• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone in Palm Beach County successful in attracting hummingbirds? (1 Viewer)

Variable Potpourri
I have put feeders out and planted to advertise, but have never seen a hummingbird around here.
My husband, who grew up in this general area, says he saw a few as a child but none in the past 30+ years or so...
I'm not sure if we are too over-developed in this area or just off the migration path?

They are rare in your area. This came up a few months ago, and several residents took issue with my claim that there aren't any hummers in South Florida, saying they do, in fact, occasionally show up. My parents have lived in South Florida for 24 years (Boynton Beach, now Lake Worth), and they've never seen one. I think you'll have to be very patient and alert to see one. Most range maps show them mostly from mid-state (say, Orlando) and northward.

Last edited:
(I spent many years in Wellyworld, and then some time in Lake Worth.)

That's a shame...I had read of folks as far south as Miami having the red-throated variety visit.

Well - I'm planning to move to the Carolinas, so maybe I'll have better luck then, if I'm not too close to the mountains.

Some Ruby-throated hummers come down to winter in South Florida. The only one I've ever seen in Fla. was several years ago in Stuart in early spring and it only stayed around a few days and then headed off (north I presumed). I wouldn't be looking for one in Jupiter except the possible one migrating through (and I don't believe there are many of those). I'm sure you'll have more luck with them in the Carolinas.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back