• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Please wasp like (1 Viewer)

Saphire

Christine
I have been trying for the last couple to find a look alike for this wasp type bug. I give up, any ideas.

Attachments

• waspfly030706-003a.jpg
    waspfly030706-003a.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 133
Think I'm going to be brave and have a go at this because I've never seen it! (but don't expect any species name, I just want to help narrow it down)

I'm struggling to see if it has 2 pairs of wings - did you notice? And is the wing colour in the picture accurate? It looks weird...

For a starting point I'm going to say it's either in the Order Neuroptera or Plecoptera, but don't worry - I'm probably wrong!

I have just had a look at the other photos I have, they are not as clear so I can't tell. it was caught in a spiders web quite high up in the greenhouse so I couldn't get a top view.

Hi Christine

Almost certainly Hemiptera (check out the piercing mouthparts)

Beyond that i am less certain(poss Leptopterna dolobrata)

HARRY!! CM OVER ERE AN AV ALOOK

Last edited:
Saphire said:
I have just had a look at the other photos I have, they are not as clear so I can't tell. it was caught in a spiders web quite high up in the greenhouse so I couldn't get a top view.

Hello Saphire,

Could you post your other pictures, if you have any taken from another angle.
I think it could be a Hemipteran. That's an evil looking rostrum (sucking tube) tucked under it's head. It looks like the elytra (wing cases) may have been displaced, thus changing the look of the creature.

Harry

mothman said:
blimey that was quick!

Superman's got nothin on me for speed. lol. Actually Colin, your post wasn't there when I started my reply to Saphire. We both seem to be thinking along the same lines though. the antennae are also right for a Hemipteran.

Harry

These are the other two I have. It is a puzzler. I wish I was able to get the top view at the time.

Attachments

• waspfly030706.jpg
    waspfly030706.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 120
  • waspfly030706-002.jpg
    waspfly030706-002.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 117
Saphire said:
These are the other two I have. It is a puzzler. I wish I was able to get the top view at the time.

Hello Saphire,

Both the other pics confirm my and Colins view that it is a Hemipteran but without an view of the upper side I can't narrow it down further. Sorry.

Harry

Hello again Christine

No I'm afraid not, as Diptera (true flies) don't possess the antennae that your specimen does.
Persevere with the Hemiptera group as this is a definite.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back