• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on jacket and boots (1 Viewer)

As far as jackets go, it depends whether it'll get much use for non-birding activities (e.g. fell walking)

As a birding jacket, top of the range Goretex is OK, but not ideal - they tend to be brightly coloured, rustle a lot, and don't stand up to brambles (or persistent tripod abrasion) very well.

On the other hand, I wouldn't wear my Ventile jacket for hillwalking - it is comparatively heavy and bulky. For birding, though, it's fantastic.

Paramo kit is supposed to be very good - a lot of birders swear by it.

For boots, there's only one option in my opinion - a pair of Goretex lined fabric boots. I've had a pair of Karrimor KSB3's (the original and best, some would say!) for years, and they're fantastic. Really easy to clean, and once worn in, you can pop them on like trainers - really comfy!

I use an ex british army "soldier 95" gore-tex jacket, in fact I have 2, one for work (agricultural fencing) and one for birding. They are stunning, lightweight, very breathable and extremly hard wearing. Not bad for about £60 each.

Django, you make my point for me very nicely - if Goretex was really breathable, you wouldn't need pit zips...

;)

My Berghaus cost almost £200, but it still doesn't breathe any better than my jackets by Regatta, Outdoor Scene and Peter Storm that cost a quarter of the price of the Berghaus.

It's true that choice of base layer is important: I favour Lowe Alpine Dryflo tees - an excellent wicking base layer, and just as good in cold and in warm weather.

Unlike some base layers, they look and work fine as an "ordinary" tee shirt.

Another approach to temperature control in the Winter months is the Buffalo Special 6 Shirt.

http://www.militarykit.com/products/jackets/buffalo_special_6_shirt.htm

I've used one of these for years (Winter mountain biking, pike angling on Scottish lochs and so on, as well as birding).

They're more breathable than any Goretex jacket (that's because although Pertex is superbly windproof, it isn't actually waterproof - though it deals with showers), wonderfully warm (again, pit zips are used to regulate temperature) and because of how they work they still feel warm even if wet through.

Last edited:
As the years are now catching up on me i now use Paramo gear,it is superb.But after spending a few years in ditches and bushes on hill tops etc etc go for basics.Good thermal underclothes, top layer windproof,depending on climate, good windproof fleece and windproof jacket.In emergency even a bin bag will give protection with windproof coat on top. and if you cannot afford all bits of gear a pair of pyjamas under your trousers will keep your legs warm.Remember you must always keep your trunk warm from neck to base of spine,that is the engine of your body.And in the cold if you get wet through,get dry as soon as you can.

POP

hornet said:
3) Don't even think about going out without a hat, and make sure it's a good 'un. If its lined (ie thinsulate or similar) then so much the better. And make sure it covers your ears!

I have been a fisherman for about 37 years (in all weathers) and birder for about 10 years and never wear a hat!
I must say though, the main reason is that I look a t..t in a hat!!

I just don't suit them or, they don't suit me!

paj

A wise old farmer called Rustle taught me this :-

An old plastic fertilizer sack (with holes for arms & head) with a length of multi-purpose agricultural fastening tied around your mid-riff...

Clever thing is it makes exactly the same sounds as some of these Bergtex type jackets & you get to save £200 quid ;-)

A barbour type waxed jacket or cotton combat-type jacket...... anything else is old pants imho.

Plus a black wool hat (can be red if you prefer scaring rarities)

SE

Last edited:
Sealskinz socks,about 20 quid a pair bought for me and never looked back,superb.If mobility isnt an issue take a look at boom 80 boots,made for fishermen and superbly warm even for those like me whose feet are a long way from the rest of them |=)| ,hopeless for walking any distance though,unless a crippled penguins waddle is your thing.

Aldi currently have Thinsulate gear on sale - trousers@£8.99, gloves at £1.49, and hats also at 1.49.

As I type, Mrs DNB is wearing the complete set out in the garden - I spoil her !

gore tex boots when really cold; been everywhere with em over last 6 years
otherwise converse (lovely in summer, light n airy) or docs

coatwise
if it's very cold or tipping down an old Gore-tex shell coat from about 17 years ago! Very light, properly breathable and durable
otherwise lightweight footy 'warm up' coat

Tim

Is there such a thing as footware that is not slippery? It seems that the soles used on many of the hiking boots today are so hard inorder to wear well that they get very slick. Goretex is great but most streams are deeper than ankle high. In Costa Rica who cares if your feet get wet. In the Northern US or Canada it is a real pain.

I am kind of klutzy, but a few good falls takes some of the fun out of the day. To be honest, there are more than a few trails I have not tried for fear of falling rather than the physical exertion. At 55 my balance is not getting any better.

Mike

For boots I would recommend these by Tayberry, they are refered to as Gardening Boots by them (but are similar to Duck Boots) but they are great for wandering about in, and with them being similar like a wellie up to ankle height ( the sole is very like a wellies as well so good footholding) you can go in puddles or slightly boggy area without problems. The bit above you ankle is not stiff and you can adjust them by the velcro straps and they have sheepskin type padding inside. And the cost £19.99 including postage in the UK.

We ordered a new pair a few weeks ago and we go them 2 days later.. I would recommend them.

http://www.tayberryonline.co.uk/acatalog/Garden_Boot.html

I sympathise, Michael - grippy-soled footwear is a bit of a Holy Grail...

A while back I bought a pair of Nike Air Terra Sebec "all terrain" training/running shoes - purely because I needed something lightweight for the Summer - and was delighted to find that the soles provided an extraordinary amount of grip, even on seaweed-covered rock: I stuck to things like Spiderman!

;)

Needless to say, buying another pair when these started to wear out was the smart thing to do, and I did so.

The newer ones are apparently identical apart from the colour scheme: but they're really slippery on surfaces I'd have no problems with in my previous pair.

I can only assume that they're using a different rubber compound for the soles (the tread patterns are the same), but for whatever reason, these newer shoes are a liability...

Paul, with your budget I would buy a coat made of ventile, I have several heavy and lightweight Gortex jackets and none are as comfortable against the skin as Ventile. My jacket has turned white with salt after several hours of sea spray and a quick rinse in luke warm water in the shower seems to work and it dries pretty quickly. See the link below

http://www.ventile.co.uk/stories.html

The only advice about boots would be Gortex lined, comfortable, with a heavy enough sole that you don't feel the stones when walking.

Jim

Jacket - I have a Rohan (£185 from a "designer type outlet village") Kept me dry for the seven hours I stood waiting round for the Ivory gull in Swansea! It has no thick lining so I use a cheap (£10) fleece, with the arms cut short, so I can hold my bins easily.

For grippy soles, part worn wellies are the only way to go. I wear them all winter, at work and for birding. Great grip and warm too. Don't buy the expensive ones, a waste of money and don't buy the cheapest, no good, but some where around £10-£15 should give you a great set of footwear after about 100 miles

layers

An interesting thread. Odd that layering and avoiding cotton like the plague are not mentioned.

Here on the north coast of California, winters are cold and rainy. I have found that a GoreTex snowboarder's parka works very well. Roomy and lots of pockets. I use varying combinations of polyester fleece layers depending on the temperature and activity level.

I use a gortex "Seattle Sombrero" by outdoor research that lets my ears and eyes work and keeps the rain off the eyeglasses and occulars.

I also wear waterproof, breathable rain pants.

Yes GoreTex IS breathable, but "pit zips" and convection ventilatin can be reqired if you are excercising.

In Malaysia this summer, a poncho was best.

Nothing (well, almost) is quite as enjoyable to me as being out in heavy weather and being comfortable. It is interesting to see how some birds seem to revel in it too.

bob hastie said:
For grippy soles, part worn wellies are the only way to go. I wear them all winter, at work and for birding. Great grip and warm too. Don't buy the expensive ones, a waste of money and don't buy the cheapest, no good, but some where around £10-£15 should give you a great set of footwear after about 100 miles

Mm,i've been near to tears in wellies in winter,ive never worn anything worse for keeping my feet warm.Stable boots,half welly half boot and well lined might be a better compromise if on a tight budget.
Still have an old pair of 'bogtrotters',3/4 length wellies that are good for mild and wet and they dont slap the calf like full wellies.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back