• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Bins from the taxman?? (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
ok boys and girls I've just filled in my tax return and I think that the inland revenue owe me money. So I'm thinking that I might buy a new pair of bins.

I'd really like some advice as to what to look out for when comparing the latest Zeiss, Leica, Swaro and Nikon stuff. Please keep it non techy if you can!!

I doubt they owe me enough for a scope as well but I live in hope.....

Comfort in your hands is the biggest factor at these heady heights.... You're unlikely to curse that the optics are a tiny fraction better on another set of binos, but you could well curse if they feel like a brick in your hands after a long session in the field or that your fingers ache due to the focus wheel not quite being in the right place for your fingers.
Some people always seem to be getting tax rebates.... I've never had one in my life :-(

If only :-C :-C

Swarovski are the most desirable at the momment:t:

Leica have something in the pipeline so im told:news:

But what ever you do make sure you have some left over B :)

Andy Bright said:
Some people always seem to be getting tax rebates.... I've never had one in my life :-(

Nor me!! Last year I got home on Christmas eve to open a tax bill!!

I've looked at the figures and they MUST owe me money. Then again knowing my luck it'll only be £10.

Yes Pd im gonna fill in my p87 and i can go back six years so im hoping the taxman is gonna get me a new scope, its time they coughed up something.

As Andy says I don't think there's that much difference between the optics of competing products. (I am assuming that you are talking about full sized bins.) The main difference is in the shape and weight. Try them out to see which one suits your hands. (In my view one is shaped like a brick, one reminds me of a car tyre, one is too heavy and another is just right, but I'm not saying which is which, as I think that you should form your own opinion.)

Pete

a tax rebate ? Well its a real rarity. Imagine you're walking along a golf course and you saw a Fox Sparrow and a Song Sparrow.

Pete

Pd,
You really know how to get peoples heckles up! ;-( :))
I am on incapacity benefit and a p**** poor (enforced) early retirement pension, and the B******s still take some tax off me. I am still trying to work out how to get a tax rebate.
Oh, and now I am back off the ceiling, you should really try as many bins. as you can within your designated price range, in addition to friendly opinions. I wish you luck, and hope you get enough for a 'scope as well.

Hi Rog

Uh heckles? Don't you mean hackles?!

my sympathies. The reason they owe me money (I think, I hope, they'd better!!) is a period of unemployment.

That said I can see the letter.

Date 24/12/2003

Dear Mr Duxon,

we know we really should owe you money but due to the latest jolly whizz wheeze you owe us £750. Have a happy Christmas.

your faithfully

the Inland Revenue

ps
did you go for the one shaped like a brick, the one like a car tyre, the heavy one or the one Leif says is just right?

Pete

It's got to be Leica's. 8x42 bn are very good.
Dear but well worth it in image quality & I do like the minimum focusing distance of five foot

CJ

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back