• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lark song in northern Morocco (1 Viewer)

Hi there everyone!

Wondering if anyone can help me with an unsolved ID from a couple years ago. I recorded this Galerida sp. lark singing in along the Mediterranean coast of Morocco, just south of Ceuta (like, less than a kilometer from the border). Recording in eBird checklist:

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S30206209

I did see the bird, and recall leaning slightly toward Thekla's Lark, though it may have just been wishful thinking, since I already had Crested on my life list. The miserable photos I got were unlikely to be helpful, though I might be able to dig them up if someone really wants me to.

I've heard that voice is supposed to be one of the better distinguishing characteristics of Crested vs. Thekla's Lark (I suppose Maghreb Lark may be a possibility too, though I think it usually is found in the mountains further south). However, at the time I tried very hard to learn the difference from recordings, and failed. I don't have a very good ear for differences in complex songs.

If anyone can help, or even just direct me to someplace or someone who would be better to ask, I'd much appreciate it!

Cheers,
Evan

I'd suggest going to xenocanto on the mysteries section, and uploading it as a mystery Thekla/CrestedLlark from Morocco, and see if anyone can help

Right at the beginning of the recording, the Linnet like notes are great for Thekla's, and at least in my experience I consider these notes diagnostic. The higher tones don't seem quite reedy enough for Crested, they are rather smooth and buttery - again good for Thekla's. There is of course considerable similarity between the two species songs and I have to admit it sometimes takes a while listening to be sure of the ID and some I have to leave as unidentified.

Last edited:
Right at the beginning of the recording, the Linnet like notes are great for Thekla's, and at least in my experience I consider these notes diagnostic. The higher tones don't seem quite reedy enough for Crested, they are rather smooth and buttery - again good for Thekla's. There is of course considerable similarity between the two species songs and I have to admit it sometimes takes a while listening to be sure of the ID and some I have to leave as unidentified.

Cool, thanks!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back