• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shorebirds Barbados this weekend (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
The attached photo shows two tringa sp which is where my question is. I think I know the smaller ones.

Thanks in advance
Niels

Attachments

• Tringa q P1150334.jpg
    Tringa q P1150334.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 87
One peep

In the attached image I have two semipalmated plovers and between those a semipalmated sandpiper. However, the right hand bird seems a little larger, is it a pectoral sandpiper?

Niels

Attachments

• Peeps P1150399.jpg
    Peeps P1150399.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 70
#1 - two Lesser Yellowlegs IMO
#2 - you're right with Pectoral Sandpiper

Agree on the pec, but greater yellow-legs I think on bill length and width (thickness), apparent size and speckling on neck side of the first bird (hidden on second)

The "pectoral" looks small and with a thin and pointy all dark bill, isn't it a Least Sandpiper?

I wondered about that but thought it too large in comparison to the others present (but small for a pec) but perhaps you're right...

I also considered Least Sandpiper but thought it can't have such a solid dark breast. I may be mistaken.

Lou, do you agree with Lesser or Greater Yellowlegs?

I saw a number of least sandpiper there. They were all considerably smaller than the plovers. This bird is further away than the others. Can there really be such an optical illusion in size?

Niels

I saw a number of least sandpiper there. They were all considerably smaller than the plovers. This bird is further away than the others. Can there really be such an optical illusion in size?

Niels

Admit I'm slightly agnostic although tending to pectoral perhaps because of the size business. Some forensics would solve it but meanwhile, some fuel to the fire: we know pecs normally have that pale yellowish bill base patch and that their bills are long-ish. But note 2 of the headline ebird photos: both show all-dark or nearly so bills, and the in flight photo gives the impression of a short-ish bill...

Breeding Pectorals have completely black bills...
Concerning the Yellowlegs, they remind me more of Marsh Sandpipers (which Lesser normally do) than of Greenshanks (which Greater normally do)

I agree that the yellowlegs are both Lesser and the peep in question is a Least. I can't explain the fact that the Least looks a bit larger than the Semi, but it doesn't sway my opinion. Pectoral is really a larger bird, which doesn't match the impression that the brown peep's proportions and features (head size, legs, etc.) look nearly identical to the Semipalmated Sandpiper.

Agree with Lesser YL and Least Sandpiper for birds in question. A Pectoral would really stand out size wise among those others.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back