• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pocket bins under £100 (1 Viewer)

boznia

Can anyone suggest a good pair of pocket binoculars for under £100.

I had been looking at Nikon Travelites, but I want something that will fit into the pocket of my coat, so something that folds up.

The ones I have my eye on so far are:

Bushnell 8x25 H20 at £45
Opticron 8X22 Aspheric at £60
Opticron 8X25LE Aspheric at £99
Penatax 8x22 DCF MC at £90
Nikon 10x25 Sportstar at £110

can anybody recommend a good pair?

Tight budget due to baby on the way.

Ben

I was astoundingly lucky to find a air of Leica 8x20's which are by far and away the best compacts... for £99.

Schipol Airport were having an optics sale...the Nikons were the next best

Get yourself a pair of the Nikon Sprint 'London Eye' 7x20's from Warehouse Express. They've still got some left, reduced from £75 to £30.

I bought a pair to put in the car, more as a toy than anything else, but I'm VERY impressed by the quality. They're pin-sharp. They're not quite as compact as some fold-away models, but for £30 I reckon you'll be very pleased. EVERYONE should have a pair of these.

Al

Thanks for the offer, I think I am really looking for a pair that fold up, and will fit into a multitude of pockets.

Sorry Andy.

Have seen Nikon Sportstar III's for £65 - anyone tried these. I know they are probably not serious birding bins, but as long as the picture is clear, and being only for emergencies I might give them a go, unless anyone has had a bad experience with them?

anybody tried them?

I don't expect them to be in the leica league, i reckon you just got lucky there. The question is, would you have bought them if the leica's weren't there?

I can't recomend a specific binocular, but at the end of the market you're looking at a pair of porro bins should certainly out perform any similarly priced roofs. However, you will pay for this by extra but not impossible - bulk, John

boznia said:
Thanks for the offer, I think I am really looking for a pair that fold up, and will fit into a multitude of pockets.

Sorry Andy.
I have a brand new pair of Opticron Taiga 8x25 for £55 if your are interested.

boznia said:
Can anyone suggest a good pair of pocket binoculars for under £100.

I had been looking at Nikon Travelites, but I want something that will fit into the pocket of my coat, so something that folds up.

The ones I have my eye on so far are:

Bushnell 8x25 H20 at £45
Opticron 8X22 Aspheric at £60
Opticron 8X25LE Aspheric at £99
Penatax 8x22 DCF MC at £90
Nikon 10x25 Sportstar at £110

can anybody recommend a good pair?

Tight budget due to baby on the way.

Ben

The Bushnell H20 and another small Bushnell always get good reviews. Also there is a small roof prism bin (8x26) for ~£70 and made by Summit sold by InFocus - and John Lewis of all places - that is pretty good. It has a very wide FOV and a good clear image. Obviously it is not of Leica quality and is a bit bigger than the Leica 8x20, but smaller than an equivalent porro bin. I tried one 2 years ago and was impressed. It is not so good with eyeglasses though. I would certainly recommend it as a cheapish go anywhere bin.

I have a pair of Nikon Sportstar III 8x25. I haven't used it much as I prefer full size porros, but it is handy to put in a jacket pocket when I'm just going for a walk and don't want to have a pair of binoculars hanging from my neck. It seems to be reasonably sturdy and the view is not bad. No problem with specs as it has eyecups you rotate to adjust - a better deal than I have on either of my porros. For some reason the box said it included a strap but didn't - I never bothered to ask for one as I wouldn't use one with these anyway - If I have them out of my pocket I carry them in one hand.

Finally found the summit 8x26 MRs, apparently they are discontinued, but I have found a shop that sells them for £45.

I am going to have a look this week.

Cheers for the advice,

Ben

boznia said:
Finally found the summit 8x26 MRs, apparently they are discontinued, but I have found a shop that sells them for £45.

I am going to have a look this week.

Cheers for the advice,

Ben

Beware flare if you wear glasses.

I keep a pair of Nikon Sprint 8X21's in my car and then pocket when I'm out. I've used them for 10 years now and still think they are great little bins. They should be well within your price range. They don't fold completely but are quite compact.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back