• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corvid Fuerteventura? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Whilst deleting....found a forgotten image on my SD card!

Apart from Raven and Chough (the only recorded Corvids on the Island), have to assume that this is the former, it looks structurally ok, just the pale patches the (bill and lower body) bit of leucism, or the result of a dust bath?

Cheers

Attachments

• P1840175.jpeg   FTV Corvid.jpeg
    P1840175.jpeg FTV Corvid.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Surely not a raven on structure alone. Bright legs & bill and short tail would suggest chough, possibly a juv.

Surely not a raven on structure alone. Bright legs & bill and short tail would suggest chough, possibly a juv.

I agree it looks like a juvenile Chough, but at best a rare vagrant on that island !

I guess you are sure the photo is not from La Palma ?

I agree it looks like a juvenile Chough, but at best a rare vagrant on that island !

I guess you are sure the photo is not from La Palma ?

I can assure you that it was Fuerteventura, and that there had been numerous birds in the air over the “dump”. Birds noted were - Raven (c1/2 dozen, 4-5 Canary Island Buzzards, 3-4 Egyptian Vultures, a putative Barbary Falcon and many Yellow-legged Gulls. It struck me as looking somewhat compact hence the single shot, at the time I thought it to look like a “smaller” Raven. The tail shape
is about right, although the posture looks a bit off. According to Collins...the length of the tail is longer than the wing width on Chough....

Cheers

I can assure you that it was Fuerteventura, and that there had been numerous birds in the air over the “dump”. Birds noted were - Raven (c1/2 dozen, 4-5 Canary Island Buzzards, 3-4 Egyptian Vultures, a putative Barbary Falcon and many Yellow-legged Gulls. It struck me as looking somewhat compact hence the single shot, at the time I thought it to look like a “smaller” Raven. The tail shape
is about right, although the posture looks a bit off. According to Collins...the length of the tail is longer than the wing width on Chough....

Cheers

Here's an adult in flight for comparison, shape, dark coverts contrasting with slaty flight feathers, your bird is a Chough.

https://www.vogelwarte.ch/assets/images/voegel/vds/artbilder/700px/3770_0.jpg

When do they aquite the adults red bill?

Assuming you’re correct Andy, the possibility of which I hadn’t considered, due to range and presumed unlikely (rare), however Alpine Chough occur in Morocco I believe....?

The possiblity of Alpine Chough was kinda what I was alluding to Ken, they're common in parts of Morroco.

I hesitate to say it on such a long distance shot, but the bill structure looks better for Alpine IMHO?

Last edited:
The possiblity of Alpine Chough was kinda what I was alluding to Ken, they're common in parts of Morroco.

I hesitate to say it on such a long distance shot, but the bill structure looks better for Alpine IMHO?

I understand that Juv Red-billed Chough have “yellowish” bills, add to that I can’t find any info. on Chough incidence on the Canary’s other than mentioned on La Palma...?

Cheers

Given the quality of the pic I find it easier to believe it is a raven rather than the big rarity a chough would be in Fuerteventura

Given the quality of the pic I find it easier to believe it is a raven rather than the big rarity a chough would be in Fuerteventura

Especially given that a reasonable observer would have probably picked up on it being a Chough in the field had it been one.

Especially given that a reasonable observer would have probably picked up on it being a Chough in the field had it been one.

Well being an unreasonable observer Jos, It came hard on the heels of my putative Barbary falcon which was preoccupying my mind, when I had a “child in the sweatshop” moment, as the bird came distantly into view, and I fired off a couple of shots, this being the only useful one! Oddly enough I do know what a Chough looks like...and it didn’t remind me of one, neither a Raven also?

Definitely a Corvid as to ascribing it...dunno?

Oddly enough I do know what a Chough looks like...and it didn’t remind me of one

This was my point - rather than relying on an image that is not too clear, I would say if it didn't remind you of a Chough in the field, given you are familiar with the species, then this is good reason it probably isn't one.

This was my point - rather than relying on an image that is not too clear, I would say if it didn't remind you of a Chough in the field, given you are familiar with the species, then this is good reason it probably isn't one.

If you return to my first post, you will note that I never attempted to ascribe it to anything other than a Corvid, indeed Chough never even crossed my mind due to it being distinctly unlikely. My concern evident in the post, was, that it was probably a “compact looking” Raven with some leucism and was seeking other opinions lest I was missing something obvious....that’s why there is a Q&A forum, for us lesser mortals to raise our ID standards.

If you return to my first post, you will note that I never attempted to ascribe it to anything other than a Corvid, indeed Chough never even crossed my mind due to it being distinctly unlikely. My concern evident in the post, was, that it was probably a “compact looking” Raven with some leucism and was seeking other opinions lest I was missing something obvious....that’s why there is a Q&A forum, for us lesser mortals to raise our ID standards.

Idea was being floated that it was a Chough/Alpine Chough, so simply added a comment that the observer, you, would probably have picked up on this in this at time of observation had it been one. Just adding an answer, you know that's why there is Q & A section, so folks can give suggestions that may (or may not) hint towards a likely solution.

Last edited:
Surely the pale areas are just glare / photographic artifact.

I'm buying into this. Looking at the glare on some of the under-feathers.

I had thought the wings weren't long enough/kinked enough for Raven, but plenty of images show similar and guess it's to do with flight posture.

A couple of thoughts:

It seems to me to have 6 fingers which should exclude Alpine Chough which has 5 - according to van Duivendijk.

He also states that the Raven on the Canary Islands (C. c. tingitanus) is small (fitting Ken's description as compact) and has a relatively short tail.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back