• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (4 Viewers)

March 17th.

51. Green Woodpecker - could just about hear a distant yaffle, twice

More impressive was an obvious movement of Fieldfares heading east very high, 150 in total. Also my first male Blackcap of the year, in song.

Steve

About on time....no.59 arrived, however it was just overshadowed by a previous visitor only this time in the garden....but so brief. :eek!:

Attachments

• P2180002.jpeg      FOY Chiffy.jpeg
    P2180002.jpeg FOY Chiffy.jpeg
    58.8 KB · Views: 40
  • P2170840.jpeg   Surprise mle.LSW 1..jpeg
    P2170840.jpeg Surprise mle.LSW 1..jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 63
Not been very organised of late.

New additions in Mabe (nr Falmouth) have been Coal Tit, Buzzard yesterday and a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Other highlights have been a regular single Redwing, with a flock of 20 one day, up to 7 Blackbird and a max of 4 Blackcap feeding on the Hawthorn and Ivy berries. One of the Blackcaps was colour-ringed from a local study which was nice. Small White butterfly the other day too.

Up at 'the field' - possibly Goldcrest was new, and then today 2 plump Mistle Thrushes lazily over. Pygmy Shrew the only other interesting thing.

Finally (nearly), was going to go down to the parents in France, but couldn't gather the willpower to travel - looks like it's too late now for a long time at least ...

And spring migration possibly just around the corner - have to catch up on gardening too (been too wet and windy - growing soft in my old age). So ...

Speaking of gardening, whilst doing the first weeding of the year this morning
I heard the welcome sound of the first:

53 Blackcap

One day later than last year’s first one. Still c40 Brambling feeding around the house!

March 19th.

52 Linnet - heard only, maybe a passage bird as a few Mipits went over too

My third day of compliant non-going out birding. I think that's about as much as I can stand.

Steve

March 19th.

Working from home, so a look out of the window means I will join a thread I don't normally come onto: hello everybody!

So far this morning:

1. Greenfinch
2. Great Tit (pair)
3. Blue Tit (pair)
4. Long-tailed Tit
5.Wren (singing male)
6. Dunnock (singing male)
7. Black-headed Gull ad over
8. Carrion Crow
9. Robin
10. Woodpigeon 11 flushed from the school field beyond the brook, straight over us.
11. Starling (probably roosting behind my fascias!)
12. House Sparrow

Update early afternoon:

13. Chaffinch (singing male)
14. Lesser Black-backed Gull ad circling for about ten mins
15. Magpie (pair)

John

Last edited:
March 19th.

Working from home, so a look out of the window means I will join a thread I don't normally come onto: hello everybody!

So far this morning:

1. Greenfinch
2. Great Tit (pair)
3. Blue Tit (pair)
4. Long-tailed Tit
5.Wren (singing male)
6. Dunnock (singing male)
7. Black-headed Gull ad over
8. Carrion Crow
9. Robin
10. Woodpigeon 11 flushed from the school field beyond the brook, straight over us.
11. Starling (probably roosting behind my fascias!)
12. House Sparrow

Update early afternoon:

13. Chaffinch (singing male)
14. Lesser Black-backed Gull ad circling for about ten mins
15. Magpie (pair)

John

Welcome aboard John.:t:

Thank you guys...

Last update for today:

16. Goldfinch (3)
17. Mallard drake over, following the line of the brook.

Hopefully more tomorrow!

John

Its been a while since my last update, away with work for large periods since but finally caught up with eBird and here are the latest additions:

64 Water Rail 21-Jan-20
65 Pink-footed Goose 22-Jan-20
66 Little Egret 24-Feb-20
67 Yellowhammer 26-Feb-20
68 Canada Goose 11-Mar-20
69 Barn Swallow 11-Mar-20
70 Dunlin 12-Mar-20
71 Short-eared Owl 12-Mar-20
72 Eurasian Jackdaw 15-Mar-20
73 Common Chiffchaff 16-Mar-20
74 Black Redstart 16-Mar-20
75 Eurasian Siskin 17-Mar-20
76 Redwing 18-Mar-20
77 Brambling 18-Mar-20
78 Eurasian Linnet 18-Mar-20
79 Reed Bunting 18-Mar-20
80 Long-tailed Tit 18-Mar-20

Black Redstart was a tick, despite seeing several on my street in years gone past this one finally behaved :)
The next few weeks could be good due to the enforced period at home!

Morning all,

20th March upon us and Spring officially here (allegedly).

New birds already today:

18. Blackbird (male singing)
19. Herring Gull (ad over)
20. Chiffchaff (male singing - spring migrant!)

I'll also mention the visits from my regular dog fox, Big Whitey, yesterday evening.

Cheers

John

Morning all,

20th March upon us and Spring officially here (allegedly).

I'll also mention the visits from my regular dog fox, Big Whitey, yesterday evening.

Cheers

John
How many years has he been visiting you John?
I made a dash for freedom and went to the food shops in the nearby town, first time out of Manigod in 11 days (It’s all of a 10 minute drive:eek!:), carrying my self-signed justification paper for being away from home in my pocket, most disappointed I didn’t see any gendarmes....
A mini influx of Brambling , at least 45 feeding this morning:t:

I made a dash for freedom and went to the food shops in the nearby town, first time out of Manigod in 11 days (It’s all of a 10 minute drive:eek!:), carrying my self-signed justification paper for being away from home in my pocket, most disappointed I didn’t see any gendarmes....

Fortunately we are not at that stage (yet) in the UK, though cases in Leics shot up from 7 to 17 yesterday and this is one of the less-affected areas.

I have made the decision to limit my birding to my garden except when I need to go shopping, on those occasions making a short visit to the nearest reservoir where it is easy to avoid contact with anyone. Plus if I feel I'm going mad with isolation I might have a very occasional visit to Rutland Water.

Whitey is over three and a half, which for a fox round here seems to be quite old. He has a limp on his left rear leg which he's had from the age of about one, giving him a hippity-hoppity gait until he reaches a flat out run, when he looks normal. In addition to a lovely white tip to his brush, it has a wonderfully jaunty upturn - always! (There are photos on John's Mammals going back through his career.)

Lots of Brambling - lucky you... thin on the ground here this winter.

Cheers

John

Whitey is over three and a half, which for a fox round here seems to be quite old. He has a limp on his left rear leg which he's had from the age of about one, giving him a hippity-hoppity gait until he reaches a flat out run, when he looks normal. In addition to a lovely white tip to his brush, it has a wonderfully jaunty upturn - always! (There are photos on John's Mammals going back through his career.)

Lots of Brambling - lucky you... thin on the ground here this winter.

Cheers

John
ThanksJohn, I was being lazy as I remember seeing Whitey photos on your mammal thread.
Ken, I didn’t see a Redpoll all last year ( first zero sightings year since
I arrived in France in 2006), Siskin virtually absent all winter, same for Crossbill, none since last August.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back