• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon Sporter 10x36 (1 Viewer)

Focus Wheel Problem?

Definitely an excellent pair of bins for the money.....however has anybody with a pair had a problem with the focus wheel. The front seems to come loose and thus moves in and out as you turn the wheel. (if you have a pair you will see what I mean)?

JP

Last edited:
jpoyner said:
Definitely an excellent pair of bins for the money.....however has anybody with a pair had a problem with the focus wheel. The front seems to come loose and thus moves in and out as you turn the wheel. (if you have a pair you will see what I mean)?

JP

I've checked mine and they don't appear to have this problem (but they are fairly new). Were yours like this from new?

Des.

desgreene said:
I've checked mine and they don't appear to have this problem (but they are fairly new). Were yours like this from new?

Des.

Don't think so, seems to have just worked loose. As I said doesn't affect use, but would allow dust etc to get into the focus mechanism eventually. Will have to send them back for a check. I just wondered if this was a common fault.

JP

Hope the 8 x 36 are as good as everyone says.......just bought two pairs - for myself and her indoors, to replace our ageing Bressers.

Will let you know.....

Chris.

Scrums said:
Hope the 8 x 36 are as good as everyone says.......just bought two pairs - for myself and her indoors, to replace our ageing Bressers.

Will let you know.....

Chris.
They're first class - put them next to my Swaro 8.5x42 ELs, and all you really notice is a very slightly less bright image and a touch narrower field of view.

scampo said:
They're first class - put them next to my Swaro 8.5x42 ELs, and all you really notice is a very slightly less bright image and a touch narrower field of view.

Have to agree......I was pretty amazed when I field tested them against a pair of similar Swaros........slightly less bright image but clarity superb. Not exactly 600 quids worth of difference !!!!! Nikon really have come up with an stunning pair of "affordable" bins............

JP

Nikon really have come up with an stunning pair of "affordable" bins............

Just taken delivery of a pair for the Managing Director: for the money they are just great, identical to my Avians from Ace Optics at £280 odd.

As I, and several others' have said, is there £600 - £800 difference between these and top of the range bins ? I would suggest not for paupers like me.

The eye cups are not 100%, will probably work a bit loose, but the laccy band solution sounds fine to me.

Just a question before taking a decision.
¿Any fogging problems with the Sporters? This is the only thing that makes me doubt. The other option is a pair of Opticron Imagic TGA, which are nitrogen filled...
Thank you very much in advance

Hi,

For those of you who fancy something slightly more esoteric than rubber bands to hold the eyecups in the right place:

Measure the diameter of the tube that needs to be fitted, then go into your local hardware store and buy a fist full of rubber 'O' rings that will fit the tube without being loose. You can then slip the required number of rings over the tube to hold the eyepiece in exactly the right position. The 'O' rings are black so will not detract from the appearance of your bins. Not quite as cheap as ordinary rubber bands but only a few pence and available almost everywhere (even rural Lincolnshire).

Steve

Xabi said:
Just a question before taking a decision.
¿Any fogging problems with the Sporters? This is the only thing that makes me doubt. The other option is a pair of Opticron Imagic TGA, which are nitrogen filled...
Thank you very much in advance

I've had my 8x36 for nearly a year now and have used them in the foulest of weather (and, through neccesity, brought them straight from the cold into the hottest house in the universe - thankfully now moved from that hell hole ;) ) and to date have had no problems at all. I've used them in driving rain on several occasions and the only problem encountered has been the outside of the eyepieces steaming up on occasion (when they're up to my eyes)

Hope this helps

Steve999 said:
Hi,

For those of you who fancy something slightly more esoteric than rubber bands to hold the eyecups in the right place:

Measure the diameter of the tube that needs to be fitted, then go into your local hardware store and buy a fist full of rubber 'O' rings that will fit the tube without being loose. You can then slip the required number of rings over the tube to hold the eyepiece in exactly the right position. The 'O' rings are black so will not detract from the appearance of your bins. Not quite as cheap as ordinary rubber bands but only a few pence and available almost everywhere (even rural Lincolnshire).

Steve

That's a good idea Steve :t:

I've been looking for some of those "C" shaped plastic cable clip thingys to no avail..........might redirect my search to "O" rings instead
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back