• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How waterproof is your anorak? (1 Viewer)

I need a new fleece, so I'm going to take a look at the Paramo one. I'm rather tempted now to get a waterproof jacket as well, but that will have to wait.

Keith's is the Cascada, I think, looking at the photo on their website.

Good grief!
You lot are almost as bad as the "optics mob". Never has the word anorak been more appropriate.
I'm just waiting for you all to start discussing weave densities.....

scampo said:
Also, it is a good idea to keep to Paramo kit as it acts as a unit, wicking mopisture away from the body amazingly effectively (really). If you combine other clothing, you will lose this effect.

Check out the Paramo website or ask the shop where you bought it. It sounds like a marketing ploy, but it isn't - it works.

Sorry Scampo, but this is a bit of a marketing scam imo. There is no good reason to stick to one brand of kit. The manufacturers would like you to, of course. The key is to have a tight (ish) base layer that doesn't retain moisture, so your skin doesn't get clammy, I've personally found cheap coolmax kit to be just as effective as expensive brands for this purpose.

POP said:
As said earlier dont arse about get a Barbour along with their trousers you could sit in a monsoon for ages then go in doors,take off your gear don your dinner jacket,and straight into dinner,dry as a bone.Failing that get a good army greatcoat couple of sacks over your shoulder,not only keep you dry but also a picture of sartorial elegance.

POP

A man after my own heart! Us fashion icons must stick together.

Andrew said:
I can not quite justify spending so much more again after the jacket for a fleece when I have perfectly goo fleeces already. I agree that the Alta II itself is very warm on it's own but I am thinking ahead to the really cold winter days when you appreciate another layer.

As for losing effectiveness, I am not quite so sure as that would mean having to buy a Paramo shirt, Paramo jumper and a fleece. One of my birding friends uses a simple camo fleece under his Paramo in winter and says it is just fine.
I think you're right - it just needs to be a "wicking" material, I suppose.

DJ Sideboard said:
Sorry Scampo, but this is a bit of a marketing scam imo. There is no good reason to stick to one brand of kit. The manufacturers would like you to, of course. The key is to have a tight (ish) base layer that doesn't retain moisture, so your skin doesn't get clammy, I've personally found cheap coolmax kit to be just as effective as expensive brands for this purpose.
I'm sure you're right and thanks for the tip. On the other hand, Paramo's base layers (I don't have them, btw!) are about the same price as other top makes, so it makes some sense, in terms of loyalty even, to stick with one manufacturer if you find their kit works for you. I shall look into a Coolmax T-shirt, I think.

CJW said:
Good grief!
You lot are almost as bad as the "optics mob". Never has the word anorak been more appropriate.
I'm just waiting for you all to start discussing weave densities.....
We're the same mob, aren't we? But... discrimination in all things where money changes hands isn't a bad motto, eh?

(-;

Last edited:
See HERE for info on layering, and HERE for Paramo care instructions.

This is an excellent shop and they are very helpful. RSPB members also get a discount on production of membership card.

for what its worth I use a Peter Storm fold up thingy from Millets. The thing coped with the lashing it got on the Norfolk coast Saturday very well. Wear a fleece under that to keep warm.

Very cost effective

CJW said:
...................Never has the word anorak been more appropriate......

Nice one Chris! :D

For the record, I normally wear a RM issue arctic windproof smock (sometimes - erroneously - refered to as an SAS smock - it's not 'cos it's got the wired peak on the hood and the SAS version doesn't - as if you cared! ;) ). No longer waterproof but it dries really quick and is still windproof even when it's wet, so I don't normally notice (layering you see!)

Last edited:
Still cannot believe I read this thread all the way through...
......it's Friday night for doodahs sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll get me 'waterproof' coat..

Dave.

Sorry for killing the thread!...or had you all gone out? ;)

I've got a Nato smock too..95 issue, not totally waterproof,
but it makes me look 'ard...and has got 6 big pockets.
You know what they say:
"Big Hands...big pockets"

TKDave.

deboo said:
...or had you all gone out? ;)

TKDave.
Gone out? In this weather...! Are you kidding?

(Btw, Dave - I've seen your photo at Titchwell and oooh, you didh' 'alf look 'ard, I have to admit!!).

((-;

Tim Allwood said:
What's the weave density of these Paramo things?

I believe the correct units of measure for this type of discussion are
developed under the ISO 11092 test which measures a fabrics resistance to water vapour or RET values for short so the appropriate values to discuss would be RET values. The other one would be the British standard Suter test (ISO 811) which measures how waterproof a material is by subjecting it to increasing pressue until water penetrates.

I believe Goretex has a RET of 87 wheras other breathable membranes are usually higher Patagonia has a RET of 165. Apparently the lower the better.

This all comes from tests on waders but I'd be surprised if they don't do similar tests on these sorts of coats but you'd probably never get the info and would it really mean much anyway.

Here's the link I got it from
http://www.flyfishamerica.com/ArticlesReports/GeneralArticles/FFAStaff/Waders.html

And yes as you've guessed I didn't go out on Friday night either.

I have just started reading this thread and yes I have sat and read it all through this morning. Must be something about having an extra hour:)
Surprised no-one has mentioned Rohan clothing. I have used their waterproof coats for years and have never had any water come thro' or had a need too waterproof one. My Atlas jacket wore out from the constant rubbing of tripod on my side but was still waterproof. I bought an Axim in March and when it gets wet the water rolls off of it. It also folds up into it's own inside pocket for storage. At the Minsmere Bird Fair this year I won a Country Innovation's Falcon jacket. Last weekend at Titchwell it got well and truly soaked. I stayed dry inside but the same cannot be said for the contents of my pockets. I knew the flap pockets on the side were not waterproof, why else would they have drainage holes in the bottom? But I did expect the inside pockets to stay dry. My 'phone and glasses were saturated as was the notebook in the other inside pocket. It took some time to dry out as well(the jacket that is). The Facon jacket will also fold into it's inside pocket, a fact that even Country Innovations were not aware of until I pointed it out to them at the Birdfair at Rutland. All they want to do now is put a vecro strip on the inside of the pocket that when packed away becomes the outside and able to be attached to a belt so no need to carry a rucksack.
The Falcon jacket is a little more comfortable to wear than the Rohan being a looser fit. I can keep my camera case within the jacket and not feel 'trussed up'. The soft feel of the Falcon is also better for noise, or lack of. Both of these jacket have the ability to take fleeces zipped in but I prefer the seperate system. Neither have any padding or lining just a mesh drop liner. This too my mind gives greater flexibility in all climatic conditions

Ivan

This thread is in my backyard , i may say. I make hunting outfits since 1997 and met various demands from my clients, one of them looking the waterproof jacket. The best way to deal with water is to have always a thin rubber anorack and pants with you! And looking the materials for hard use, i prefer Ripstop, which has many qualities. One of them is quick drying.Ripstop is a very dense texture of policotton.

Update, I am getting on superbly with my new Paramo. One flaw I found right away was the zip was reversed. I mean inside out and that meant the zip zipped up in the ladies style. I soon got used to it and do it without thinking now. I also noticed the zips are reversed on the pockets too and realised this is a clever ploy. That means the cloth backing of the zip is on the outside and being treated with nikwax means it beads water away just like the main coat material. Genius!

Anyone seen the Paramo advert in Birdwatching on page 23, apparently a Savi's Warbler does a crap at least ten times as big as a Marsh harrier!!! :eek!:

Andrew said:
Anyone seen the Paramo advert in Birdwatching on page 23, apparently a Savi's Warbler does a crap at least ten times as big as a Marsh harrier!!! :eek!:

Perhaps it was a Savi's Warbler that had been digested by a Marsh Harrier?

ps. Thanks for an interesting thread Andrew. I'm in the market for a new jacket since some chav scum nicked mine from the pub recently (it leaked like a seive anyway so hopefully he caught pneumonia!).

Des.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back