• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Recommended brand for rain jacket (1 Viewer)

albatross02

Hi,

10 years ago I bought The North Face Rainjacket ( 3 layer Goretex ).
New this is not waterproof, the jacket more and more is destroyed be the oldness. I have other The North Face product like tent Starburst, polartec 300 fleecejacket Denali. Last one is also 10 years old and looks not really old.
But with the The North Face is all time problem with the zip.
I have got Marmot polartec 200 jacket, also 10 years old, still looks good but never any problem with zip.
On the zip of both brands is written "YKK".
Which brand is reliable for long time ?
For sleeping bag in cold area I use Western Mountaineering ( excellent quality ).

Best regards
Dieter

albatross02 said:
Hi,

10 years ago I bought The North Face Rainjacket ( 3 layer Goretex ).
New this is not waterproof, the jacket more and more is destroyed be the oldness. I have other The North Face product like tent Starburst, polartec 300 fleecejacket Denali. Last one is also 10 years old and looks not really old.
But with the The North Face is all time problem with the zip.
I have got Marmot polartec 200 jacket, also 10 years old, still looks good but never any problem with zip.
On the zip of both brands is written "YKK".
Which brand is reliable for long time ?
For sleeping bag in cold area I use Western Mountaineering ( excellent quality ).

Best regards
Dieter

Are you looking for another Gore tex jacket? I own several northface jackets and they have lasted a long time. For nature watching i tend to waer a ventile jacket. Normally comes in green and does not make as much noise.

Rainjacket

Forest Knights said:
Are you looking for another Gore tex jacket? I own several northface jackets and they have lasted a long time. For nature watching i tend to waer a ventile jacket. Normally comes in green and does not make as much noise.

I have no actual informations.
Goretex jacket I use for all e.g. cycling, trekking, mountain climbing.
10 years ago Goretex was the best for rainprotection with good breathing.

Best regards
Dieter

albatross02 said:
I have no actual informations.
Goretex jacket I use for all e.g. cycling, trekking, mountain climbing.
10 years ago Goretex was the best for rainprotection with good breathing.

Best regards
Dieter

Dieter - Plenty of brands with a good reputation making Gore-Tex jackets

e.g.

Berghaus,
Lowe Alpine,
North Face,
Mountain Equipment

Event is reputedly a good alternative to Gore-Tex, I know Rab use it

Alternatively Paramo has a lot of followers if you don't want to use a membrane based jacket.

Richard D said:
Dieter - Plenty of brands with a good reputation making Gore-Tex jackets

Berghaus,

I've just bought a Berhaus Boulder from M&M Direct

If I'd paid the full price of £200 for it I'd be most unhappy - it stinks of cheap design in a premium price product - the zips are little sad things and don't have decent grab pulls on them, the storm (mild breeze) flap has tiny velcro tabs that must be perfectly aligned for them to work (grrrr)
For £70 odd though it's not bad - totally waterproof and windproof, really excellent head and neck protection - you don't need much underneath it to stay warm - bought it to replace an old Helly Hanson goretex - that was a proper jacket - big zips, press stud storm flap, plenty of pockets, underarm vents and only cost £50.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back