• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orkney birds (1 Viewer)

Mike Tom

Three form the Orkneys this August. I have never seen so many different birds in an area !.

I think the duck is a female mallard as I think the blue patch is evident on its side ,although I cannot pick a clear stripe over the eye. If not a mallard then a pintail or a gadwall ? The smaller duck is an Eider I am sure, judging by the almost unique shape of its bill. The gull maybe a common gull as it has a black eye , but I also think black backed gulls also have a back eye in the juvenile stage ?

Thank you.

Attachments

• DSCF0366.jpg
    DSCF0366.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF0411.jpg
    DSCF0411.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF0406.jpg
    DSCF0406.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 71
First duck is a female Mallard, the eye stripe is visible (but it varies a lot in how distinct it is).

Gulls are hard... this one looks to me like something bigger than a Common, plumage wise it kind of makes me think GBB but the bill looks too small for that, so I'm not sure! I'm sure a proper gull person will come along and tell you what it is soon though!

Second duck is indeed a female Eider, though just as a side note they are actually bigger than Mallards and probably the biggest wild duck you're likely to see in the UK (alongside Shelduck and Goosander, but I'd suspect Eider wins on weight if not length/wingspan). Birds tend to look smaller on the sea than in ponds/rivers though!

(edit: biggest *wild* duck, domestic Mallard and Muscovy types can be bigger)

First duck is a female Mallard, the eye stripe is visible (but it varies a lot in how distinct it is).

Gulls are hard... this one looks to me like something bigger than a Common, plumage wise it kind of makes me think GBB but the bill looks too small for that, so I'm not sure! I'm sure a proper gull person will come along and tell you what it is soon though!

Second duck is indeed a female Eider, though just as a side note they are actually bigger than Mallards and probably the biggest wild duck you're likely to see in the UK (alongside Shelduck and Goosander, but I'd suspect Eider wins on weight if not length/wingspan). Birds tend to look smaller on the sea than in ponds/rivers though!

(edit: biggest *wild* duck, domestic Mallard and Muscovy types can be bigger)

Thanks Steve. I will wait for the gull confirmation

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back