• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Disappointing first visit to Welches Dam (Ouse Washes) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm Stewart

Left Milton Keynes in sunshine, and drove into more and more cloudy weather as we approached the RSPB reserve. This was also my first experience of driving in the Fens off the main road system. Not impressed, excessively bumpy - where do our taxes go? Certainly not here.

Although I thought I understood how the washes work during winter floods, I wasn't prepared to see water extending < all > the way across from the Welches Dam hide to the far bank, about 1km away*. Fully expected to disturb other bird watchers as we entered the hide with my heavy tripod, telescope, camera & lenses, transport trolley etc. I needn't have worried. We were alone, to be joined later by one friendly lady with telescope, binocs and tripod. Around lunchtime we were joined by an extended noisy family, the younger members of which were clearly bored out of their minds so thumped their walking sticks on the floor. The warden popped in and asked if everything was OK. I said nothing.

So what birds did we see, ...?

Tufted duck, black headed gull, mute swan, mallard, immature herring gull(?) and a chaffinch.

...and more importantly, photograph?
None. No bird was remotely close enough for me to waste time setting up my gear.

So we left at around 2pm and went off to the Camera Fair at Cottenham, hoping to find that somehow a Canon EF 1200mm f5.6 might be on offer - it might just have enough reach! The sun was now shining weakly. Got to Cottenham to find that "There is no Camera Fair here today" and that's after a clear announcement in the AP two weeks ago.

So returned to Milton Keynes, somewhat wiser about the Fens, and pleased that here I can get close enough to many birds to get quite reasonable close-ups of them.

*In the hide there were excellent diagrams showing the different states of these washes during the year, and describing their management. For people travelling some distance, like ourselves, it would have been helpful to have this info on the RSPB website, and perhaps updated to indicate just how extensive the floods are.

Interesting report. I visited the Ouse Washes early one Sunday morning last November - got there around 7.30, left at 10.30 and the only other people I saw were 2 fishermen!

I too didn't see anything of note, although I was impressed with the 10 hides and the sheers size of the expanse of water. Managed to get a pic of a Great Crested Grebe (only recognised as such when photoshop applied as sun very low and in eyes).

Maybe it's the wrong time of year? Spoke to several people after this visit and they suggested Wicken Fen would have been a better bet.

Attachments

• IMG_2807ck.jpg
    IMG_2807ck.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2806ck.jpg
    IMG_2806ck.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 113
Malcolm Stewart said:
...and more importantly, photograph?
None. No bird was remotely close enough for me to waste time setting up my gear.

Sorry to hear you had such a bad day, and I can understand a little bitterness.

However, I find your attitude disappointing towards the Ouse Washes. At the end of the day Malcolm, what is more important - the welfare of the birds on this huge (and extremely important) site, or you not managing a few photos?

If your attitude to such nature reserves is this (and all you're interested in are photos), then I suggest setting up a feeding station and a small hide in your garden.

Like it or not, birds aren't always close - enjoy them for what they are B :)

No, winter is one of the very best times of year for birding the Washes... though water levels are atypically high at present, I think.

The black arable fields in the area will be holding thousands of winter swans, and the floods play host to large numbers of wildfowl of various varieties. The feeding station around Welches Dam visitor centre has always held good numbers of Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and Tree Sparrow amongst commoner species whenever I've been there (plus Brambling on some occasions). I think I've seen a Merlin every time as well, including one memorable 2-3 minute prolonged chase of a Meadow Pipit directly overhead.

In short: sorry your trip didn't work out for you today, Malcolm.... but there's a lot more to see at the Ouse Washes than six species, so others reading this should not be put off visiting. Wicken is undoubtedly a good reserve to visit (notably in the last hour of daylight for Hen Harriers), but the grand scale of the washes is far more spectacular, as far as I'm concerned. Visitors just need to be aware that the birds are potentially quite widely scattered and/or distant.... it's certainly not like Minsmere or Titchwell (or indeed Milton Keynes ;) )!

Welches Dam is certainly not a Minsmere or Titchwell but can be fantastic for wintering wildfowl. Although very bleak in the depths of winter I have visited when the water has been teeming with wildfowl. It has always been a long walk down to the far hides but the wide expanse has its own charm on a sunny cold sharp winter's day.
However you are right about one thing, the government don't think that us country folk also need roads! They don't realise we pay taxes too!
Sue

Blimey Malcolm! At least you've got all the gear for close ups if you do see 'good' birds, even if they are 'close' in your estimation, they're usually miles away for me LOL Hope the floods don't mean theres a shortage of food on the reserve for wildfowl and waders?

just read David's post: presumably the flooding is beneficial?

deborah4 said:
just read David's post: presumably the flooding is beneficial?
I'm not entirely sure to be honest, Deborah! I think the perfect situation for the washes is that there's plenty of water for the wildfowl, but still a fair scattering of wet grazing land (the sort of habitat that will support feeding Teal and Wigeon, Golden Plovers, Ruff and so on). The full flooding that we have at present occurs at some stage most years, sometimes for lengthy periods, and isn't detrimental as far as I know... but for some reason, I think that if you asked the warden whether that was how he'd ideally like to see the place in January, he wouldn't have it all underwater!

Anyone else know more about this? Am I on vaguely the right track?!

deborah4 said:
Blimey Malcolm! At least you've got all the gear for close ups if you do see 'good' birds,

But even with the "gear" I've struggled to get a good proportion of satisfyingly sharp shots of quite common (and relatively tame) birds such as mallard, coots and moorhens. My suspicions have gradually pointed towards my 5D's centre AF sensor being slightly misaligned wrt the viewfinder square. I've agonised over whether to get a £2K 1D MkIIN with its top grade AF (like my now unused EOS3 film body) but last week I saw an affordable s/h 30D as used very successfully by many on the Canon forums here, so went for that. I'm impressed - my 30D has its centre spot correctly aligned, and my tests last Thursday against local mallard had a good proportion of satisfying results. Hence my visit today to try and extend the same techniques to more species.

It's fairly obvious from the RSPB information displays in the hide that if the water levels were a little lower, then the Welches Dam hides would probably have provided me with near ideal conditions, so I'll probably be back, but I'll phone the warden first.

Actually, we did enjoy our day out visiting what is for us, new territory, the real Fens away from the A roads.

Malcolm Stewart said:
Left Milton Keynes in sunshine, and drove into more and more cloudy weather as we approached the RSPB reserve. This was also my first experience of driving in the Fens off the main road system. Not impressed, excessively bumpy - where do our taxes go? Certainly not here.

Not so much your taxes as the taxes of the people of Cambridgeshire. Fenland is one of the poorest areas in the country. As a former Cambridgeshire County Councillor I know something about the roads in Fenland. Over the years they have been built up by placing new material on top of old. As a result they do not have the proper foundations found in modern roads, some of them starting just as tracks. This is of considerable concern to the County Council particularly if climate change were to produce very hot summers and very wet winters. To bring these roads up to scratch and put in proper foundations would be inordinately expensive

If you don't like our roads, keep out, they will last longer.

Last edited:
dbradnum said:
The feeding station around Welches Dam visitor centre has always held good numbers of Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and Tree Sparrow amongst commoner species whenever I've been there (plus Brambling on some occasions). I think I've seen a Merlin every time as well, including one memorable 2-3 minute prolonged chase of a Meadow Pipit directly overhead.

I'm sorry to hear that you had a disapointing visit to this site - I was there exactly a year ago and had a fantastic day - thousands of duck on site (10+ species), lots of swan movement and a couple of kingfishers kicking about. Personally I don't think it's a great site for photographing wildfowl as it is often a bit distant, you'll get much closer views down the road at Welney WWT. That said the feeding station at Welches Dam is a great spot, it has to be one of the easiest places in the UK to photograph tree sparrow. Along with a supporting cast of goldfinch, reed bunting, gs woodpecker, blue and great tit. I sometimes go there just to spend time at the feeding station. If you can combin here and Welney I'm sure you'll have a great day out next time.

Washland is often at its best at dawn and dusk. With the water so high on the Ouse Washes at the moment many birds have relocated to the Nene Washes which is only flooded in places. The latest update on birds present was on 24/1:
Bewick's Swan c650
Whooper Swan c260
Pintail 650
Wigeon 5600
Black-tailed Godwit 650
Golden Plover 1400
Lapwing 3000
Peregrine 2
Water Pipit 1
Short-eared Owl 11

Don't expect to see all of these on a single visit but head here in the morning (when the sun's behind you) and you'll see a lot.

I was puzzled by the initial report. I'd expect there to be all the common ducks about. Even at Welney which was equally flooded I had Pocihard, Teal, Shoveler, GAdwall, Pintail etc

Also no Tree Sparrows? There are usually lots on the feeder by the visitors centre!

I don't visit Ouse Washes as much I should I usally pop into Welney. Bit of a dude really nice warm hide, and food!

pduxon said:
I was puzzled by the initial report. I'd expect there to be all the common ducks about. Even at Welney which was equally flooded I had Pocihard, Teal, Shoveler, GAdwall, Pintail etc

Also no Tree Sparrows? There are usually lots on the feeder by the visitors centre!

I don't visit Ouse Washes as much I should I usally pop into Welney. Bit of a dude really nice warm hide, and food!

The RSPB have a webcam at the feeders, so we should all be able to see for ourselves!

http://www.rspb.org.uk/webcams/feeders/ouse_washes/index.asp

Thinking about it, one of the first postings on this thread hit a nerve - the bird's welfare and environment are the priority, not our pleasure in watching them.

I've been considering going to Welney but I've been put off by the report that a lot of it is closed due to flooding at the moment - has anyone been recently?

SarahK said:
I've been considering going to Welney but I've been put off by the report that a lot of it is closed due to flooding at the moment - has anyone been recently?

I was there on the 29 January and only the main hide was open. We had to make a long detour to get there from Welches Dam due to the road being closed due to flooding. Apart from seeing the two Tundra Bean Geese it was not really worth the effort.
I enjoyed an hour in the Visitors Centre at Welches Dam though watching Tree Sparrows, Reed Buntings and Goldfinches feeding on the ground at very close range. No Corn Buntings or Bramblings this time though. Roger

SarahK said:

Yes, I was there on Feb 2nd, Ramsar day. The observatory and main hide were open, but the path leading to the other hides, and lying just above normal water level was under water, and only suitable for people wearing wellies. (Whether wellie enabled access was allowed, I'm not sure, probably not in our current risk/litigation averse society.)
We travelled via the outskirts of Ely, and Littleport so I've no idea whether the road and bridge across the washes was open.

Compared to my disappointing visit to Welches Dam the previous Sunday, conditions couldn't have been more different. The sun was out nearly all day, and we stayed on to see a glorious sunset. Lots of whooper swans and pochard close to the main hide, and I was able to take plenty of photographs. Didn't see any Bewick swans, but there were 3 geese which none of us in the hide could identify.
I now know why there were so few birds over at Welches Dam - they like being fed, and they know where the restaurant is. Whether it's good for them, I'm not sure. I'm very pleased to have made the visit when we did - conditions this week wouldn't have been as good.

After our visit, I joined the WWT so must try visiting their other sites.

Malcolm Stewart said:
This was also my first experience of driving in the Fens off the main road system. Not impressed, excessively bumpy - where do our taxes go? Certainly not here.

Malcolm,
This is the fens, imagine trying to keep a road level when the ground is continually subsiding as the land dries out, every road would have roadworks on continuously! I love the remoteness of the fens, without the bumpy roads it just wouldn't be the fens!

Cheers
Nick

Malcolm Stewart said:
Yes, I was there on Feb 2nd, Ramsar day. The observatory and main hide were open, but the path leading to the other hides, and lying just above normal water level was under water,

Malcolm it was'nt just Ouse washes that was poor on the 28th so was Welney 2 female Scaup, Loads of Pochard and a few Whoopers, due to the very high water levels- the paths were under 3 ft of water

We travelled via the outskirts of Ely, and Littleport so I've no idea whether the road and bridge across the washes was open.

Road is currently open

Compared to my disappointing visit to Welches Dam the previous Sunday, conditions couldn't have been more different. The sun was out nearly all day, and we stayed on to see a glorious sunset. Lots of whooper swans and pochard close to the main hide, and I was able to take plenty of photographs. Didn't see any Bewick swans, but there were 3 geese which none of us in the hide could identify.
I now know why there were so few birds over at Welches Dam - they like being fed, and they know where the restaurant is. Whether it's good for them, I'm not sure. I'm very pleased to have made the visit when we did - conditions this week wouldn't have been as good.

After our visit, I joined the WWT so must try visiting their other sites.

Copy of email from Ouse Washes Webs count

With the drop in flood levels over the last two weeks (3.10m on 22nd Jan to 2.12m on 5th Feb), most duck numbers have now increased significantly.

Wigeon are now up to over 22000 and teal 2415. Gadwall numbers have increased ten-fold to 185, pintail have gone up from 291 to 1823 and shoveler from 56 to 339. Perhaps surprisingly, tufted duck and pochard numbers have also continued to rise. reaching 1866 and 2974 respectively. 19 goldeneye were seen over the course of the count. Great crested grebe numbers are also around in relatively large numbers, although there was no sign of the red-necked grebe that has been sighted on several occasions. All this ensures a varied selection of wildfowl is now visible from most of the hides..

Despite the time of year, it would appear whooper and Bewick's numbers are also slightly up from last count, standing at 3090 and 2495 respectively. Still a great sight as they leave the washes at dawn.

5 water pipits were counted, but unfortunately for visitors to the washes they were all recorded on the Cradge Bank side of the reserve. On the hide side, numerous stonechats are still showing well along the Delph river.

Looks like Ouse may be worth a visit now :D

ChinaBirds said:
Malcolm,

...I love the remoteness of the fens...
Cheers
Nick

That's interesting. "Remoteness" is something I've not felt anywhere in the Fens. Traversing the narrow mountain tracks of the Cambrian Mountains or the Dingle Peninsula, yes, and on some of the quiet west Normandy coasts, but not so far in the Fens - perhaps I need to stray even further away from the A roads and the route to Welches Dam!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back