• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers in China (1 Viewer)

rockfowl

Mark Andrews
Hi Folks, Xiaoming, Mcaribou et.al

I'm posting this in the hope that we can help the species recovery team with as much genuine data/records of Spoon-billed Sandpipers coming from China as possible - age/date/location etc
I passed on Mcaribou's fine observation of six adults in August as well as asking various observers I know in China to do the same.

There is a new hypothesis that Spoon-billed Sandpipers could be crossing mainland China from their wintering grounds in Bangladesh in Spring/possibly Autumn. Could you pass on the word to other observers and let me know of any possible sightings around Dongting Hu and any other potential inland sites?

Regards

Mark

Visited the wintering ground at Minjiang Estuary near Fuzhou city with Paul Holt from 31 Oct to 2 Nov.
5 spooner on 31 Oct,and 10 on 2 Nov by Paul(I just counted 7).

They're coming back to Rudong.
Yesterday I saw at least two(one winter,one breeding plumage),with about 10,000 shorebirds.
Cheers!

checked the photos by Ulf,a Swedish birder on 29 Apr and we found there were actually more,most of which were in breeding plumage.

Great stuff Mcaribou, keep up the good work! Not heard of any records from the Hebei coast this year, Happy Island etc. The breeding survey is about to start, fingers crossed it's a successful season this year.

Mark

Back from Xinjiang.Many birds in nest.Highlight includes two adult and at least one hatchling of Imperial Eagle.
Hope Spooner's breeding goes well and they'll come back to Rudong soon.

Back from Xinjiang.Many birds in nest.Highlight includes two adult and at least one hatchling of Imperial Eagle.
Hope Spooner's breeding goes well and they'll come back to Rudong soon.

I'll let you know the results Mcaribou, survey team on location right now, fingers crossed!

8 Nordmann's Greenshank in Rudong on 27 July.Now in a sea trip in Shandong trying to find Chinese Crested Tern.
I think Spooner will have arrived when I get back to Shanghai next week.

Hi rockfowl
what's going on about the survey?
at Rudong,one adult was recorded on 24 Aug.
in early Sep I may be free to visit Rudong to see if there're more Spooners there.

I'm going to be in Shanghai from 19 - 23 rd September and will be heading to Chongming for at least one night. I'm looking forward to seeing some good migration activity.
Also where's a good place to stay there?
Neil.

Chongming is a big island.It's according to where u visit.If u visit Dongtan NR at the east end of the island, u can night at Qianshao (Nongchang) Town which is 8km from the NR.

Thanks folks,

I'll let you know the survey details as soon as clarified although I hear it is once again not good news!

Xiaoming, where is 'geziwo' in Beidaihe?

Geziwo is literally Pigeon's nest (park) - the formal name of the park on the point at the sand flats. So tricky how many names a place can have ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back