and Mertola.

The advantage of using a guide is that they have access to private sites, some of the Tagus Estuary sites are private.

Also near to Lisbon is the Sado Estuary near Setubal.

I have a few books about the area such us the Crossbill Guide to Southern Portugal ands Goncalao Elias’s booklet.

David

Hi Gzoladz,

1. What's the Tagus Estuary like in the summer for birding (I know it is great in other season)?
In July it can be very hot so it is essential to go in early morning. But at that time of year you start to see large gatherings of waterbirds, especially in or around rice fields and also near the saltpans. Especially flamingos, waders, gulls, terns, egrets, etc.

2. With birding in mind, what's the best area to stay no more than 1.5/2hrs from the airport by car?

The estuary is less than 30 minutes away from Lisbon so you can stay anywhere in the region.

3. I tried to keep my target species realistic, am I being optimistic with any of these:
-Bee Eater - fairly common on the left bank, around Pancas, Alcochete, etc.
-Golden Oriole - a scarce summer visitor to the area
-Avocet - breeds locally in saltpans, try the ones just west of Alcochete
-Spoonbill - fairly common nonbreeding visitor and should not be difficult in July (a flock of 75 was recorded in July 2018)
-Stone Curlew - scarce and difficult, most records are from Pancas area (left bank)
-Bustard(s)...any really - strangely enough, Great Bustards turn up every year in the Tagus estuary (Lezíria Grande plains) and most records are in July or August
-Bluethroat - wrong season, usually appears from late August onwards
-Hoopoe - a common resident on the left bank (same areas as bee-eater)
-Green Woodpecker - uncommon but regular, however probably easier around Sintra (20 km west of Lisbon).
-Scops Owl - very scarce in the region

Hope this helps

Hi Gzoladz,

In July it can be very hot so it is essential to go in early morning. But at that time of year you start to see large gatherings of waterbirds, especially in or around rice fields and also near the saltpans. Especially flamingos, waders, gulls, terns, egrets, etc.

The estuary is less than 30 minutes away from Lisbon so you can stay anywhere in the region.

-Bee Eater - fairly common on the left bank, around Pancas, Alcochete, etc.
-Golden Oriole - a scarce summer visitor to the area
-Avocet - breeds locally in saltpans, try the ones just west of Alcochete
-Spoonbill - fairly common nonbreeding visitor and should not be difficult in July (a flock of 75 was recorded in July 2018)
-Stone Curlew - scarce and difficult, most records are from Pancas area (left bank)
-Bustard(s)...any really - strangely enough, Great Bustards turn up every year in the Tagus estuary (Lezíria Grande plains) and most records are in July or August
-Bluethroat - wrong season, usually appears from late August onwards
-Hoopoe - a common resident on the left bank (same areas as bee-eater)
-Green Woodpecker - uncommon but regular, however probably easier around Sintra (20 km west of Lisbon).
-Scops Owl - very scarce in the region

Hope this helps

Thanks a lot Goncalo, very helpful.

Kindest regards

Hi,

Lisbon is superb for Birding, I have only been in the winter but I am going in late March.

Crested Mynah are easy at Belem.

I have used a company called Birds and Nature Tours each time I have been in Lisbon.

Bustards, Spanish Imperial Eagles, Vultures, Black-belllied Sandgrouse etc. are c.2.5 hours east of Lisbon near Castro Verde and Mertola.

The advantage of using a guide is that they have access to private sites, some of the Tagus Estuary sites are private.

Also near to Lisbon is the Sado Estuary near Setubal.

I have a few books about the area such us the Crossbill Guide to Southern Portugal ands Goncalao Elias’s booklet.

David

Thanks David, I will check that company out, very helps.

Got accommodation in the Santarem area along the river...not too close to the estuary but near other interesting areas and a good balance considering the needs of the family.

What's the best way to find out what part of the Tagus Estuary are accessible vs closed/private?

Goncalo, appreciate the answer may be in your book (BIrdwatching Guide to Portugal), which I expect to receive this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back