• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark-rumped Swift at Doi Lang, Thailand. (1 Viewer)

noble-lite

Hi - 12 Dec 2019. Fairly sure this image is of a Dark-rumped Swift ? Please comment.

Attachments

• FF7R2409 Doi Lang Dark-rumped Swift (Pacific).jpg
    FF7R2409 Doi Lang Dark-rumped Swift (Pacific).jpg
    598.9 KB · Views: 120
I believe this is a vagrant to Thailand, so should be treated with caution. If it was Pacific or Cook's, we should be able to see the sides of the white rump even in profile, and the underparts are heavily scaled, so you may be right. It would be a good idea to seek an opinion from someone with experience of the species, however.

I've never seen this species, but the unbarred black undertail coverts are supposedly a very good feature for Dark-rumped and can clearly be seen here.

Is this the only image you have?

I think James is right in that we don't have a profile view here. The white rump on Pacific/Cook's wraps around a bit, so can be seen in side profile, but not from a view like this.

Andrew, I have a feeling that solid black undertail-coverts are common to all the species of Fork-tailed Swift except perhaps for Blyth's, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Andrew, I have a feeling that solid black undertail-coverts are common to all the species of Fork-tailed Swift except perhaps for Blyth's, but I may be wrong.

I'm only going on what it says in the Lynx guide to Thailand, where it does mention the solid black undertail coverts of Dark-rumped as distinctive from Pacific and Cook's. The illustrations in the book show this quite well. From James's photos it seems that the pale barring can be hard to see on Cook's, although it's present. There's no trace in the OP's photo but that may be an effect of the quality of the photo.

There is only the one image, regrettably, but what you all say is very informative. We certainly did see Cook's Swifts in the same area on three consecutive days. It's only when you review images that things get interesting.

Thanks guys. We have actually had some input from a co-author of the Lynx book, who says - The narrow white rump-patches of Cook's can sometimes be incredibly hard to see in the field. Throat colour is ok for Cook's (though the recent article in latest BirdingASIA has demonstrated how similar pale throat Dark-rumped can have). The very narrow pale fringes to undertail-coverts can also be hard to see, unless the bird is really close. There have been various independent attempts to observe Dark-rumped Swift and photograph it, but there has not been a confirmed record since the specimen collected in the old days.

From this angle, the only indicative feature to separate the two to me is the white scaling on belly. I think the scaling is too narrow to be a Dark-rumped. It looks like a perfect Cook's to me.'

Thanks guys. We have actually had some input from a co-author of the Lynx book, who says - The narrow white rump-patches of Cook's can sometimes be incredibly hard to see in the field. Throat colour is ok for Cook's (though the recent article in latest BirdingASIA has demonstrated how similar pale throat Dark-rumped can have). The very narrow pale fringes to undertail-coverts can also be hard to see, unless the bird is really close. There have been various independent attempts to observe Dark-rumped Swift and photograph it, but there has not been a confirmed record since the specimen collected in the old days.

From this angle, the only indicative feature to separate the two to me is the white scaling on belly. I think the scaling is too narrow to be a Dark-rumped. It looks like a perfect Cook's to me.'

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back