• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Quandary (1 Viewer)

I have to say if I was buying a scope today I'd buy an ED82 for sea watching etc and an ED50 for my patch.[/QUOTE]

Exactly the set up I have, ED82 & 30x & ED50 & 27x, fantastic optics to cover all situations.

John.

Good day to all,
Wow thanks guys, now I really have no idea!!! No seriously, this has been most educative, along with kind PM'd offers to try them out in my own time. Totally agree that I shall need to try them out side by side. Haden't considered zoom lens as sometime ago tried one out at Dunge RSPB and wasn't over excited, but I suspect technology has moved on. They seem to get rave reviews wherever I look, some more than others. Yep, big investment (My latest BMW only cost £200 a year ago and still motors along wonderfully) so am in no rush to plunge headlong in. Main reason for new one is the thread for tripod attachment on my old Charles Frank has just about given up the ghost. To have it re threaded or halicoil fitted would only be temporary and would be guaranteed to fail at the most inappropriate moment.
Thanks to all for their advice, much appreciated.

Jono

postcardcv said:
Hi Kimmo

as I did stress my preference for the Leica is a personal thing and I understand others having opposing views. I work in an optics shop and regularly view through the top four scopes (Leica, Nikon, Swarovski and Zeiss), I find that there is little to choose between them optically. This opinion is reflected in the fact that all four sell well, if one was significantly better optically everyone would buy it.

I do own the Leica APO77 (on my second one now), for me it's the best of the bunch. To my eyes it delivers the truest colours and the sharpest image, plus I love the twin focus wheel system.

I would agree that the Nikon is a great scope and delivers a very sharp image. But I do not get on too well with the zoom eyepeice, as this is what I use it is an important consideration.

I completely agree with you that it is vital to test these things for yourself, if possible testing the scopes side by side.

Postcardcv,

You work in an optics shop and and you mention four scope brands. Have you had a chance to view Kowa scopes and do you not consider the Kowa to be equal to these?

greg g said:
Postcardcv,

You work in an optics shop and and you mention four scope brands. Have you had a chance to view Kowa scopes and do you not consider the Kowa to be equal to these?

In my opinion the top Kowa scopes (until recently the 823/4) are excellent, though to my eyes they are slightly behind the other top scopes. That said they are noticabley cheaper too and therefore offer extremely good value.

hopefully the new Kowa scope will be a real step up (it certainly is in price). I have only tested a standard glass version of the new 88mm scope, but was impressed with it. A good bright, sharp image, I like the new focusing system (twin wheel like the Leica and Zeiss) and was impressed by the seemingly solid build and relatively light weight. The big test will be putting a Prominar version next to the current top four and seeing how it performs... I just hope it's as good as it's price tag suggests it will be.

postcardcv said:
In my opinion the top Kowa scopes (until recently the 823/4) are excellent, though to my eyes they are slightly behind the other top scopes. That said they are noticabley cheaper too and therefore offer extremely good value.

I´m not sure about that. I´ve got the impression that variation from sample to sample is of more relevance than the differences between the brands. The 82 mm Prominars have very good contrast at daylight compared with some of the Top brands IMHO. Unfortunately the Kowas aren´t really cheaper here.

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back