• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins under £150 (1 Viewer)

I do hope they're not sold out by the time I can order them!!!!!!!! (tomorrow)

I also hope my son's life-list is 197 by the time he's 8 (cos it'll mean that mine should've broken the 200 mark!!)

Afternoon Tim,
I expect/know he'll get them. At the moment he uses a pair of Bresser Linear 8x42, optically Ok, nice and light but a sod to focus (usually finishes up borrowing mine!)
I am thinking about a 78ED, in fact I have made one or two enquiries recently about 2nd hand ones. Don't know if I can justify it at this exact moment. Depends partly on whether I go the digiscoping route or DSLR (or even Panasonic FZ10 when/if it ever appears in the UK).

Don't worry simon I'm sure they'll have some left. Warehouse Express offers seem to last for ever (the fieldscope offer has been on nearly all year).

"he's making me take him to Madrid in March so we can see vultures and Spanish Imperial Eagle"...

I see. 8-years-old? Hmm - if his mum falls for that you can surely afford to go for the new ED82, as I'm sure you're son needs one!!

((-:

Hi Steve,
aside from improved waterproofing and given that they take the same eyepieces, what are the benefits of the 82 that justify the much larger price tag?

I haven't used anything over 60 mm ever so I'm really in the dark here.

Tim

I don't really know as I never used the 78. What Nikon say is that the new scope is waterproof and the new eyepieces are now fully multicoated.

The old scope had so many good reviews and with the new eyepieces, I should think it would be a very fine piece of kit. And those prices are amazing, really - and genuine reductions, too. I bought the 82ED because I was stuck with a faulty Opticron scope from In Focus and it seemed a good idea at the time (needless to say I didn't have my wife with me but did have my credit card...).

Here's the review that first made me think about the Nikon ED78 as a possible future buy...

http://www.alula.fi/GB/index.htm

They rated it second only to the new Zeiss and that was with the old zoom. The new zoom still does not offer quite as wide a field as the Zeiss or Swarovski but the image is pin-sharp edge to edge and bright, clear and contrasty. The 30x wide is also a real beauty - the reviewers call it the best eyepiece bar none.

The slight colour cast noted in the review was a feature of the old zoom that has now been fully corrected with the new design. I think the eye relief is better on the new zoom, too, as I can use specs without difficulty.

Last edited:
I have looked through both the 78 & the 82mm, unfortunately not at the same time. Both were excellent optically so I suppose it depends on whether someone wants to spend £500+ extra on the latest model. Personally I would rather spend the money on a good holiday (just booked easyjet for the Pyrenees in early may, as well as Madrid in March, so if anyone knows a reliable site for Wallcreeper....let me know!). Sorry to have hijacked your thread SimonC, let me know what you think of the Nikon's if/when you get them.

Nick-on said:
Sorry to have hijacked your thread SimonC, let me know what you think of the Nikon's if/when you get them.

Not a problem Nick! It's all fairly relevant at least. I did actually look at a Nikon 'scope before I bought my Opticron, but the price then was a bit prohibitive (still is really!)

Anyhoo, I've ordered the Bins this morning & they (Warehouse Express) are confident that they'll be despatched by noon, which means there's a strong possibility I'll get them tomorrow. (no biggy if I don't though, as they're meant as my B/day pressie, so they've got 'til New Year!)

I just hope that "postcardcv's" fears don't materialise. I wouldn't normally buy something like this blind but, on the other hand, I'm a sucker for a bargain!

I'll add my thoughts on the bins to this thread once I've got them (you don't have to read them of course ;) )

Cheers

My £99 Nikon bins came today and all I can say is excellent value for money. The Freiston RSPB site manager looked through them out of the office window on a dull miserable day and also thought they were excellent value for the money especially as you also get a 24 shot disposable camera from Warehouse Express with them. ;)

Last edited:
Geoff Brown said:
My £99 Nikon bins came today and all I can say is excellent value for money. The Freiston RSPB site manager looked through them out of the office window on a dull miserable day and also thought they were excellent value for the money especially as you also get a 24 shot disposable camera from Warehouse Express with them. ;)
Just tested Nikons' 8x42 DCF HP against Leica & Swa equivalents. For the price, I'd opt for Nikon everytime, same with their Spotting Scopes after comparing them to other 'top notch' Scopes!

Top notch bins are not that impressive! Only in the mind of the beholder IMHO.

Only my opinion though;)

CB

Hurrah! My £99 Nikons arrived this morning (just before I went out last minute shopping!!)

First impressions are extremely favourable. The twist-up eye cups are, as others have pointed out - quite loose but this doesn't look like it's going to cause any major problems.
The image appears to be very clear and bright (in direct comparison with my old 8x30s - not sure of the make even! got them from In-Focus - £50 new!)

Yet to try them out "in the field" but I'm not expecting any disappointments!

Thanks again to Steve C. for drawing my attention to these Bargain bins, You've made me a very happy bunny!

Cheers & Season's Greetings to all

scampo said:
Thanks, Simon - a merry Christmas to you, too. I think W.E. owe me a drink, at least!
I'd say! I think there's been 3 sales generated from this thread haven't there?

Happy Christmas & a peaceful New Year to you & yours!

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back