• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro EL 8.5x42.. Any other recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Cambsbirder

Evening guys,

I'm really keen on the Swarovski EL 8.5x42, a few reviewers describe them as the best birding bins out there. Are there any others out there that you think I should also try?

Thanks.

I got a great deal on some used 8.5x42 FPro and they are fantastic. I also have some used Zeiss 10x42 Victory HT that I am very happy with too, so you could check out that line in 8x42 (HT or the lastest SF). I have not been too happy with Leica, but it is an ergonomic thing for me, they do not fit me as well as the Zeiss or Swaro. As you can tell, I've bought my alphas used and gotten them at a good discount from new pricing. I've sent in two used Zeiss (HT 10x42 and Dailyt 7x42) for mechanical repairs and it was free with the bins coming back looking (and smelling) new.

A step down in price is the Kowa Genesis 8.5x44. I use them in the 8x33 and really love them.

What I have found is that the optics, within a price range, are all pretty close and it is the ergonomics that really set them apart for each user. It is something you need to try for yourself.

Without doubt a fantastic birdwatching optic but you have to try at least two others for comparison, even if you're mind is almost made up. Choose from the Zeiss SF, Leica Noctivid or Kowa, as many others have said.
Good luck

What about a Swarovski EL 8x32, little bit lighter & wider FOV.
Agreed. I find the weight of the 8.5x42 EL a bit much for lugging around while out walking and take my 8x30 MHG, which is certainly inferior optically, but is so convenient and has a larger fov. Buying now I'd probably get the 8x32 EL which kind of has the best of both - convenient size, wide fov and great Swarovski optics. I can see it replacing both. Certainly try it anyway.

At that price level you owe it to yourself to try Leica Noctivid and Zeiss SF as well as the Swaro.

Lee

If I could afford whatever, the 8.5x42 Swarovision EL, 8x42 Victory SF or HT, 8x42 Swarovski SLC-HD, or 7x42 Ultravid HD+ would be my models of choice. All are great options with different pros and cons. I didn't personally like the ergonomics of the Noctivid as much as the Ultravid series. I owned the 8x32 Swarovision EL for a bit, but noticed very problematic glare, to the point of wanting to sell the item.

Justin

At that price level you owe it to yourself to try Leica Noctivid and Zeiss SF as well as the Swaro.

Lee

Got to agree with Lee.

The Kowa has great optics, but its heavy and lacks fov compared to the EL.

The 32mm SV is`nt the all rounder the 42mm is for my money.

You can`t really go wrong with any of the trio so personal preference should be your guide.

For me the EL still just edges it as the all rounder.

If it were me and knowing what I know now, I'd try to look at five binocular models then pick which you like. Try not to get too involved in the online readings that may confuse the issue.

Start with Swarovski and pick between the EL 8X32 and EL 8.5X42. Most prefer one or the other. Pick the one you like best. If you can look at a Leica Noctivid 8X42 and Ultravid HD Plus 7X42 it would be great. Pick the one you like best from those two. Now pick between the Swarovski and the Leica you liked best. Now try to look at the Zeiss SF 8X42 and compare it to the remaining binocular. Pick the one you like best.

If you can't look at all those just look at the ones you can. Kinda like buying a car. Just pick the one you like best and don't worry about what the guy next to you is driving or says. It would be great if you had some birding friends that would look you at their binoculars beforehand.

If you have any questions or concerns AFTER looking at those get back with us.

If it were me and knowing what I know now, I'd try to look at five binocular models then pick which you like. Try not to get too involved in the online readings that may confuse the issue.

Start with Swarovski and pick between the EL 8X32 and EL 8.5X42. Most prefer one or the other. Pick the one you like best. If you can look at a Leica Noctivid 8X42 and Ultravid HD Plus 7X42 it would be great. Pick the one you like best from those two. Now pick between the Swarovski and the Leica you liked best. Now try to look at the Zeiss SF 8X42 and compare it to the remaining binocular. Pick the one you like best.

If you can't look at all those just look at the ones you can. Kinda like buying a car. Just pick the one you like best and don't worry about what the guy next to you is driving or says. It would be great if you had some birding friends that would look you at their binoculars beforehand.

I like that approach Chuck. I think you have or have had all five of those haven't you? So you've probably done all of those caparisons at some point. So out of curiosity, following that process which binocular would YOU end up with? From remembering some of your other posts and if it could only be one binocular I'm guessing you'd go for the 8x32 EL, but not sure. It's ok I'm not expecting an answer and it wouldn't help Cambsbirder anyway as it's a personal thing.

Cambsbirder I think if possible it's important to try binoculars in the environment you're going to use them most as that can make a big difference.

Evening guys,

I'm really keen on the Swarovski EL 8.5x42, a few reviewers describe them as the best birding bins out there. Are there any others out there that you think I should also try?

Thanks.

Hi Cambsbirder,
If convenient, you might want to take a look at the Canon 10x42L IS, the best of Canons stabilized binoculars. The optically excellent stabilized image it delivers is unmatched by any of the conventional designs. There are lots of details on the BF Canon thread: https://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=449

Note that the Canon glass is a brick, the opposite of the svelte Swarovski and that Canon support is far from free, whereas Swaro stands out for superb service.
Anecdotally, my first unit lasted almost 10 hard service years before the IS gave up the ghost and I bought another one as a replacement because there still is nothing better available anywhere.

Out of curiosity, as I don't have budget for any of these, is there a reason no post has mentioned Nikon EDG 8x42 or 10x42? I had thought, only based on reading, that they were the peer of each of the three mentioned in prior posts.

Good point, I have both the 8 and 10X42, great glass, but never popular with the birding crowd, (although when I show them others out and about at my local nature preserve, they are very impressed) and they have been discontinued by Nikon. Additionally on this forum, I think Chuck and a only a few others have the EDG.

Andy W.

As DunninLA (post #12) indicates, indeed the EDG is the largely under appreciated premium x42

For some critical appreciation see:
Roger Vine’s review of the 8x42 - which includes direct comparison to the 8.5x42 Swarovski: http://www.scopeviews.co.uk/NikonEDG8x42.htm

Tobias Mennle's stand-alone review of the 8x42: http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/nikon/nikonedg8x42/nikonedg8x42review.html

And Tobias’ mega-sized comparative review with the Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski counterparts: http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/shootouts/shootoutpremier8x42s/8x42shootout.html
- which in effect ultimately comes down to stressing 'swings and roundabouts', so if possible try before you buy!

John

Last edited:
Sure an EDG is a great binocular. Unfortunately is has been discontinued. Quite honestly even BEFORE it was discontinued I never saw them on a store's shelf. So that's why it wasn't mentioned. Again trying not to complicate the issue. There's really no need to. There are PLENTY of current models available that are up to keeping up with the EDG I can assure you.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_10bc.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_10bc.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_0670_1.jpg
    IMG_0670_1.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 171
Sure an EDG is a great binocular. Unfortunately is has been discontinued.
right, I forgot that because they are so readily available directly from Japan for about $1750, or used for about $1,200. Those are far out of my budget, but I still notice them and if I had that budget, I'd look at them along with the three mentioned in the first few posts.

Last edited:

If you can't look at all those just look at the ones you can. Kinda like buying a car. Just pick the one you like best and don't worry about what the guy next to you is driving or says. It would be great if you had some birdin
g friends that would look you at their binoculars
Best advice I've heard here in a long while!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back