• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wheatears & Shrikes / Qatar (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Good morning,

For the Wheatears I'm open for suggestions.

The Shrikes should be Red-tailed, which are the most common in the country, but these 2 look too white/grey to me, somehow different.

Thanks for your input!

Jose

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 51
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 70
no, not LGS but ssp. pallidirostris, recently put back to excubitor. edit: i see that it is aucheri which breeds in the region, pallidirostris occures during winter. aucheri is also under excubitor now, so, Great Grey Shrike.

Last edited:
no, not LGS but ssp. pallidirostris, recently put back to excubitor. edit: i see that it is aucheri which breeds in the region, pallidirostris occures during winter. aucheri is also under excubitor now, so, Great Grey Shrike.
OK, thank you Lou. Good feedback. I didn't think of Great Grey Shrike for some reason. So is it plain GGS or a subspecies of it? Cheers!

Pallidirostris occurs on passage and the odd bird probably winters. If you ask me, no.3 looks a bit like one. No.4 looks more like aucheri.

For the time being, both races are part of the Great Grey Shrike complex.

Agree on Great Grey Shrike complex, date of observation would be most welcome. In Iran and Arabian Peninsula some birds look like in between aucheri and pallidirostris. True aucheri should show more black in loral area clearly joining over the bill, whereas pallidirostris should show small mask in front of the eye, much paler upperparts and above all much longer primary projection. None of these features are visble here, except there is no black above the bill. If they have been seen recently it must be aucheri, if during migration period, both taxa are possible

Agree on Great Grey Shrike complex, date of observation would be most welcome. In Iran and Arabian Peninsula some birds look like in between aucheri and pallidirostris. True aucheri should show more black in loral area clearly joining over the bill, whereas pallidirostris should show small mask in front of the eye, much paler upperparts and above all much longer primary projection. None of these features are visble here, except there is no black above the bill. If they have been seen recently it must be aucheri, if during migration period, both taxa are possible
Thank you for the contribution, Tom. Very helpful. Photos were taken end of March last year.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back