• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Threskiornithidae (1 Viewer)

Spoonbill-ibises

Our limited sampling of the Threskiornithinae (ibises), the putative sister group to the spoonbills, indicated that this group is paraphyletic, in agreement with previous molecular data; this suggests that separation of the Threskiornithidae into subfamilies Plataleinae and Threskiornithinae may not be warranted

Interesting! And intuitively logical, given that bill shape isn't much of a phylogenetic signal (Spoon-billed Sandpiper for instance being very close to Red-necked Stint).

Anyone with insight knows which of the ibises would be closer to the Spoonbills than the rest?

Zootaxa access

I wonder how much the 'small fee' is that they mention for open access?
Seems to be US$12.60 (displayed with e-mail address if Order PDF is selected).

[Still quite a large fee to download 8 pages!]

Richard

Last edited:
De Pietri 2013

De Pietri 2013. Interrelationships of the Threskiornithidae and the phylogenetic position of the Miocene ibis 'Plegadis' paganus from the Saint-Gérand-le-Puy area in central France. Ibis 155(3): 544–560. [abstract]

J.L. Ramirez, C.Y. Miyaki & S.N. Del Lama, 2013. Molecular phylogeny of Threskiornithidae (Aves: Pelecaniformes) based on nuclear and mitochondrial DNA. Genetics and Molecular Research 12 (3): 2740-2750.

ABSTRACT. The family Threskiornithidae includes 13 genera and 32
species, and it is traditionally divided into 2 subfamilies: Plataleinae
and Threskiornithinae. We present a phylogenetic reconstruction to test
the monophyly of currently accepted subfamilies, including 15 species
from both subfamilies and 10 genera of family Threskiornithidae.
Phylogenetic trees were inferred on the basis of the mitochondrial 16S
rRNA gene and the nuclear intron 7 of β-fibrinogen. Threskiornithidae
was recovered as a monophyletic group. Plataleinae formed a
monophyletic group, but nested within Threskiornithinae, which was
thus paraphyletic. Two major phylogenetic groups were identified: the
‘endemic New World clade’, including genera endemic to the American
continent, and the ‘widespread clade’, comprising the remaining species.
These phylogenetic groups diverged about 39-42 million years ago, i.e.,
before the separation of South America and Antarctica. Our results agree
with an initial vicariance due to Gondwana break-up and subsequent
colonization of species from the Old World to the New World.

PDF

Jorge Luis Ramirez Malaver, 2011. Problemas taxonômicos da família Threskiornithidae: filogenia molecular e o caso de Eudocimus. Dissertação (Mestrado), Universidade Federal de São Carlos.
Abstract and PDF here

I know this is quite old, but also . . .

Peter,
I wonder how much the 'small fee' is that they mention for open access?
MJB

Seems to be US$12.60 (displayed with e-mail address if Order PDF is selected).

[Still quite a large fee to download 8 pages!]

. . . don't forget, if your currency is other than dollars, to add on a "purely nominal" bank currency transaction charge of £40 :storm:

Roseate Spoonbill

Carolina Isabel Miño, Silvia Nassif Del Lama. (2014) Genetic Differentiation Among Populations of the Roseate Spoonbill (Platalea ajaja; Aves: Pelecaniformes) in Three Brazilian Wetlands. Biochemical Genetics 52, 321-337.

[Abstract]

Prompted by this ID forum thread, I'm wondering — has monophyly of Glossy Ibis with respect to White-faced Ibis ever been conclusively established? Or could it be that N American Glossies are more closely related to White-faced than they are to Eurasian Glossies?

Glossy ibises

Prompted by this ID forum thread, I'm wondering — has monophyly of Glossy Ibis with respect to White-faced Ibis ever been conclusively established? Or could it be that N American Glossies are more closely related to White-faced than they are to Eurasian Glossies?
Doesn't answer the question, but some background from Davis & Kricher 2000 (BNA Online)...
White-faced Glossy Ibis formerly considered a subspecies of Glossy Ibis (e.g., Amadon and Woolfenden 1952, Parkes 1955, Palmer 1962). Recent classifications, however, have treated each as a full species (Sibley and Monroe 1990, Hancock et al. 1992, Am. Ornithol. Union 1998). This based chiefly on occurrence of both species in sympatry in Louisiana (Avery I.), where they presumably do not hybridize (Ryder 1967, Duncan and Johnson 1977).

Aye. And the Ramirez paper (above) only used a single N American sample of Glossy.

IOC gives Glossy as monotypic; if it did prove paraphyletic, I wonder whether they'd split Glossy into two species, or just lump W-f back in?

Aye. And the Ramirez paper (above) only used a single N American sample of Glossy.

IOC gives Glossy as monotypic; if it did prove paraphyletic, I wonder whether they'd split Glossy into two species, or just lump W-f back in?

Glossy Ibis is a recent colonist in the New World (only since the late 1800s in the US). It seems highly unlikely that New World Glossy Ibises are closer to White-faced than to the Old World Glossy populations that they recently expanded from...

see (e.g.) Patten, 2000 https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/nab/v054n03/p00241-p00247.pdf

Last edited:
Glossy Ibis is a recent colonist in the New World (only since the late 1800s in the US). It seems highly unlikely that New World Glossy Ibises are closer to White-faced than to the Old World Glossy populations that they recently expanded from...

see (e.g.) Patten, 2000 https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/nab/v054n03/p00241-p00247.pdf

Thanks! Strange that it could have colonised N America then, just when European populations were collapsing due to overhunting and collecting, and conditions in the USA can't have been much better.

Thanks! Strange that it could have colonised N America then, just when European populations were collapsing due to overhunting and collecting, and conditions in the USA can't have been much better.

Perhaps they were trying to escape! It is thought that Glossy Ibises initially colonised South America from Africa, then into Central and North America, a precursor to the similar and more familiar expansion pattern of Cattle Egrets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back