• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (3 Viewers)

Paul I agree!, first impression was structurally favouring Peregrine (having seen one earlier in the day) however I was thrown by the apparent vertical streaking to the breast and belly with a contrasting clear cut top (which I've never seen before on Peregrine), thus I was swayed from my initial ID. Have to assume that it was a 2nd calendar year bird?

Many thanks

Yes. I'm still old-fashioned enough to say first-summer rather than 2nd calendar year or indeed the even trendier 2cy....

All the best

Totally unexpected Northern Wheatear! at chimney height SW/NE over neighbour's roof, extremely well lit...if brief. no.69 (another grdn.lifer).

Eleven day drought of new birds finally broken, a pair of

61 Barn Swallow

flying in the valley this morning. The last two Brambling departed overnight 10/11th, the Wryneck was calling again three days ago towards the village, but just too far away to be audible from here:-C

Easter Sunday

Bumper day in the garden, for the lockdown garden list. 6 additions o:) :
35) a flock of Canada Geese, ( heard from my bedroom, in the buff, post shower );)
36) Dunnock singing.
37) Rook in flight ( garden tick ). :king:
38) Stock Dove in flight.
39) Yellow-legged Herring Gull.( garden tick). :king:
40) Singing Robin.
So, most unexpectedly, I have smashed my last target by 5 and have reached the number which Richard ( Prior) said that I should be able to reach, earlier in the thread.
I am still awaiting a hirundine too ! ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses Paul and Graham, it was a sluggish Chiffchaff then, I fell into that modern trap of grabbing the camera before my bins and quickly lost it to view, a lesson learnt there.

Yes, I agree, Richard. I recall, 3 years ago, when I was in Nepal,
feeling compelled to try and photograph a Sloth Bear, which was crossing the track, very quickly, in Chitwan. The result was a very poor photograph. Meanwhile, I have felt very disappointed, ever since, as my compulsion also meant that I did not get my bins, at all, on the bear, so had not been able to study it and look at it's features, closely. I have not seen one since and it was my first.....The person that I was travelling with, at the time, only used their bins and made no attempt to photograph the Sloth Bear and, as a consequence, got really great, if brief, views.....

So, ever since, I only try to photograph things rarely and ONLY if I feel happy with the views that I have had through my binoculars..... if I feel I am unable to identify birds with my binocular views and do not have time to photograph ..... then so be it .... I let it go, as one that got away

Last edited:
Spot on Carol, as if to prove your point I was reading your post when a small russet- backed bird shot past the window, so I dutifully grabbed my bins instead of faffing about taking the camera out of its case etc, I managed to find it trying to hide in ‘ grand-père’s apple tree ‘ ( planted by my wife’s grandpa when she was about 5 years old!), it was a male

62 Linnet

which quickly flew off (managed a brief back view pic later, attached now).
Other big news, after two blank days, a Brambling again this morning.

I knew you’d get to 40, I reckon you can make 60 by the end of the year:t:

Attachments

• Linotte 13.4.20.jpg
    Linotte 13.4.20.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Been neglecting my garden list since the last few weeks. Been doing a separate lockdown garden list, so should be able to work out additions to the existing list as below -

1st Jan 2020
1) Jackdaw
2) Robin
3) Blackbird
4) Blue Tit
5) Herring Gull
6) Redwing
7) Song Thrush
8) Chaffinch
9) House Sparrow
10) Collared Dove

6th Jan 2020
11) Kestrel one in flight (didn't have this last year)

19th Jan
12) Grey Heron 1 over
13) Black-headed Gull - 2 circling nearby
14) Blackcap - 1 female
15) Goldfinch - 3 briefly
16) Dunnock
17) Rook - finally added 3, there's a big Jackdaw roost nearby
18) Cormorant - 1 in flight

20th Jan
19) Pied Wagtail
20) Carrion Crow
21) Wren
22) Long-tailed Tit c5
23) Great Tit

22nd Jan
24) Magpie
25) Feral Pigeon

31st Jan
26) Sparrowhawk

3rd Feb
27) Goldcrest one very active individual working the back garden hedge in the rain

4th Feb
28) Firecrest one calling and then seen briefly (no bins) in the small front garden conifer
29) Coal Tit later, whilst going out to hang the washing
30) Starling one distantly in flight

5th Feb
31) Bullfinch. A nice female in the back hedge for a few minutes.

Feb/March
32) Great Spotted Woodpecker
33) Buzzard

Mar 25th
34) Nuthatch (h)

Last edited:
25th Mar
34) Nuthatch (h)

25th Mar
35) Chiffchaff (omitted from earlier on)

Mar 29th
36) Woodpigeon (obviously forgot earlier!)
37) Canada Goose

30th Mar
38) Raven

3rd April
39) Tawny Owl (h)

5th Apr
40) Great Black-backed Gull
41) Lesser Black-backed Gull
42) Moorhen heard c10pm whilst attempting for Common Scoter over.

6th Apr
43) Linnet
44) Swallow 1 glimpsed late evening heading north

7th Apr
45) Osprey 1 towards the reservoir evening

10th Apr 10th
46) Willow Warbler - nice bird seen briefly behind the hedge
47) Jay
48) Mallard drake over

Need to do the list online properly and check for anything else I've forgotten!

10 Brown Creeper I suspect they have been around all month, but needed to be outside to hear one, then track it down.
11 Barred Owl A regular, but not seen for several months, so great to have back again.

I suspect there is a small flock of Red Crossbills flying around, but not 100% confident on the call ID, so am going to have to wait until they settle low enough for me to see.

Just reading back through January postings. Thank you, so much, Amy, for sharing your Barred Owl photograph. What a stunner and Owls are one of my favourite bird families....

This is one of the things that I love about this thread - that people can post from all around the world and you feel like you are with them sharing their experiences and seeing through their eyes and willing them on in their garden bird watching. Just fabulous. Thank you, everyone. o:D

Last edited:
Despite being in this house for 22 years, this clearly is a unique period and I have never before spent twenty consecutive days birding from the garden. Of course, every prospect that I will spend the next twenty days doing so and maybe even the twenty after that but I did a quick analysis of records for that twenty day period to understand the frequencies with which I had seen the 53 species so far this lockdown:-

20 days (100%) Mallard, Feral Pigeon, Woodpigeon, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Jackdaw, Carrion Crow, Blue Tit, Starling, Blackbird, House Sparrow & Goldfinch (12 species)
19 days (95%) Great Tit & Robin (2 species)
18 days (90%)Magpie
17 days (85%) Collared Dove
16 days (80%) Sparrowhawk
14 days (70%) Moorhen, Buzzard & Dunnock (3 species)
12 days (60%) Greenfinch
9 days (45%) Peregrine & Long-tailed Tit (2 species)
8 days (40%) Stock Dove
7 days (35%) Swallow
6 days (30%) Wren & Song Thrush (2 species)
5 days (25%) Rook & Pied Wagtail (2 species)
4 days (20%) Canada Goose, Lapwing, Grey Heron & Chaffinch (4 species)
3 days (15%) Kestrel, Blackcap, Willow Warbler & Chiffchaff (4 species)
2 days (10%) Shelduck, Mandarin, Black-headed Gull, Little Egret, Green Woodpecker & Raven (6 species)
1 day (5%) Greylag Goose, Mute Swan, Common Scoter, Common Gull, Red Kite, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Coal Tit, House Martin, Redwing & Meadow Pipit (10 species)

All the best

Last edited:
I've not done a list yet, but it's odd how different it can be even between gardens (or "gardens") which aren't that far away.

I think Paul Chapman is in the West Country so probably around the same latitude as me, but my 100%ers over the past month or so are a bit different to his:

Rose-necked parakeet
Woodpigeon
Mistle thrush
Robin
Blue tit
Coal tit
Great tit
Fecking b@stard starlings
Magpie
Blackbird
Dunnock
Wren
Herring gull & carrion crow, but only overhead.

With honourable mentions to goldfinches and long-tailed tits.

I'm not sure what's happened to the jays - we used to have up to five at a time but have only seen one in the past month.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back