• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking medium price 8x42 model. (1 Viewer)

wachipilotes

I am looking for a good 8x42, of a medium price, manageable, light, and with great field and with maybe ED lenses for a better contrast and sharpness, and I have seen some, among them:
Monarch 7 8x42 / Celestron Granite ED 8x42 / Vanguard ED 8x42 ... among others, I believe that these can be adjusted to the budget that I have.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or opinion on these models.
Thank you
Wachi

Medium price 8X42:

1. Meopta Meopro HD 8X42....construction/focus adjustment/optics
2. Vanguard Endeavor ED either II or IV depending on budget. Great optics for the price.
3. Nothing wrong with the Monarch 7 but IMO the ones above are better optically and probably construction. This one does have a large FOV...

Either of the above should serve you well!

Attachments

• DSC_0511.JPG
    DSC_0511.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 58
  • fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1061.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 63
wachipilotes,

You have more than enough choices in the 8X42 format. As Gijs has suggested, if you can view a Meostar 8X42 you can perhaps find one slightly used for a bit more than $500.

Andy W.

I like the Endeavour EDIV(or EDII) and Leupold BX-4 Pro Guide HD in this price range.
I found the Leupold overall the better binocular, but I still have the EDIV and it is probably my most used binocular simply because I always have easy access to it (it live in my work truck).
The above mentioned Meopro HD is fine as well, but I think the BX-4 or EDIV are a little better in certain aspects.
The Monarch 7 is a fine binocular, but has very weak performance on the edges and just overall never seemed as sharp; that said, it has a bright, wide FoV and I know many wildlife technicians who have used theirs for hundreds (thousands?) of surveys with no complaints.

Justin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back