• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Self-found list 2012 - dantheman (1 Viewer)

Judging by BUBO, it looks like a few of us are up for doing this in quite a big way this year.

Being quite thick at times (I'm sure Dan will vouch for this if need be!) I can't find this on BUBO, all I seem to be able to do is "drill down" through country to county to sites and end up with 0 lists available. I'm clearly doing something wrong, could someone set an old man on the right path please?

Being quite thick at times (I'm sure Dan will vouch for this if need be!) I can't find this on BUBO, all I seem to be able to do is "drill down" through country to county to sites and end up with 0 lists available. I'm clearly doing something wrong, could someone set an old man on the right path please?

Old maybe, thick?? ... can't be given your business acumen, top birding skills etc etc ;)

Looks like you have to be signed on to bubo, View all Lists, select Britain from 'popular locations' then it's a case of filling in the parameters - Year List, Self-found on the right, then 'show list'.

Unless I'm being a bit slow too. Good luck!

Almost certainly a different bird from the one at Par. I saw it the same time as it was at Par. Not many people have been checking College I guess because of the access. That said, I was still actually pretty surprised to see it given that the site must be checked pretty regularly.

I'd like to know what times it's been seen at Par - not mentioned on the birding websites. Ring-necked Duck seen at both sites on the 5th Jan also, although hadn't been reported from Par on the 3rd or 4th (when the one was at College), usually reported daily. On other occasions has been reported as 'no sign' from Par. Not sure how much these ducks do 'tours', although I noted the Bufflehead went back to its 'pond' on the Lizard at least once ...

But you're probably right (and I'd actually prefer it that way.) ;)

03/02/2012

Falmouth area -

89) Linnet 4 - Pendennis
90) Green Woodpecker (h) -Swanvale
91) Black Redstart f type - Swanpool Beach
92) Bar-tailed Godwit 1 - Penryn River

List moving along slowly, not that surprising considering mostly birding Falmouth area only. The Black Redstart was quite possibly a local bird reorienting slightly, but still ... Bar-tailed Godwit suspected the day before, but only very brief obscured flight views from the bedroom window up in Falmouth, so nice to get it this morning properly in a brief visit. Some other nice birds on the day too, including a couple of Whimbrel again and Purple Sand. Yet to even see a Ringed or Golden Plover ...

Last edited:
05/02/2012

Penryn River - Gorrangorras

93) Merlin

Female/1st winter flew overhead and over the river, before perching up in large tree, as viewed from near Lidl's. Not a bad record for town.

06/02/2012

Falmouth area -

Pendennis

94) Common Eider c.18 west

Falmouth Bay

95) Guillemot 1

Swanpool

96) Knot 1 nr. beach
97) Water Rail 3+

Calm and low cloud, but visibility relatively good out to sea, with a distant string of Common Eider. A few Gannet, 4+ Med Gulls but otherwise a bit quiet on the sea. Water Rails were a high count (not that anyone has really been counting!)

Last edited:
06/02/2012 continued ....

Carrick Roads, Falmouth

98) Great Northern Diver 6 (4 Black Rock nr. Pendennis, 2 Loe Beach)

99) Fieldare 3 nr. Mylor Churchtown

100) Black-necked Grebe 62 between Mylor and Feock

It was a bit drizzly, so went out birding again rather than do the work I was meant to be doing. Walked from Penryn to Mylor Churchtown via Flushing, then back over the top. The Black-necked Grebes were a high count compared to previous reports ... flocks of 22 and 40+. Also encountered a drake Eider in the roads, 30+ RB Mergs, 3 Whimbrel (quite possibly different to previous), and 6 further Knot etc. Ended back at Pendennis again with 5+ Purple Sands and the Black Redstart.

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    386.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
12/02/2012

College Reservoir, Falmouth

...... Bittern 2
102) Canada Goose 5

It's been 6 weeks since 2 Bittern were seen at College Res ... although they could have been there all along, the punkbirder rules would seem to indicate that they count - regular visits from myself and others, and there isn't that much habitat that they could be hidden away in. On the other hand, no sightings of a single bird at all for 3 weeks or more in the middle of that period, and fresh birds obviously have reached the county ... still doesn't seem quite right, but hey, others would count them ... ;)

First geese I've even seen this year.

Last edited:
Excuses, excuses, excuses!

Having given it a bit more thought, and having spoken to a birding associate, not really happy about the Bittern to be honest - they are elusive (quite a few reports from birders visiting College, not having seen Bittern) and effectively two are overwintering there!!

So back down to 102 ...

Frustrating today as in a brief 5 minute spell had two Dark-bellied Brent Geese and a Sandwich Tern on the Penryn River, scoped out of the bedroom window! Unfortunately, 5 Brents and a Sandwich Tern had been reported elsewhere in the Carrick Roads over the weekend. Possibly the Brents are different - the ones reported on Saturday were 5 miles away. Might still add them on ... ;)

Decided that I can have the geese, inasmuch as they were at a new location and could have been different birds etc, but not the Sarnie Tern. Hence ...

14/02/2012

103) Dark-bellied Brent Goose

Since then 3 weeks away in France haven't helped matters. Although birds like Cirl Bunting, Serin, Black Kite and Black Stork in or from the garden being some recompense.

Also had what could have been an adult Bonaparte's Gull at College Res - it was gone before I could get to grips with it. Could be the one that got away.

Am also now in total agreement that the Ring-necked Duck is a different bird to the Par individual ;) . (Suspect it to be same as the Gwithian bird.)

Been back in the UK since the 9th of March. Done some patching but mostly been quiet.

Last edited:
... until today. Spring arriving.

16/03/2012

Carrick Roads, Falmouth

104) Sandwich Tern 3

Swanpool

105) Stonechat 1m

College Reservoir

106) Sand Martin 2

Last edited:
19/03/2012

Pendennis Point, Falmouth

108) Common Scoter 1

A single bird flew out of the Carrick Roads and into Falmouth Bay.

Last edited:
22/03/2012

Pendennis Point

110) Peregrine 1 flew towards Falmouth

Obviously about in the area, took a while to catch up with one though!

Last edited:
27/03/2012

Argal Reservoir

111) Willow Warbler 1

Spring continuing ... mind you no Sand Martins in the area since the initial sightings. Singing Chiffchaffs all over though ... Bittern hanging on at College res.

Last edited:
Haven't updated this for a while. A few bits and pieces scattered throughout the last few weeks ...

28/03/2012

Pendennis

112) Firecrest 1 in evergreens (holm oaks?) near the Swimming pool.

30/03/2012

Lizard Point

113) Wheatear 1 on cliff sides

03/04/2012 Swanpool

114) Marsh Tit 1

(A couple of months since earlier reports.)

04/04/2012 College Reservoir

115) Swallow 12 flew north

Falmouth

116) Hobby 1 flew north. A good record.

05/04/2012 Devoran

117) Ringed Plover 8 roosting at high tide

10/04/2012 Lizard Point

117) Manx Shearwater, strong passage west early morning, along with Gannets, Kittiwakes, Fulmars and auk sps.

19/04/2012 Swanpool

118) House Martin, 2 with c. 30 Swallow and 1 Sand Martin.

Northerly winds for much of the period means that migration has been slow in this part of the world. Barely seeing Swallows on a regular basis.

Last edited:
23/04/2012

Pendennis Point, Falmouth

119) Bonxie 3
120) Golden Plover c.50
121) Pomarine Skua 2 ad pale morph, 1 with full spoons

Also 1000+ Manxies, Whimbrel etc - A brief description of the circumstances on the thread here Falmouth Birding. Got stuff to do, and bed and an early start beckons - the weather forecast for tomorrow looks interesting again ... Suffice it to say rather unexpected and quite good!

Gorrangorras, Penryn River

122) Common Sandpiper 3

Initially 2 scoped from the bedroom window on the evening high tide (1200m range of course) - confirmation of 3 roosting birds on arrival.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back