Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

What would be your choice ?

Old Sunday 28th December 2003, 13:31   #1
slawekpar

What would be your choice ?

Hi

I am changing my old Bresser for new roof binos.
I have saved for them about $300 :).

I found 3 models which seem to be a good choice for reasonable price.
I mean NIKON 10X42 MONARCH ATB ( by the way is there any difference between MONARCH ATB and ATB PC ) Pentax 10x42 DCF HR II
and Audubon Binoculars 10x42 Equinox.
Pentax and Nikon have the same price about $260, Audubon is $220.
Did I miss any binos worth consideration ?
I am curious what would be your choice ?

I am thinkin' of buying Nikon Monarch.

Thanks in advance

Slawek

PS. I wish I could test them before buying.
Old Sunday 28th December 2003, 17:10   #2
Beverlybaynes
Mod Squad

Oh, DO find a way to try them out before buying, if you possibly can! Think of the binos the same way as a new car -- you wouldn't buy one without driving it first, would you?

Is there a camera shop around that might also carry binoculars? Go in and take some models for a 'test drive'. And by 'test drive', I mean: don't just look through them across a counter. Scan the entire store. Ask if you might step outside (take a clerk with you, if they're a little nervous about letting you roam outside with binos you haven't paid for) and check them out in the daylight. Focus on things across the street or down the block. Carry them around your neck on a strap for a few minutes, if you can, to see if the weight might be a factor for you.

Go on a group birding trip, and ask others to try out their binos -- and you'll find that the majority of birders are very happy to share what they have.

For what it's worth, I carry Swift Ultralite 8x42s -- very lightweight, very reasonable (under US$200 from Eagle Optics), and (for my budget, at least), top notch.

And binocular weight isn't a problem for me -- I use an over-the-shoulder harness to tote them about.

Good luck with whatever you purchase!

Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly.
--Langston Hughes

Last edited by Beverlybaynes : Sunday 28th December 2003 at 17:13.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 28th December 2003, 19:15   #3
scampo
Steve Campsall

It's fair to suggest you must try hard to try out the binoculars before you buy them - but I would dare to suggest that the Nikon Monarch's will be entirely suitable and excellent value for money. They are nowhere near the bottom of Nikon's range and I have tried some of the "lower" range binos, which are very good, so... the Monarch's ought to be even better!

Nikon have a very good reputation worldwide and would also be easy to have repaired wherever you are.

One thing - why 10x? Very many birders prefer 8x for the ease of holding steady along with the often wider and brighter field of view: important aspects when watching birds. That said, many do go for the slightly higher magnification - and with the Monarch's the 10x also offer an excellent wide field of view (the same as their highest grade binos, which are top grade by anyone's standards).

If I couldn't try first, I'd go for the Nikons - they are just bound to be good with such a reputation behind them.

Last edited by scampo : Sunday 28th December 2003 at 19:17.
Old Sunday 18th January 2004, 21:00   #4
boznia

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42s and am very happy with them. Unlike most birders, I cannot afford expensive equipment ( whenever I go out, everyone has Swarovski or Leica ). So I saved up and bought these, I tried some similar priced roof prisms over here ( Opticron verano & imagic, bynolt eagles ) and preferred these ones. They are also the lightest ones you'll get in this class. Do try them though, as with all roofs at this price the Depth of Field can be a little narrow.
Still they are bright, as far as I can tell. Although I haven't let myself try leica's or Swarovski's - if I don't know how good they are, I won't worry about what I am missing!

Good luck,

Ben
Old Sunday 18th January 2004, 21:24   #5
scampo
Steve Campsall

You must frequent only upper-class bird hides - in Leicestershire many birders use other than top makes. Only this year after a lifetime of birding have I been able to stretch to those dizzy heights.

(-:
Old Sunday 18th January 2004, 21:58   #6
rka
ttbirds

You may want to check out the Swift Audubon 828HHS. Got a very good review in BVD and sells for around US$300
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: