Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Removing Canon eye cups?

Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 02:14   #1
18000bph

Removing Canon eye cups?

Any experience or pointers for removing the rubber eyecups from the eyepieces on the Canon IS binoculars? Is it possible to remove them non-destructively?

Mine are the newer 14x32. My goal is to completely remove the eye cups and put a thin ring of something like felt or moleskin around the end of the eyepieces. The stock eyecups just claim too much precious eye relief even when folded down.

How can these binoculars be so spectacular yet have such terrible eye cups?
Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 04:46   #2
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000bph View Post
Any experience or pointers for removing the rubber eyecups from the eyepieces on the Canon IS binoculars? Is it possible to remove them non-destructively?

Mine are the newer 14x32. My goal is to completely remove the eye cups and put a thin ring of something like felt or moleskin around the end of the eyepieces. The stock eyecups just claim too much precious eye relief even when folded down.

If the rubber eye cups are like the ones on my 12x36 IS III the diopter is integrated with the right eye cup and the top portion of the eye cup turns when setting it.

I wouldn't try removing them on mine.

FWIW I don't have any problem using mine. I use it with the eye cups unfolded.

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 04:57.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 18th June 2019, 09:54   #3
Stanbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18000bph View Post

I have had a look at mine and pulled the bottom edge of the eye cup away from the barrel and to that stage they don't appear to be glued. They appear to be locating by blocks that fit into slots. Don't forget if you want to try and remove them a bit further the right eye cup has the dioptre marking on it so it might have addition location.

If you unfold the eye cup and pull it up with one hand, this lifts the bottom of the eye cup slightly. If you then push up on the eye cup up with your thumb you can at least see how it is located and decide then whether to go any further.

The 12x36 lll that Bob mentions has a totally different eye cup.

Do you wear glasses because I think if you do their fit on your facial features are perhaps critical. I have thin framed glasses with close fitting lenses and don't have any trouble with the eye cups turned down. In fact I can use the same setting with or without glasses. With glasses the eye cups rest on the lenses and without, the eyecups rest on my brows.

Please be careful if you do try to replace the eye cups as the highest point on the eyepiece lens is only about 1 or 2mm below the level of the folded eye cup and would become very vulnerable to damage if you try to reduce it below that.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Last edited by Stanbo : Tuesday 18th June 2019 at 10:03. Reason: Warning added
Old Monday 24th June 2019, 18:05   #4
PeterPS

As Stan said the eyecups of the 12x36 are of a completely different design, and in fact they are quite comfortable. I have removed them from several examples, not for replacing them but because I wanted to increase the dioptric compensation range, and they are very easy to remove.
I do not have any experience with the new Canon models but their eyecups appear to be quite similar, possibly identical, to those of the older 50mm models---and the eyecups of the 50mm models are very hard to remove.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: