• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spoon-billed Sandpipers at Mai Po Marshes (1 Viewer)

Neil

I finally managed to see and photograph at least one Spoon-Billed Sandpiper at Mai Po Marshes in Hong Kong yesterday. In this photo I suspect that there may be more than one. Can anyone confirm? Neil.

Attachments

• spoonbill sandpiper.wadersKIF_9107.jpg
    spoonbill sandpiper.wadersKIF_9107.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 281
Neil said:
I finally managed to see and photograph at least one Spoon-Billed Sandpiper at Mai Po Marshes in Hong Kong yesterday. In this photo I suspect that there may be more than one. Can anyone confirm? Neil.

I can't see any at all, though one or two birds are not showing their bills. Where is the bird you mean?

steve

Steve Lister said:
I can't see any at all, though one or two birds are not showing their bills. Where is the bird you mean?

steve

1st left from the two stints in centre frame, one of which is neck preening and one of which is wing-stretching? If that's the bird in question, then it does show some promise (large, whiteish head, broad bill at base).

Up and to the left of that bird is a right-facing stint with an apparent broad billtip- bit I think that is an optical illusion and in fact is a blob on the mud behind it!

Steve Lister said:

steve

I only see one that perhaps could be the real thing.

Attachments

• spoonbill sandpiper[1].jpg
    spoonbill sandpiper[1].jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 204
Rasmus Boegh said:
I only see one that perhaps could be the real thing.
That's the one I thought might be showing mud illusion...the bill including its tip just looks a bit slight and not quite right.

white-back said:
That's the one I thought might be showing mud illusion...the bill including its tip just looks a bit slight and not quite right.

I think you could be right. The bill does look a bit strange for a Spoonbilled. Likewise, the greyish pattern on the crown doesn't seem streaked enough for a winter Sppobilled, but I could be wrong. Only another photo could confirm if it indeed was the real thing. Of course - if it was confirmed in the field that would be good too (rather than just found when looking at the photo afterwards).

Last edited:
edenwatcher said:
I think there are at least 2. The bird Rasmus arrowed, and also the one down and to the right of it.

Rob

I think that`s the one, with the slightly split supercilium and dark ear coverts.
JanJ

JANJ said:
I think that`s the one, with the slightly split supercilium and dark ear coverts.
JanJ
That's my number one candidate. Then there's the neck preening bird just ot the right of it, which also shows a broad based bill, but apparent bill base breadth may simply be due to movement blur as it is preening and cast shadow. So based on this picture alone, I am still only seeing one good candidate. It would be good to see another picture taken about 1 second later...

Surely the bird with the invisible bill is one

compare with http://www.birdsoman.com/SpoonbilledSandpiper53927.jpg
for the 'split supercilium'

after old fashioned (Antonioni's blow-up like) magnifying I found Rasmus' bird with a visible bill

so that makes probably two I would say

cheers,
HouseCrow

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 213
  • spoonbilled-sandpiper2.jpg
    spoonbilled-sandpiper2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
I agree that the best candidate is the sitting bill-hiding bird. Though the white on the head including the supercilia is variable it looks about right. Even though the bill tip is hidden the upper contour of the culmen can be seen and it is right - a sort of ovoid. The very small black gape line is also discernable.

cuckooroller said:
I agree that the best candidate is the sitting bill-hiding bird. Though the white on the head including the supercilia is variable it looks about right. Even though the bill tip is hidden the upper contour of the culmen can be seen and it is right - a sort of ovoid. The very small black gape line is also discernable.

Agree!
JanJ

Spoon-billed Sandpiper id's

I have marked the birds I was not sure about. The one in the middle was the original bird that I thought was a possiblity , even though you can't see the end of it's bill. If I enlarge the bird on the left the bill tip seems 'spoonbilled' like. The bird on the right with a little breeding color I don't know. Neil.

Attachments

• spoonbill sandpiper.u#B0A7D.jpg
    spoonbill sandpiper.u#B0A7D.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 169
Clarification on Spoon-billed Sandpiper id's

Thanks for all your good comments. The adavantage of the Kyocera SL400R is that it takes a lot of photos very fast (3 frames per second ) and I usually hold the shutter down to make sure I get various poses. I went back to the Rubbish Bin and got out the photos before and after the one posted. The original Spoonbilled Sandpiper didn't show it's bill most of the time when I watched it for 15 mins before disturbed by low flying Black Kite. The attached photo shows it settled down again. The thickness of the bill still indicates Spoon-billed to me but this is the first time for me seeing one. The the rear left bird's bill in the original photo must have been an optical illusion with some mark in the background and the right bird is ruled out to. Is it a Red-Necked Stint? Unfortunately the smaller waders at Mai Po are usually between 70-120 meters away from the hide so I think I will get a lot of photos like this in the coming years. Thanks again for all you good comments.Neil.

Attachments

• unsure sp sandpiper.r#B0AB0.jpg
    unsure sp sandpiper.r#B0AB0.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 170
  • unsure sp sandsandpip#B0AB2.jpg
    unsure sp sandsandpip#B0AB2.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 158
  • spoonbill sandpiper.s#B0ACF.jpg
    spoonbill sandpiper.s#B0ACF.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 184
Neil,
Well, for sure you got one. First photo from left. The others aren't, though you see the same sitting spoonbilled in secondo piano in the far right photo.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back