Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birding Chicago in May 2005

Old Saturday 9th October 2004, 17:18   #1
Cuckoo-shrike

Birding Chicago in May 2005

I'm going to visit my daughter in Chicago for 10 days in May, at a time chosen to coincide, of course, with migration. She lives close to the lake, so I'll spend early mornings at Montrose, which I think is a brilliant migrant trap.

Can someone please give me some information to help fill in a few gaps in my US list:

Clay-colored Sparrow - does it breed at Springbrook Prairie? Anywhere else?
Sedge Wren - Goose Lake Prairie? Anywhere else?
Bell's Vireo - Pratt's Wayne Woods?
Dickcissel - ?
Alder Flycatcher - ?
Acadian Flycatcher - ?
Eastern Screech Owl - ?
Cape May, Connecticut and Mourning Warblers - presumably a good chance at Montrose and/or Elsen Hill?
Kentucky Warbler - any local breeding sites?

To optimise my chances, I reckon May 11th-21st would be the best time. Agreed?

Thanks

Andy
Old Saturday 9th October 2004, 17:42   #2
Larry Lade
Super Moderator
BF Supporter 2018

Andy, you should have a great time in the Chicago area during your visit. I think the first two weeks in May is the optimal time for the sring migration. Sorry I cannot be of particular helping you find your target birds. As I am not too familiar with the sites imediately around Chicago. Our youngest son lives in Ottawa, Illinois, which is about 80 miles west of Chicago on Interstate Highway 80. When we go up there for a visit I usually manage to get to some nearby birding spots. One of my favorites is Starved Rock State Park. This is near the Illinois River and Fox River and there are wooded canyons which are great for producing birds. This park is just ten miles south of Ottawa. I do wish you success in finding your target birds!

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 9th October 2004, 18:16   #3
Cuckoo-shrike

Thanks Larry. We went to Starved Rock on our last visit - wonderful place. But, we were there in late April, just before the action started!
I think you're right that the first two weeks of May probably produce peak numbers of migrants, but I reckon I would be lucky to see Ct and Mourning Warblers during that period.
Andy
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: