• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

February Moths - 2014 (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

An addition on the 1st with a Case-bearing Clothes Moth Tinea pellionella proving that the rather low level colony in my house is still extant. It takes the patch yearlist to 11 - 6 macros & 5 micros and 12 overall with one additional micro.

All the best

What seems to be a single Dark Chestnut at security lights in South Kensington on the 2nd. If it is, it's a new site record.

Hopefully a good omen for the year.

Martin

Hello all.
I have struggled this year so far but finally feel the ball is rolling now after last night's catch od 13 moths of 5 species.
8x Tortricodes alternella, 1x Acleris schalleriana, 2x Chestnut, 1x Pale Brindled Beauty and a garden first Acleris cristana.
All to 125w MV Robinson.
This brings me to 8 species for the year, 2 of which are garden firsts (Early Moth and Acleris cristana)
Though I have only lived at my current address for 2 and a half years.
Here's to more moths!

This morning finally produced a return for me this month as well with an Early Moth and a Pale Brindled Beauty taking the patch yearlist to 13 - 8 macros & 5 micros and 14 overall with one additional micro.

All the best

Yesterday, after the previous nights trapping efforts a quick scout around the garden added 4 Dotted Border's which had alighted on the garden fences about 20 feet from the trap location.
This goes to show that it is always worth checking slightly further away from where you are trapping.
Also added an Emmelina monodactyla sitting in the conifer, so upto 10 species for the year.

This morning added Hebrew Character and March Moth taking the patch yearlist to 15 - 10 macros & 5 micros and 16 overall with one additional micro.

All the best

ustella makes it a trio of new garden moths already this year!
Slightly less about last night despite milder temperatures, it was 9 degrees this morning at 7am but it was very blustery and we had had showers during the night.
7 moths was better than a kick up the bum and I managed to bag a garden first Ypsolopha ustella, that is three trapping sessions this year where I have managed a new moth each time. Very lucky!

Picture of it on Saturday!

Catch Report - 19/02/14 - Back Garden Stevenage - 1x 125w MV Robinson Trap

Macro Moths

1x March Moth
1x Chestnut

Micro Moths

1x Ypsolopha ustella [NFG]
4x Tortricodes alternella

A few additions with Depressaria daucella on Friday and Common Quaker and Early Grey today taking the patch yearlist to 18 - 12 macros & 6 micros and 19 overall with one additional micro.

All the best

2 Common Quaker, Spring Usher and Hebrew Character last night brings the macro species total to five for the year after catching a Pale Brindled Beauty and a Dark Chestnut Thursday night.

First micro of the year just now.....potted for tomorrow.

Cheers, Andy.

I don't have a trap so usually only get to see those trapped in our bathroom overnight. However, I did come across this one, day flying today and got a shot of it when it settled. They are superbly camoflagued in the wild, which isn't always evident when photographed in a pot.
tortricodes alternella

Dave

Attachments

• tortricodes alternella darnley cobham trail 240214xxx.jpg
    tortricodes alternella darnley cobham trail 240214xxx.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 60
3rd moth sp of the year

Considering how the temperature fell last night after dusk, I was surprised to find this Oak Beauty at the MV light at sunrise this morning. Always a great moth. Takes my total to 3 sp this year and, as yet, not a single micro.
Regards,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_01570001.JPG
    DSC_01570001.JPG
    191.2 KB · Views: 55
Trapping at the London Wetland Centre in the week produced:

3 Common Quaker Orthosia cerasi
3 Clouded Drab Orthosia incerta
2 Hebrew Character Orthosia gothica
1 Endrosis sarcitrella
1 Diurnea fagella

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back