• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Beijing botanical garden(China) birding (1 Viewer)

Yes, it's a Daurian Redstart. In April, you will see more. (They are migrate birds, but sometimes witer. So does Yellow-throated bunting)

After Lunch, I spend one hour to take some photos of plants. Many beautiful flowers: Lonicera fragrantissima, Cornus officinalis, Crocus sativus,....... and so on
IN the bush, I see three Daurian Redstart, and two Palla's Leaf Warbler. They may juct come form South China.

Also have a question here:In recent days, I alaways hear Woodpeckers knock the woods, is this(knock) a way for attracting female? Anyone have some ideas?
Thank you.

Attachments

• nEO_IMG_P1000799.jpg
    nEO_IMG_P1000799.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 37
  • nEO_IMG_P1000781.jpg
    nEO_IMG_P1000781.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 41
  • nEO_IMG_P1000748.jpg
    nEO_IMG_P1000748.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 38
  • nEO_IMG_P1000835.jpg
    nEO_IMG_P1000835.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 46
Hi Xiaoming,

Nice pictures - though we're not far away, your spring is always so much earlier than ours! No sign of flowers here at all yet.

Apparently woodpeckers knock or drum to show their territory. I was recently reading this thread about it http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=137558&highlight=woodpeckers (#2 Scott's post gives the most info).

I was out in a local forest/park yesterday early in the morning and was surprised at how many woodpeckers were drumming. I think I saw a grey-headed and a great spotted, but didn't see either very well, though I saw quite a few flying about. (I'm trying to learn their calls to help me tell them by sound.)

I also was quite surprised to see 3 male pheasants - the first I've seen in China I think. They were making very loud calls - I'm not sure to attract females or establish their territory. I guess you see pheasants on your patch sometimes? Are they fairly commonly seen? (I know they are "common pheasants" ;) but not for me.)

Gretchen

Hi Gretchen
They are very common.

Today, I climbed the Baiwang Hill for migrated raptors(see the map in post 8#, BaiWang is the nothesat hill around botanical garden.).
From 8am-10:20am
we saw
20 Common Buzzard
6 Saprrowhawk
3 Northern Goshawk
1 Eastern Marsh-Harrier.
Although we didn't see any Crane and Eagle(some birder saw one White-naped Crane in Thursday), it is also not too bad.

Hi Xiaoming,

I would be quite happy to see this many raptors! Is the hill very tall? Does it have some special characteristic to attract raptors or is it just a good place to see them from? (I was at the garden years ago and remember a little but not much.) I guess these birds are going to be there for the summer, or perhaps they are still migrating north?

By the way the other day when I saw the pheasants I also saw my first Hoopoe (finally!). They look so easy to notice in the books, but now I see they do blend into their habitat better than I imagined.

Gretchen

HI Gretchen
the hill is not tall, Lotus Hill(Lianfengshan) in beidaihe is also a good place to see raptors.
You can climb to the top. There is a watch tower there. Many people like to watching raptors and cranes on the tower.

Thanks Xiaoming!

Actually it took me a long time to figure out where "Lotus Hills" was - I wonder if only visiting birders call it that? Everyone here calls it lianfengshan ;)

I'm hoping to get to go to the park for a morning before long (but writing work is very busy these days |=(| )

For the next couple of months it will be worth checking out any patch of habitat from the beach and sea to the rivers to the mountains to the parks - anywhere with a bit of cover - for migrants - and the sky for migrating cranes, raptors etc.

There are some pretty special birds to look for - a web search for Beidaihe birding reports will give you some idea of the wonderful range of birds possible.

Cheers
Mike

Hi Xiaoming,

I just wanted to share the good news - the warblers arrived today! I suddenly found at least a dozen on campus. I will have to work on identifying them - maybe Pallas leaf warblers or maybe another, but they had a lot of yellow. I'm thinking I better get a picture to really figure them out.

Hope you are enjoying the birds and flowers in your area too.

Gretchen

Congratulations on the Scops! A very nice find. (I am still figuring out how to play the recording, but will :)

I saw the first swallows this weekend. Perhaps you had them earlier?

Gretchen

In front of my lab, I grow a lotus. At noon, I see several Magpies standing on the pot and drinking. Very clever birds.

I always hear about the clever behavior of the crow family, but have never actually watched crows or magpies doing something like that - quite interesting! (I've put out water on my open balcony but never got the magpies to come investigate.)

Today we saw lots of egrets! Pretty rainy day here and I didn't really go out to watch birds, but the egrets' flight path seemed to be over our campus today and I saw some from the apartment, and some while out a little in the evening. Saw small groups and individuals, and also some sort of crane and a heron (but not well enough to identify |8(|)

Indian cuckoos are coming. Now, I can hear many singing around my dorm. But I hear nothing at noon. Maybe they just come this afternoon.

Since you mentioned this, I pulled up a recording - a very distinctive song! I hadn't realized this was a bird to look for - thanks for mentioning it! Very nice to have them in your area. Will they stay all summer?

My excitement last week was two new birds on campus (just passing through probably) - 2 vinous parrotbills and an olive-backed pipit (I believe).

Gretchen

Indian cuckoo is summer bird in North China. In beijing they usually lay eggs in Azure-winged Magpies' nests.

Friday, I saw two Chinese Nuthatch in our garden.

Attachments

• P1010614.jpg
    P1010614.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 82
Hi Gretchen
They are very common.

Today, I climbed the Baiwang Hill for migrated raptors(see the map in post 8#, BaiWang is the nothesat hill around botanical garden.).
From 8am-10:20am
we saw
20 Common Buzzard
6 Saprrowhawk
3 Northern Goshawk
1 Eastern Marsh-Harrier.
Although we didn't see any Crane and Eagle(some birder saw one White-naped Crane in Thursday), it is also not too bad.

Today, my friends see 2046 Oriental Honey-buzzards flying over Baiwang Hill, a very exciting record.

Amazing ! a great record for Beijing!

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike
Also several hundreds yesterday.
The biggest flock of migration raptors is about 1 week later than last year. (Last year 800 OHB in May 11th.).So do sing birds.
Do you feel this in HK?

Cheers
Li Ming

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back