• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australia, New Worlds. (1 Viewer)

29 July. Mount Hypipamee & Etty Bay.

After an early morning around Yungaburra (Australian King Parrot the highlight), made a quick stop at Hasties Swamp again (Dusky Moorhen new), then a visit to Mount Hypipamee - mostly quiet, but an excellent fruiting fig with abundant Figbirds, Satin Bowerbirds and male Victoria's Riflebird, then cut down to the coast for the next leg of the trip.

Way back at the beginning of this trip, literally in the first moments of daylight on the first day, a certain person travelling with me had scored a Southern Cassowary from the car while I had trudged the road looking for them. Eight days on, despite numerous road signs warning of cassowaries, not a sniff of one I had. Departing Hypipamee, and yet another cassowary road sign, it was time for my secret weapon - Etty Bay.

Not really a 'secret' weapon though, as this beach is famous for its Southern Cassowaries that sometimes venture out onto the beach and hassle tourists, chasing them off or stealing food. And so it was, an hour or so later, we arrived at this picturesque bay, a small car park and campsite, forested slopes above and a sparkling blue sea beyond. Campsite area looked the optimal starting point for the cassowary I thought, remembering a video of the birds ambling around there, so off I went. My travel companion by contrast thought a nice bit of relaxing on the beach would be in order.

And no guesses for what happened next! Moments later, back came my travel companion with a grin and a repeat of the question from day one "So, have you seen your big bird?", followed by "It is on the beach!"

And indeed it was, an absolutely mega of a bird, an adult female sauntering along the sand, literally sending folk scurrying as it strolled past and took great interest in everything in its path. Females being the bigger and brighter of the sexes, this one was a giant - perhaps 1.6 metres tall, massive casque, colourful neck and face, impressive dangling wattles and, not what you would want lashing out at you, huge colossal feet! Occasional attacks by this species have resulted in serious injuries from the dagger-like claws, little wonder most folk wisely gave this bird due respect.

Rather amusing, one unfortunate guy sunbathing on the beach didn't see the bird approaching and opened his eyes only when the cassowary was already towering above him and jabbing with its beak! Beach guards quickly intervened and pushed the bird back with plastic chairs as shields. Overall however, it seemed fairly passive, so after a while watching in awe, I settled down to allow it wander close - a true privilege to be in the company of such a special bird.

Stayed with the bird a couple of hours and more, certainly one of the highlights of this trip to Australia. As sun began to descent, off the bird went, melting back into the tropical forests. Pottered around the general area to round the day off, Bush Stone-Curlews alongside a railway, Brown Goshawk overhead, a minimum of 50 White-breasted Wood Swallows gathering on electric wires.

Last edited:
Here's looking at you!

Attachments

• Southern Cassowary au 1.jpg
    Southern Cassowary au 1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 30
  • Southern Cassowary au 2.jpg
    Southern Cassowary au 2.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Southern Cassowary au 3.jpg
    Southern Cassowary au 3.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 29
And more...

Attachments

• Southern Cassowary au 5.jpg
    Southern Cassowary au 5.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Southern Cassowary au 7.jpg
    Southern Cassowary au 7.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 77
  • Southern Cassowary au 6.jpg
    Southern Cassowary au 6.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 35
Etty Bay is the best site by far for these beauties. When my sister was over couple years ago we had five wandering around and at least two males calling an incredible noise that reverberates through your whole body. Great report as always Jos.

"Etty Bay is the best site by far for these beauties. When my sister was over couple years ago we had five wandering around and at least two males calling an incredible noise that reverberates through your whole body".

Ahem, I have to be partisan here, don't forget Cassowary House along Black Mountain Road at Kuranda, where we had the birds as visitors most days since 1985, with the same male. Currently he is here with two 4 month old chicks being photographed by a Japanese group, and a female comes most days. We have around 14 birds in the general area and a night spent here gives an excellent chance of seeing one. Jos was unlucky to miss here, as we read in his enjoyable travelogue

"Etty Bay is the best site by far for these beauties. When my sister was over couple years ago we had five wandering around and at least two males calling an incredible noise that reverberates through your whole body".

Ahem, I have to be partisan here, don't forget Cassowary House along Black Mountain Road at Kuranda, where we had the birds as visitors most days since 1985, with the same male. Currently he is here with two 4 month old chicks being photographed by a Japanese group, and a female comes most days. We have around 14 birds in the general area and a night spent here gives an excellent chance of seeing one. Jos was unlucky to miss here, as we read in his enjoyable travelogue

And in fairness, although Jos unfortunately missed it, his team scored! :-O

30 July. Mount Claro & Tyto Wetlands.

With a few days to spare, I decided to make an unplanned addition to the trip - 120 km south to the town park in Ingham to see its mixed colony of flying foxes (four species, up to 20,000 individuals), then potentially another 150 km south to visit Paluma National Park.

Not the most amazing morning however - after picking up a AUS $265 speeding ticket on route, I arrived in Ingham to find the park eerily quiet. Turns out the bat roost is summer only, not a single bat was in residence! Darn, the day was not shaping up as I had expected! With vague memories of a colony of Sharman's Rock Wallabies existing somewhere near Ingham, I popped into the local McDonald's to utilise the Wi-Fi and do a bit of research. Indeed, my memory banks were working well - albeit over 75 km to the west, one of the few colonies of the highly localised Sharman's Rock Wallabies did indeed reside not too far from Ingham, at a place called Mount Claro to be exact.

And what a totally amazing excursion it turned out to - in the hot arid interior, with bucketloads of dust rising behind the car, this felt classic Australia... and just to prove the point, I needed to come to a screeching halt a few kilometres short of Claro when a pair of Emu appeared aside the road, my only ones on the whole trip. Iconic Aussie birds, I was truly was impressed by these! At Mount Claro, more a elevated pile of boulders than a true mountain, I hiked a kilometre or two through withered grassland and open eucalyptus forest, a few Eastern Grey Kangaroos bounding as I did, plus Noisy Miners commonplace and a Rufous Whistler in trees. At the rocky outcrop, most impressive, a Wedge-tailed Eagle launched into the sky and glided away. Amazing, what a place!

Up the boulders I went, sun burning down. And then a thump on the rocks and a small marsupial vanished off through a crevice - one Sharman's Rock Wallaby! Pretty shy creatures, I saw five in total, all bar one scampering off as soon as they saw me. As for the one though, he decided to be rather more cooperative, cautiously sitting atop a boulder and watching me.

Ten kilometres back, as I stopped to scan a pool, more luck with a massive flock of Galah Cockatoos - at least 50, the whole lot was feeding on the ground aside cattle, quite a sight. And in among them, a family of Apostlebirds, another excellent species and the only ones I would see on my trip. Five Australian Wood Ducks, three Squatter Pigeons and a pair of Pied Butcherbirds also here. And with that, back to Ingham I went. I would spend the last hours of the day at Tyto Wetlands, a place that turned out to be far better than I had been expecting! A series of freshwater pools, I ended up with no less than seven new species here, both waterbirds and non-waterbirds. On lily-pad pools, a mix of Magpie Geese, Hardheads, Pacific Black Ducks and Grey Teals concealed the first treats - 17 Wandering Whistling Ducks and, alongside ten Green Pygmy Geese, two Cotton Pygmy Geese (these the only ones I would see on this trip).

More new birds came thick and fast - a very welcome Blue-winged Kookaburra in a tree, a flock of 18 Crimson Finches feeding on the pool embankment, then a Fairy Martin amongst Welcome Swallows and Tree Martins. But for sheer wow, the top prize of the evening went to a real cracker of a bird - Red-backed Fairywren. As the sun began to dip, suddenly a whole bunch of these emerged from nowhere, jet black jewels with a contrasting splash of red across the back, a long tail setting it off. Atop stalks they sat, reeling of short snatches of song, very nice. Also seen, several White-gaped Honeyeaters, two Blue-faced Honeyeaters and both White-bellied and White-breasted Cuckoo-Shrikes.

As dark approached, something quite amazing occurred - in pastures near the car park, where there had been none on arrival, suddenly there were Agile Wallabies everywhere! 170 Agile Wallabies in a single field, quite a sight. Also 30 Bush Stone-Curlews, 60 Rainbow Bee-eaters coming into roost and a Large-tailed Nightjar calling form a small copse.

With ideas to find Eastern Grass Owl after dark, I did a rather long drive through the extensive hectares of sugarcane fields south-east of Ingham - drew a blank on the main target, but did see a rather nice Eastern Barn Owl, as well as an unexpected Australian Bustard.

Classic birds...

Attachments

• Emu au 1.jpg
    Emu au 1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Galah au 1.jpg
    Galah au 1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 32
  • Bush Stone-Curlew au 6.jpg
    Bush Stone-Curlew au 6.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Magpie Goose au 2.jpg
    Magpie Goose au 2.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 20
Paluma National Park. 31 July.

Paluma National Park, a little off the beaten track, but hopefully offering one more chance on the Holy Grail, the Golden Bowerbird. An uneventful drive down from Ingham, best sightings a stream of Black Kites emerging from roost, plus an Australian Hobby overhead.

After ascending the required hairpins and steep gradients, arrived at the forested slopes of Paluma, the calls of Eastern Whipbirds echoing out, three Sulphur-crested Cockatoos flying in. Destination was the road to Birthday Creek Falls, Golden Bowerbirds having been recorded here in the past. Wandered a couple of kilometres, pretty good overall, with several White-naped Honeyeaters and Golden Whistler seen, plus a Rusty Antechinus scampering along an overhead branch. No Golden Bowerbird though. A few kilometres along, a small track leads off, zigzagging down a forested slope to Birthday Creek Falls themselves.

A few birds down here, but overall quiet. But then, off to one side, a peculiar noise, a weird buzzy call. Hmm, thought I, taking a few steps to peer through the tangled undergrowth, that had to be my target. And indeed it was, sitting quietly on a low branch, one superb male Golden Bowerbird! As it vanished off, I thought I might get better views from another angle, so took a few places through the forest, then promptly stumbled across the bower! With the adjacent forest floor largely cleared of leaves and detritus, the bower consisted of a pair of scruffy towers built up a couple of spindly saplings, the bases of both towers decorated by a collection of small white petals and other blue and white objects.

The next twenty minutes or so were perhaps the most magical of the entire trip to Australia - I sitting on the forest floor, the stunning Golden Bowerbird paying no attention whatsoever, emerging from the depths to tend the bower, carefully place plucked petals and generally inspect his handiwork. Bird of the trip! As he perched upon a low branch in quiet song, so I retreated, Paluma had done it's magic.

Added a few Australian King Parrots as I departed, then decided to change plans again, returning north to Ingham and thereafter continuing right up to Cairns. Pretty long drive, arrived just after dark.

Contender for bird of the trip...

Attachments

• Golden Bowerbird au 1.jpg
    Golden Bowerbird au 1.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 46
  • Golden Bowerbird au 2.jpg
    Golden Bowerbird au 2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 55
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back