• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (1 Viewer)

Lasy night's 15-minute trip over Yateley Common South gave a pair of juvenile Dartford warblers playing in a shrub and a green woodpecker. Wasn't out quite late enough for nightjars.
Today we've had a juvenile robin in the garden and saw a juvenile grey wagtail being fed by its parent after attemping to hawk some flies on the Blackwater. And the usual long-tailed tits along the river.

Todays garden sightings were two very neat juvenile house sparrows and the juvenile robin again. A whole inch has disappeared out of the feeder in the last two days. The last inch took a month.

Watched Female Kestrel eating what looked like a frog from no more than 6 feet away at Tices Meadow tonight, the kids were well impressed! Also new record of 8 Grey Herons at the gravel pit.

John.

Nothing as exciting as a kestrel, but saw a ton of long-tailed tits along the Blackwater. As usual, the camera decided it couldn't focus on anything nearer than 400 ft unless it had moved just after the shutter was pressed, but just prior to the shutter opening.
Also saw what looked very much like a white wagtail in company with a pied at the Meadows roundabout. light grey body and black head, body didn't look dark enough for a female pied.

Hi Folks

Just thought I'd introduce myself - a Yateley Dweller - Just getting into the local birding scene so looking to get any tips on decent locations - esp for Photography - I find the hides at moor lakes too high to get any decent eye-level shots. Feel free to email/pm me with any suggestions of locations where I can get down close to the water and where there will be something interesting to see!!

colonelboris said:
I think it's safe to go from 'possible' to 'pretty certain'...

Hi Tony

Just seen this posting - Tree Sparrows are pretty much extinct up in NE Hants so wondered what makes you pretty certain as you may want to let the local recorder know.

Allen

Hi Allen,

Ah, the lack of field notes made at the time makes me realise just how much of a newbie I really am - the main characteristics I saw were a brown top to the head and the cheek patches. I checked with people here about the flight (slightly undulating, going from low in a bush to high up in a tree on the other side of the road), but I did only see it for a second. I posted an enquiry on the ID thread as soon as I got a chance and the flight didn't seem to fit with dunnock (which it really didn't look like as I couldn't see any of the lead grey).
Short of hypnotherapy to get a sketch of exactly what I saw, i can't really provide an awful lot more than that, so I guess I could have been a bit hasty on that one... ;)

However, I'll keep an eye out at the spot (just over the A30/River Blackwater bridge into Hampshire in the bushes opposite the fast food shops) and see if anything else turns up.

Cheers,

Tony

Spradders said:
Hi Folks

Just thought I'd introduce myself - a Yateley Dweller - Just getting into the local birding scene so looking to get any tips on decent locations - esp for Photography - I find the hides at moor lakes too high to get any decent eye-level shots. Feel free to email/pm me with any suggestions of locations where I can get down close to the water and where there will be something interesting to see!!

Hi Spradders!

A good place to look for locations and birds is www.berksbirds.co.uk, which has good reports on sightings at places along the Berks/Hants boders as well as the rest of Berks. The HOS site is more based around rarities, and mostly in the Southern half of the county, but is also good (www.hos.org.uk).

For the most part, I plod around the River Blackwater, Yateley Common South (the army ranges) and occasionally round to Moor Green, Minley Manor (good for raptors - sprawk, kestrel, red kite and buzzard) and occasionally further afield if I can scrounge lifts from Dad and when I get a break from writing.

The thing that gets me about the Yateley area is that there's so many lakes and ponds, but hardly any access due to some really bolshy fishing wardens.

Well, good luck and keep us posted on how you get on!

Cheers,

Tony

Hi CB

You're doing well here! Building it up nicely. Sounds like you've got some great spots there. Keep up the good work!

Ps. You're not a million miles away from Pagham, so if you ever get the inclination ... :t:

Last edited:
HantsBirds newsgroup

colonelboris said:
Hi Spradders!

A good place to look for locations and birds is www.berksbirds.co.uk, which has good reports on sightings at places along the Berks/Hants boders as well as the rest of Berks. The HOS site is more based around rarities, and mostly in the Southern half of the county, but is also good (www.hos.org.uk).

Tony

Try the new HantsBirds newsgroup:

Hello,

Welcome to the HantsBirds group at Yahoo! Groups, a
free, easy-to-use email group service. Please
take a moment to review this message.

To learn more about the HantsBirds group, please visit

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HantsBirds

To start sending messages to members of this group, simply
send email to

[email protected]

If you do not wish to belong to HantsBirds, you may
unsubscribe by sending an email to

[email protected]

To see and modify all of your groups, go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

Regards,

Moderator, HantsBirds

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Well that's gratitude, isn't it? You put out feed and water for the birds in the garden, but they'd rather get closer to the cat than me...
Just went out to have a go at the cat for stalking a juv. robin, but when I got out there, both were unconcernedly staring at each other until they saw me and the robin scarpered...

Has anyone else noticed that the tits seem to be flocking together again already? Just had a mixed flock go through the garden. I thought they did that later in the year.

Hello,

Welcome to the HantsBirds group at Yahoo! Groups, a
free, easy-to-use email group service. Please
take a moment to review this message.

To learn more about the HantsBirds group, please visit

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HantsBirds

To start sending messages to members of this group, simply
send email to

[email protected]

If you do not wish to belong to HantsBirds, you may
unsubscribe by sending an email to

[email protected]

To see and modify all of your groups, go to

http://groups.yahoo.com/mygroups

Regards,

Moderator, HantsBirds

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Not much birdlife by the Blackwater this afternoon, great spotted and green woodpeckers, grey heron, 10 moorhens on the Balancing Pond.
However, there were a lot of little critters about, tons and tons of shieldbugs, a big grasshopper (currently being ID'd) and other bits and pieces.

Edit: I forgot the sprawk! It spooked a wood pigeon and then a whole load of magpies piled into a tree and then I saw it over the field.

Last edited:
News from my brother's patch (next to my stomping ground) on Minley Manor and Cove is that there's at least a pair of buzzards, several kestrels, tons of swallows and no sign of the red kite anymore. He's only really into raptors, so there's probably a fair bit more about...
News from my patch: next to nothing as I'm still sulking about the pranging of my camera (see 'help! camera dropping inceident' in the cameras section) and working out how to dismantle it...

I thought I'd ask first as there's a few people who post on this thread now, but I was thinking of asking the mods if they would change the title of this thread to 'Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders' as the 'NE Hants' bit might scare off some people from over t'border...

colonelboris said:
I thought I'd ask first as there's a few people who post on this thread now, but I was thinking of asking the mods if they would change the title of this thread to 'Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders' as the 'NE Hants' bit might scare off some people from over t'border...

Good idea Tony, some excellent birding areas around the border areas, I tend to work these areas rather than just concentrate on NE Hants.

Cheers,

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back