• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baader Hyperion Finetuning Rings... anyone? (1 Viewer)

dwminnich

Hi folks,

I've finally ordered a Baader Hyperion 17mm eyepiece for digiscoping with my Celestron Regal F-ED 80 (it's not here yet... I'm getting antsy, 'tho' I just ordered it last evening |;|). I noticed that the Hyperion has the option of using one or more finetuning rings, which as nearly as I can tell alter the length of the barrel of the eyepiece, thereby altering the focal length of the eyepiece.

So, a couple of questions:

1. I know from folks' experiences on this forum that the Hyperion 17 works well with my scope... does anyone have any experience with those finetuning rings and the Hyperion/Regal combination?

2. In general, what, if any, degradation to the quality of the view might be caused by using these finetuning rings? Are there any general cautions/experiences you might share?

Thanks in advance for your help,

--dave

I've messed around with them in the past but not on the Regal. You shouldn't notice any loss in image quality. You will lose some eye relief though which can affect vignetting. I can't remember how much eye relief difference there is though.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul, that's good to know. I guess I'll have to get one and give it a try once the eyepiece arrives.

--dave

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back