• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ed's thread (9 Viewers)

hello all

what fun to come back from a week or so away and to find so much activity on the forum- lots of new stuff too

here's something nice for the fans of cave doings- I managed to visit the originals of two of my absolute favourite things in the world

"bison se lechant" carving

+ 1 beast from the 5 bison freeze in Font de Gaume cave

both about 15,000 years old

mind-bendingly beautiful: down in Font de Gaume with just enough light to see how early cromag. worked dark into the contours, used the shape of the rock, engraved some of the outlines

bonus feature is snap of a page from Gunnar Brusewitz circa 1967 showing both

Attachments

• q9 550FdeG.jpg
    q9 550FdeG.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 41
  • q9 550 DSC_3339.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_3339.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 40
  • q9 550 DSC_3337 copy.jpg
    q9 550 DSC_3337 copy.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 40
how very exciting - would love to see these in real life - I'm going to start a list of 'must-see' things. So far I think Guernica and the Berlin Archaeopteryx are pretty high priority - oh and Ennion's Spotshanks!

how very exciting - would love to see these in real life - I'm going to start a list of 'must-see' things. So far I think Guernica and the Berlin Archaeopteryx are pretty high priority - oh and Ennion's Spotshanks!

You gotta add the south american rainforest to that list Nick...

And yes, I really would like to see the artwork that would inspire..

I still don't know where the original of those spotshanks resides- as far as I know it knocked about in the RSPB offices in Sandy in ?the 1970s

you could buy prints of it at Minsmere in the late 1970s I am told by a proud but currently not-selling owner....

then of course it featured full spread (so spinally split) in Living Birds

I have an infringing (but I don't think the good doctor would mind) high res scan with the spinal split removed, but that still leaves the question of where the original is

Last edited:
I still don't know where the original of those spotshanks resides- as far as I know it knocked about in the RSPB offices in Sandy in ?the 1970s

you could buy prints of it at Minsmere in the late 1970s I am told by a proud but currently not-selling owner....

then of course it featured full spread (so spinally split) in Living Birds

I have an infringing (but I don't think the good doctor would mind) high res scan with the spinal split removed, but that still leaves the question of where the original is

I was afraid I had no idea what picture you were talking about, until you mentioned the full spread in 'Living Birds.' Almost feel like I can consider myself a real bird artist now since I knew what that referred to and how it also had a lot to do with convincing me that bird art could reach extremely high levels.

a couple of drawings from mostly wet France

its a bit strange trying to draw birds in France and noticing them obediently gathering themselves in dynamic and beautiful Derry-esque arrangements

so for example I haven't yet attempted to render the Red-backed Shrike perching top right in a bush with a bunch of teazles hurling themselves at it like a cluster of stick grenades

but here's a couple of crayon doings

Attachments

• q9 550 rbs bales DSC_3346 copy.jpg
    q9 550 rbs bales DSC_3346 copy.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 62
  • q9 550 msw DSC_3344 copy.jpg
    q9 550 msw DSC_3344 copy.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 67
Both very striking Ed. It looks like the medium is good for you. Like Colleen I'm curious as to what type of crayon. This reminds me of reading a Michael Warren book and it saying how he used crayons. Your first drawing looks a bit similar to some of those. But nowhere did it say what type of crayon he used. I've always wondered. Maybe you can shed light on the type you've used.

Both very striking Ed. It looks like the medium is good for you. Like Colleen I'm curious as to what type of crayon. This reminds me of reading a Michael Warren book and it saying how he used crayons. Your first drawing looks a bit similar to some of those. But nowhere did it say what type of crayon he used. I've always wondered. Maybe you can shed light on the type you've used.

the R-b Shrike was deliberate effort to do something slightly more controlled and thoughtful than usual, Warren doubtless in mind and also a deliberate effort to leave some white bits in, a la Brusewitz who I have been enjoying having a renewed browse at lately

so to maintain control it was executed in the field at least 400 metres from the nearest fridge and before the first couple of glasses of rose of the day, underdrawn in purplish tones first, then colour on top

as for what crayons? the usual embarrassment of having to disclose a bit of a random approach: grabbed off the shelf at my local art shop without regard to make or brand

but close inspection shows them to "eurocolor holland"

which in turn I see by a quick google have been discussed on wet canvas item 2 here

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2827849&postcount=82

I almost recognise that shrike - looks like they enjoy the same bits of fence all over France. The middle spot is a wonderful piece - colour, composition, and middle spot!

one more shot at the Hobbies, then time to put them to one side and get a French r b shrike painting out of my system

I had fancied a few closer encounters with the adults this w/e, but they whizz in, get robbed by the juvs before they get even with a hundred metres of the nest and not unreasonably they whizz off again

so here's the two bandit juvs having a breather in dappled light of late summer oak

Attachments

• q9 550 juv hobby DSC_3361 copy.jpg
    q9 550 juv hobby DSC_3361 copy.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 58
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back