• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Slow Learner....?? (1 Viewer)

AlanGino

Wednesday of this week apparently the dominant male Ruby-Throated hummingbird of my feeder took flight leaving the feeder domain up for grabs. Thursday morning I noted a new ruler of the roost. It was seemingly a little more tolerant of trespassers to a degree, but not much.

I immediately noticed something quite curious however and that was that the hummer was not feeding via the yellow flowers on the feeder. It appeared to be going round and round the feeder lapping, if you will, the areas where the perch came into contact with the main feeder. I suppose there must be obvious seepage and dripping in minute amounts from the yellow flowers when the hummers are feeding through them. This hummer is almost continually at the feeder and has been for the last two days.

Due to size I could not post them here, but I have posted a couple of videos of this hummer doing his thing on a webpage of my little website if you would like to take a look. Again I am curious if anyone else has observed such behavior? Even though other hummers have been at the feeder briefly when he was there, it seems he just doesn’t get it!

I would guess that your feeder leaks and this hummer is finding enough nectar on the outside to satisfy his needs. If this is true, I wouldn't qualify the bird as a slow learner. Rather, he has already learned how to get nectar from this particular "flower", and thus has no need to investigate it more.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back