• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Capetown birding end of August (1 Viewer)

Dear birders,

I will be in CapeTown alone between August 18th and 20th, and I have a couple of questions:
- is it possible to use Uber to go birding there ? For example is Strandfontein doable by foot ?
- do you think it is possible to see the Karoo over just one day (sunset to sundown) ?
- if going to the West coast, do you have any tip for a single day trip ?

If anybody is interested in joining in, that would be my pleasure of course :) the more the merrier.

Many thanks in advance for your help !
Have a nice day
Thibaut

We spent three weeks in SA in June/July.
We used Uber in Joburg while we had our rental car waxed and buffed, however, in most instances we had rental cars for obvious reasons.

Strandfontein STP is fantastic! I would definitely use a car there, it is quite a large site.
We are photographers not twitchers so finding endless numbers of species was not important, we just went with the flow.

If you spend a day you could cover Cape of Good Hope, Simon's Town (if you want to see the Jackass Penguins and some other seabirds) and Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens. Easy! Another good spot in CT that many people don't know of is a small island in Century City (we were based in a hotel there) and the island is called Intaka. They have quite a few nice species there, including Malachite Kingfisher. There are at least two hides there too. On weekends the morning hide gets VERY busy, you probably want to avoid it, as locals can access the site before the general public and they fill the hide quickly.

Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back