• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular demo (1 Viewer)

huskers15

I've been in the process of learning about and figuring out my first binocular purchase. As anything new it can be a bit overwhelming with all of the information and opinions out there.

I'm looking for a good all around, quality product that can work well from star gazing, to beach babes, to whale watching, to birds and animals. Basically I'm in the market for one pair that can do that all with a wow factor but doesn't have to be the best for each specific activity.

We have a trip coming up and Maven has the only demo program that I'm aware of, that I think is a no brainer for someone in my shoes (never owned binocs, don't know what a quality binoc can do) and I would like to take advantage of it before my first purchase. Their only requirement other than a temporary demo purchase, is shipping costs and 14 day return of the item!

https://shop.mavenbuilt.com/collections/demo-units

What would be a good ALL AROUND model/magnification for me based on the activities above?

Thank you for any advice :t:

Hi,

my choice of the models mentioned would be the B3 in 8x30 as it is a Nikom M7 8x30 in a nicer package which is a good thing, as the M7 8x30 does a lot of things right at a very attractive price.

Also a compact and light 8x30 is a nice general purpose pair suitable for all of the activities mentioned.

Joachim

I'd say for you a B1 8x42 or B3 8x30. The C1 is a nice glass for the money, but it has a narrower field of view than the others. The B2 is the best glass, but it is a big binocular.

If the gods dictated I could only have one binocular out of all I own, I'd be hard pressed not to go with my 8x30 B3. It is smaller, lighter, and with a wider field than the B1. Gives up nothing of consequence outside of low light to a 42 mm glass. It is a 1/2 size scale model of the B1.

Last edited:
If you are going to do all 5 of those pursuits you mention it would be good to get a binocular with a wide FOV. That pretty well limits you to the B3 8x30 which Joachim and Steve recommend.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back