• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

19/11/2012 New LEICA GEOVID (1 Viewer)

binomania

Dear friends here in Italy is already November 19th. For this reason, I can publish this preview.:)
Today will be presented the new Leica Geovid. Unfortunately, it characteristics will be published in December.
Best Regard from Italy
Piergiovanni

Attachments

• New_leica_for_binomania.jpg
    New_leica_for_binomania.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 700
Leica's New Geovid HD B Rangefinding Binocular looks nice.

Has got a Perger Prism design what ever that is ?

Tim

Waiting to see the press release, but in the meantime came across these pics...

Allendale, NJ: Leica Sports Optics announces the newest in its line of laser rangefinder binoculars, the Geovid HD-B. Truly a game-changer, the Geovid HD-B laser rangefinder binoculars once again affirms Leica’s leadership stature as a category innovator.
Considerably more evolved than its competitors, the Geovid-HD B contains advanced ballistics technology enabling users to add/create their own custom ballistics info for their specific weapon as well as class-leading ranging abilities.

The newly developed ballistic function ABC™ (Advanced Ballistic Compensation) provides the proper aim point for the hunter and shooter. The Geovid HD-B’s integrated, highly precise ballistic processor can instantly gather and analyze the ballistic information with one touch of the button, giving accurate information for the correct hold over, turret adjustment or drop down reticle aiming point. When calculating the trajectory, the distance, angle, temperature and air pressure are all taken into account.

Twelve ballistic curves representing most of the trajectories of modern hunting cartridges are programmed in the system. Plus, an integrated microSD card slot, located inside the battery housing, allows the hunter to program and save personal ballistic data for his or her cartridge/rifle combination. This revolutionary option allows the hunter to input ballistic data based on his or her cartridge & rifle. Different ballistic information data sets can be saved on separate microSD cards for multiple cartridge/rifle use. The result is extremely precise and accurate ballistics information. Within only 0.2 seconds, the Leica GEOVID HD-B 42 displays all of the necessary information for an accurate shot, especially with steep inclinations and at longer distances.

The ballistic system ABC™ allows for relevant data to be accessed for the various types of hunting and shooting:
• For hunters using a classical reticle in their riflescope, the Leica GEOVID HD-B 42 shows, in addition to the measured distance, the holdover in inches or centimeters.
• For hunters using ballistic reticles there is information available to display the equivalent horizontal range – as for all uses it automatically takes into consideration the angle, the temperature and the air pressure.
• Hunters who use the calibrations on the fast reticle-adjustment system for impact point correction can receive holdover in ¼ MOA so you know how many clicks are necessary.

For more than 20 years, Leica has been renowned as the pioneer of laser range finding products. In 1992, Leica captured the hunting community’s attention with the introduction of the first commercially available laser rangefinder, the Leica 7x42 Geovid BD. Now Leica is continuing its success story by introducing the next generation of the popular Geovid laser range finder binoculars. With its fully programmable ballistics capabilities and class-leading ranging distance, the new Geovid HD-B exemplifies Leica’s drive behind the development of this category with the most versatile integrated ballistics system and greatest ranging capability of any laser rangefinding binocular on the market today.

Attachments

• Geovid_8x42_HD_B_3D_600.jpg
    Geovid_8x42_HD_B_3D_600.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 260
  • Geovid_8x42_HD_B_frontal_600.jpg
    Geovid_8x42_HD_B_frontal_600.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Geovid_8x42_HD_B_links_450.jpg
    Geovid_8x42_HD_B_links_450.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 267
  • ps1.jpg
    ps1.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 237
  • ps.jpg
    ps.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
If I get it right, and this here is the description of these "Perger Prism", it's a new variant of Porro Prisms, interesting indeed.

Also the field of view sounds good, especially for the 10x42.

If I get it right, and this here is the description of these "Perger Prism", it's a new variant of Porro Prisms, interesting indeed.

Also the field of view sounds good, especially for the 10x42.

Hi to all.
You can find some information about the Perger Porro, at the end of this page.
Best Regards from Italy

Thanks, Pier! An alpha porro!!! I never thought I'd live to see the day, too bad it's a rangefinder, I would love to see this hybrid design in a birding bin, but NOT for $3,592! Izzat a new world record for the price of a pair of binoculars?

<B>

It ought to be better/cheaper than a roof, even though reflective coatings are required on some of the surfaces. Perger has at least 4 patents employed in Leica rangefinders, back to 2000, that I could find. A busy guy! Wow, a glimpse into the temple...

The new Leica is still kind of bulky, but there is wording in the patent indicating that a straight through configuration is possible. But figure 4 is a mess, with no perspective view.
Ron

I downloaded the pdf, which has the same diagrams but they are larger and easier to compare side by side. Figure 4B in particular shows how much slimmer the Perger prisms are than the Porro 1 design. They remind me more of Abbe-Konig roof prisms they way they are stacked on top of each other but slightly offset.

True, the bin is still more bulky than the svelte SV EL, but the original EL was rather bulky due to the thicker barrels to accommodate thumb indents. The Alt SLCs were also bulky for the same reason.

I like some bulk to wrap my hands around, so the new design is appealing to me ergonomically, but not the hefty price tag.

Now if Perger hasn't exclusively licensed the design to Leica, one of the leading Chinese ED bin companies could license it and manufacturer an open bridge Perger Porro at a much more affordable price,

<B>

Last edited:
It ought to be better/cheaper than a roof, even though reflective coatings are required on some of the surfaces. Perger has at least 4 patents employed in Leica rangefinders, back to 2000, that I could find. A busy guy! Wow, a glimpse into the temple...

The new Leica is still kind of bulky, but there is wording in the patent indicating that a straight through configuration is possible. But figure 4 is a mess, with no perspective view.
Ron

If I understand the patent description correctly, then reflective coatings are not necessarily required for this prism. They just claim that the patent contains both variants, with or without reflective coatings.

Such a prism should be superior even to the Abbe-Koenig. With this invention, Leica has set itself at the front of modern binocular design. This could definitely be the revival of the Porro ...

Cheers,
Holger

Leica claims the new Geovids have more depth of view and a more three-dimensional image. Do porro bins inherently offer a more three-dimensional image, because of the porro prisms, or is the more three-dimensional image a result of the wider objective spacing of most porro bins?

Leica claims the new Geovids have more depth of view and a more three-dimensional image. Do porro bins inherently offer a more three-dimensional image, because of the porro prisms, or is the more three-dimensional image a result of the wider objective spacing of most porro bins?

It is because of the wider spacing of the objectives. So, the stereoscopic depth-resolution of these Geovids is superior to comparable roof-prism designs, but still inferior to a true Porro I with even wider spacing ...

Cheers,
Holger

As far as I can see are the objective lenses from the "old" HD range in the same conversion as used in the new version. Knowing that the fluorite lenses in the old version were placed as focus lens, one would imagine that the new version would have objective fluorite lenses.

Jan

They should have the same depth of field as other binoculars with the same magnification, assuming that is what they mean by depth of view. Perhaps the claim is marketing hyperbole, or just a reference to depth perception.

I can't wait for Dennis to test these ...

Holy cow this set of binoculars is a beast! Shame that it's a range one.
It's bizarre that they start with this new alpha in ranges and not normal binoculars.
Is there an alpha war regarding rangfinders bins?

According to the text there are 6 reflections (more than the 4 in the standard porro), and all are totally reflecting, which I take to mean no coatings are required. An interesting statement is that the additional beam paths have no impact on the observation beam path. So the prisms are suitable for a pure observation binocular.

The reason why porro prisms are relatively cheap to manufacture is that tolerances are not so high, whereas roof prisms are more demanding. Presumably this beast is also more demanding, and there are more reflective surfaces too. Given that the porro prism is large, the roof probably means this prism is a lot more compact, but possibly no more so than Schmidt Pechan prisms. I guess the question is how much more complex is this prism to make than the SP, and does that outweigh the cost of mirror coatings on SP?

Clearly the reason for this is to allow a second light path to be combined at the eyepiece, and to allow a laser beam to be projected via the objective. Presumably the user focusses on the beam spot hitting a distant target, and the focus wheel is connected to a display device which is projected into the eyepiece from above the prism. Thus the user sees the beam spot on the target, and a readout of the distance.

This is clever stuff, very clever, and it is nice to see Leica innovating, but I suspect only rangefinder users will be clutching a pair of optical bananas. Would the panorama as seen through these be a 'bananarama' ?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back