• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Soaring hawk. Massachusetts, USA (1 Viewer)

crazyfingers

It was way up there. It was almost stationary as it appeared to be sailing into the prevailing wind allowing it to say stationary with respect to the ground.

No "red tail" and without that I'm at a loss IDing hawks from the underside.

Attachments

• IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 59
And the same suggestion is coming from the dark marks on the front end of the wing. Red-tails only develop red in the tail as they become adults. Redtail it is.

Niels

Thanks. Hawks are hard for me.

Red-tails are often easy to identify; like this one. Especially here in Eastern North America where they are lightly colored underneath. Look at the leading edge of the underwings in your photo. See those dominant dark "Patagial" bars extending from the neck to the middle of the wing. All Red-tailed Hawks have them and they are easily seen. On Dark Morph RTH's out west they are hard to see.

Now look at the belly. See the large dark "cummerbund" across the belly. It's called the "belly band." Naturally!;) All Red-tailed Hawks have it. Again, it can be impossible to see on Dark Morph western Red-tailed Hawks.

And if you have only a back view you will see white triangular stripes on the Hawk's Scapulars. They are usually described as "Back Straps." This is another field mark for a RTH.

And finally, here in the east about 40% of the hawks you see will be Red-tails. And in the winter that percentage will be higher.

Bob

Thanks. What you describe show up in my Sibley guide but not so well in my smaller one by Tekielo. The Peterson guide is in-between the two.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back