• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moltoni's Warbler at Duncansby Head (1 Viewer)

Farnboro John

After a couple of days fruitlessly searching Northern Scottish beaches for the Walrus, Maz and I left John o' Groats to watch wildlife elsewhere in Scotland: travelling once more along the North Coast as far as Tongue before dropping down and overnighting at Tain.

There (gaining phone signal) we heard of a possible Moltoni's Warbler (or is it Moltoni's Subalpine Warbler - are the English names stable and adopted by authorities yet?) at Duncansby Head, where we had been that morning....

So next day, after some dolphin watching at Chanonry Point and knowing that the bird was still present, we trekked back North: with the attached results. Apart from a hint of sharpening and some cropping, no changes have been made to the images.

John

Attachments

• Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (1).JPG
    Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (1).JPG
    184.9 KB · Views: 187
  • Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (2).JPG
    Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (2).JPG
    229.3 KB · Views: 219
  • Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (3).JPG
    Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (3).JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 192
  • Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (4).JPG
    Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (4).JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 269
  • Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (5).JPG
    Moltonis_Subalpine_Warbler (5).JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 204
Moltoni's Warbler in IOC; note Eastern and Western Subalpines haven't been split by IOC (yet).

Thanks Nutty:

Persistent reference to "Moltoni's Subalpine Warbler" had me doubting the acknowledged name. I know the other two aren't yet split, but I have the bases covered! :t:

John

John

Very nice. Glad you got it as some compensation as I know how seriously you treat your mammals. The ability of a Walrus to disappear in that way has been very perplexing.

All the best

Sounds like a LGRE contrivance . . . a bit like his 'Hume's Yellow-browed Warbler' for Hume's Leaf Warbler :scribe:

Umm, not sure about that: "Hume's Yellow-brow" has been around for more years than I care to remember - precedes the split by a mile, and Yellow-browed Warbler has not to my recollection been "Leaf Warbler". On this occasion I think perhaps not guilty.

And thanks Paul: what surprises me is not just the ability to disappear but the inclination to keep moving rather than pick a spot and settle.

John

After a couple of days fruitlessly searching Northern Scottish beaches for the Walrus, Maz and I left John o' Groats to watch wildlife elsewhere in Scotland: travelling once more along the North Coast as far as Tongue before dropping down and overnighting at Tain.

There (gaining phone signal) we heard of a possible Moltoni's Warbler (or is it Moltoni's Subalpine Warbler - are the English names stable and adopted by authorities yet?) at Duncansby Head, where we had been that morning....

So next day, after some dolphin watching at Chanonry Point and knowing that the bird was still present, we trekked back North: with the attached results. Apart from a hint of sharpening and some cropping, no changes have been made to the images.

John

Nice images John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back