• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lots of awful pics to ID! (1 Viewer)

Fuchsia

Bug Babe
Hello,
Good night last night but a lot of question marks on my ID's.
Any help greatly appreciated :flowers:

1, 2.5cm
2, 2.5cm ish
3, large one 2.5cm (poss same as 2) - little one 2cm
4, quite small
5, wave

Attachments

• DSCN9267.jpg
    DSCN9267.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN9270.jpg
    DSCN9270.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN9362.jpg
    DSCN9362.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCN9322.jpg
    DSCN9322.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 92
  • wave.jpg
    wave.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 106
Carpets!!!

Carpets - 5 of 'em!

Ta everyone,
Jen :h?: :hi:

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 83
  • C2.jpg
    C2.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 86
  • C3.jpg
    C3.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 85
  • C4.jpg
    C4.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 86
  • C5.jpg
    C5.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 90
Fuchsia said:
Hello,

1, 2.5cm
2, 2.5cm ish
4, quite small
5, wave

Number 4 is Evergestis forficalis, Crambidae, Evergestinae.

Harri

Fuchsia said:
Hello,

1, 2.5cm
2, 2.5cm ish
4, quite small
5, wave

Number 1 is Knot Grass (Acronicta rumicis).

Harri

Fuchsia said:
Hello,

1, 2.5cm
2, 2.5cm ish
4, quite small
5, wave

Number 2 is Marbled Brown (Drymonia dodonaea); number 3 are Marbled Brown with Marbled Minor (Oligia strigilis).

Harri

Fuchsia said:
Hello,

1, 2.5cm
2, 2.5cm ish
4, quite small
5, wave

5 is Cream Wave (Scopula floslactata).

11 for 11! Thanks Stuart and Harri. I wasn't sure about the Portland Ribbon Wave once I'd Googled around and they looked very different to the one on Leps.
Maybe someone can tell me how to get Geos from trap to fridge without vanishing off into the sky! Time for a re-design I think.

Good catching tonight
Jen :)

Fuchsia said:
11 for 11! Thanks Stuart and Harri. I wasn't sure about the Portland Ribbon Wave once I'd Googled around and they looked very different to the one on Leps.
Maybe someone can tell me how to get Geos from trap to fridge without vanishing off into the sky! Time for a re-design I think.

Good catching tonight

Of course you can try this one: http://www.bioshare.net/Stories/pakas.... ;) ;)

Harri

Fuchsia said:

Good catching tonight

Hello Jen :hi:

You can buy nests of collectors cardboard boxes from Watkins and Doncaster, they come in nests of 3 or four or singly in various sizes and they will hold almost anything except a very large Hawkmoth. You can view their equipment on the following URL.

http://www.watdon.com/watdon_home.html

Click on Field Equipment then boxes they have various transparent and circular card boxes. The plastic ones are too smooth for the insect to get a grip on, and I would never use them myself for holding insects.

You may find you have to slide across the page to see the individual prices. You can order by phone and credit card if you wish.

Harry

Edit. They're cheaper by the dozen. On a good night you may need more than a few.

Fuchsia said:

Good catching tonight
that's easy -- open the trap in your bathroom (or shed).
The only problem is that you tend to get a house full of insects which may not go down with other family members ;)
When I open mine outdoors I keep some plastic pots and lids (from Tesco's chocolate puddings and Onken yoghurt respectively :eek!: ) and try and catch anything that looks interesting and frisky. Not that it alwasy works, though .
Ken

hjalava said:
Number 4 is Evergestis forficalis, Crambidae, Evergestinae.

Harri

Harri,

Are the Pyralidae known as Crambidae in Finland? Here, the Crambinae are the grass-veneers, such as Crambus pratella etc. So Evergestis forficalis is Pyralidae, Evergestinae.

Mike

hjalava said:
Of course you can try this one: http://www.bioshare.net/Stories/pakas.... ;) ;)

Harri

Fantastic - just the job! Not terribly portable tho! Now where's the free ads paper for that chest freezer........

Harry, I will be investing in some new containers but have meantime found a great use for all the empty candle pots I've been keeping 'just in case' (and those tights of course!).

Ken, thankfully they are very used to insects in the house. Jake comes and reports anything with 6 legs or more and is keeping an eye on the new Emperor 'babies' that live in the bedroom. The trouble with my trap is it is quite small. It catches around 30 moths a night but it's very hard to get to them and those that land outside are off the minute you look at them. Also has far too many nooks and crannies for them to hide in and emerge around tea time for the cats to eat. Not good!

I've attached pics of our 'effort' with emergency rain cover (Jake's tent) and my 6.30 nightmare every morning. Might be time to splash out on the real thing :eek!:

Jen :hi:

Attachments

• DSCN9229.jpg
    DSCN9229.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 270505.jpg
    270505.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 80
Jen,

Do you have anything in the trap like eggboxes for the moths to hide in?

And speaking of tents, I sort through my trap in a tent and so any escapees are caught.

And another thought, more moths might actually enter the trap if it wasn't translucent. I found this was the case when I had a white plastic trap. Once I covered the outside I got more in the trap.

Last edited:
Hello Angus,
Yes, there are 2 x 6 egg boxes that are used a bit but they mostly like to crawl into the wooden bits or stay outside. Maybe the problem is that the container is see-through?
It may be a bit early to give up on it but I'll be looking at other designs now with a view to sending Tony back to the DIY shop!

Angus T said:
Jen,

And another thought, more moths might actually enter the trap if it wasn't translucent. I found this was the case when I had a white plastic trap. Once I covered the outside I got more in the trap.

|:D|
Great minds and all that!
I think a deeper one would be better too. Off to Mr Bricolage.....

p.s. I clicked on the smiling smiley and got the bonkers one - it'll do anyway!!

Last edited:
My actinic (bought from Paul Batty) is see-through. I was thinking of lining it with corrugated cardboard. I think the moths that are inside might settle more if it was darker.
That Finnish trap is amazing. Does it suck the moths in??
Ken

Surreybirder said:
My actinic (bought from Paul Batty) is see-through. I was thinking of lining it with corrugated cardboard. I think the moths that are inside might settle more if it was darker.
That Finnish trap is amazing. Does it suck the moths in??
Ken

There is a story about the trap here (in Finnish) http://www.bioshare.net/Stories/STORY1087230233, in the end are species lists in 2003 when a container with cloroform was used instead of the fridge and 2004 when the fridge was used. Both lists are from southern Sweden and between 9. May and 11. June. There is knowledge of the lamps and other things too in the story.

Harri

Fuchsia said:
Fantastic - just the job! Not terribly portable tho! Now where's the free ads paper for that chest freezer........

Harry, I will be investing in some new containers but have meantime found a great use for all the empty candle pots I've been keeping 'just in case' (and those tights of course!).

Ken, thankfully they are very used to insects in the house. Jake comes and reports anything with 6 legs or more and is keeping an eye on the new Emperor 'babies' that live in the bedroom. The trouble with my trap is it is quite small. It catches around 30 moths a night but it's very hard to get to them and those that land outside are off the minute you look at them. Also has far too many nooks and crannies for them to hide in and emerge around tea time for the cats to eat. Not good!

I've attached pics of our 'effort' with emergency rain cover (Jake's tent) and my 6.30 nightmare every morning. Might be time to splash out on the real thing :eek!:

Jen :hi:

Hello Jen :hi:

Tut, tut, Moth Trapping with intent. Heh, heh,

Seriously though, a lot of moths will come in low and settle on the ground, some will eventually fly into the trap. It would appear that the translucent sides are letting enough light through to keep the moths where they settle.

I would suggest either painting the outside of the trap black, or if you have a roll of black Duct Tape use that. This should prevent most moths from staying outside your trap, than are going into it.

Your trap does seem a little small, if you really get bitten by the moth trapping bug I would suggest you make a larger one later in the year.

There was a chap (I think it was Derwick) on the south coast of England who built the ultimate trap. It was more like a flat roofed shed with the light and entry cone on the roof.
When operating it, he used to sit inside the trap examining the moths as they entered it. He caught many thousands of moths that way. I'm not suggesting you go that far as yet.

Regards,

Harry

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back