• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Warbler (1 Viewer)

ruffusstone

I saw over Christmas Dec 27th a bird in my garden that I have never seen before. It was on my flowering Mahonia sipping nectar from the flowers along with the bees and bumble bees. I have read that they migrate to sunnier climes but having looked on the internet at photos and videos on youtube it most definitely was a garden warbler. My garden is very close ( few meters) from Ancient woodland. Has anyone else seen one this late and with this behaviour?

If I've learned anything in my birding years, it is that birds don't do what they are expected to do ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BirdForum :t:

Hi

Welcome to Birdforum.

Good to have you with us.

I think if it had been a Garden Warbler it would have been reported by other Birders as it would be exceptionally rare for one to stay over winter. Have you checked a female Blackcap out as we have had them in our garden taking the nectar off the Mahonia in previous winters.

Here is a photo of one in our garden at the Mahonia
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=128270

Welcome to BirdForum! I am sure you will find lots to interest you here, and I hope you enjoy your visits.

Hi ruffusstone and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi

Welcome to Birdforum.

Good to have you with us.

I think if it had been a Garden Warbler it would have been reported by other Birders as it would be exceptionally rare for one to stay over winter. Have you checked a female Blackcap out as we have had them in our garden taking the nectar off the Mahonia in previous winters.

Here is a photo of one in our garden at the Mahonia
http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=128270

I live on the top of a hill its sourrounded completely by ancient woodland in the middle of a large housing estate, its rather like a little nature island so the birds there are only spotted by the residents living there. lots of residents feed them in the winter. We do have black caps here so I am used to seeing them. It definitely wasnt one of them. I am 100% certain it was a garden warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back