• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2011 Dip List (1 Viewer)

Trystan

Due to a recent run of horrible misses, I felt inclined to start a thread to find others who may have had a worse run of luck than myself so what have you specifically made the effort to see this year and failed to connect with.

My List so far...

Cetti's Warbler
White-tailed Eagle
Subalpine Warbler
Purple Heron
White-throated Robin
Nightjar
Bonaparte's Gull
Pectoral Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Temminck's Stint
Storm Petrel
Wryneck
Grey Phalarope
Ptarmigan
Golden Eagle

Last edited:
Due to a recent run of horrible misses, I felt inclined to start a thread to find others who may have had a worse run of luck than myself so what have you specifically made the effort to see this year and failed to connect with.

My List so far...

Cetti's Warbler
White-tailed Eagle
Subalpine Warbler
Purple Heron
White-throated Robin
Nightjar
Bonaparte's Gull
Pectoral Sandpiper
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Temminck's Stint
Storm Petrel
Grey Phalarope
Ptarmigan
Golden Eagle

I don't twitch generally so I usually don't dip.
I have a rule [because of petrol prices and I don't enjoy driving] of only birdwatching within a 20 mile radius of Kendal.Otherewise I go abroad twice a year and similary adopt the same rule.
The rarities sooner or later end up around here or I see them for fun abroad.
Met a twitcher who was arranging to travel all the way from Cumbria to Southern Ireland to see a House Crow.What a phaff!I went to Goa that week and was heartily sick and tired of them by the second day.
If something turns up and I haven't seen it before I stir myself to make the effort to go to see it.
Yesterday a Buff Breasted Sandpiper turned up at Arnside.By the time I got there I had missed it by 5 minutes.Might try again tomorrow.Its still there.
Can't complain though.My life list is 534.
Should be at least 600 next Easter.Going to Gambia

This year is the first year (and last, like you say, petrol prices!) I've made an effort to have a good list in the UK. Not good by a hard core twitchers standards but very good by my standards. I haven't gone more than 100 miles for anything except the Robin, may have been slightly over and the ones I've missed on long weekends away, most recently in Scotland.

This year is the first year (and last, like you say, petrol prices!) I've made an effort to have a good list in the UK. Not good by a hard core twitchers standards but very good by my standards. I haven't gone more than 100 miles for anything except the Robin, may have been slightly over and the ones I've missed on long weekends away, most recently in Scotland.

Checking my Life List it was actually 541.Now 542 as I saw the Buff Breasted Sandpiper this morning after I dipped on Sunday.
The petrol prices are crippling and surely are having some effect on twitches.
I was the only one there this morning only having to travel 6 miles to see it.
all the best!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back