• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moray birding (1 Viewer)

Some nice birds around this morning:

Nairn:
50 Brent Geese beside Golf Club , 1 colour ringed bird, Red Throated Diver, Long Tailed Duck, Common Scoter

Ardersier/Whiteness:
Good views of Peregrine at plucking station. High tide roost of Dunlin and Redshank and at least 25 Twite.

Killer Black-headed Gull ?

Been catching up on my filing and wondered if anyone can explain the pictures in the link. It was at Loch Spynie, June this year, the 1st picture shows a dead juvenile, the remaining show an adult, I presume, trying to kill another juvenile, it would stand on its' back and try and force it down in to the water, and also pecking it around the head, went on for about 45 minutes before the Mute scared it off, but went back to this behaviour when the swan family moved off, attack lasted well over an hour and the juvenile was in a real sorry state when I left, soaked and bedraggled. I fear it may have met the same fate as the other one. Just wondering if there is an explanation or if this behaviour has been seen before ?

Jim.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sre...1sRgCKL9o-74k72jTQ&invite=CNei3pcO&feat=email

I would go for the chicks not being those of the adult bird and had inadvertently strayed into the wrong territory? Best guess!

Last edited:
Burghead

Has anyone been birding In the Burghead area recently ? I am up that way on Sunday and I'm tempted to spend a bit of time birding while I am there.

Morning Ben Nevis, I have not been at Burghead this week so cannot report personally what is about, and there has been nothing of note on birdguides. I would say it is always worth a visit and we are long overdue a Surf Scoter in the area! If you are driving then remember to nip into the roseisle woods to the west of Burghead, good for Slav and Velvet scoter, try and hit the high tide for this location.

If possible can you put your sightings up on this thread? Good luck and have a great visit.

Dave

Morning Ben Nevis, I have not been at Burghead this week so cannot report personally what is about, and there has been nothing of note on birdguides. I would say it is always worth a visit and we are long overdue a Surf Scoter in the area! If you are driving then remember to nip into the roseisle woods to the west of Burghead, good for Slav and Velvet scoter, try and hit the high tide for this location.

If possible can you put your sightings up on this thread? Good luck and have a great visit.

Dave

Cheers Dave and I shall post anything I see on here.

Great Northern diver x2
50+ Eider
32 Long Tailed ducks (off Chanonry Point)
Countless Linnet + Twite across telephone wires in fields around Munlochy.

Nice bright day too.

Great Northern diver x2
50+ Eider
32 Long Tailed ducks (off Chanonry Point)
Countless Linnet + Twite across telephone wires in fields around Munlochy.

Nice bright day too.

Should this report not be on the Highlands and Islands thread ?

My mistake Ratal

No problems. Apologise from me for the abrupt tone of my above post, small screen of the phone and lack of keyboard makes a for a terrible experience.

....and have now found my tablet charger.

Will report back from Findhorn Tuesday evening.

My mistake Ratal

For the purpose of bird recording the Black Isle is in Highland not Moray! The thread is Moray Birding not Moray Firth Birding. You would not expect to see records from East Sutherland here would you.

No reason not to start a Moray Firth thread then everyone would be happy.

I could re-title this thread Moray and Moray Firth Birding, if you think that would cover it? Or any other suggestions?

Happy New Year to you all.

I could re-title this thread Moray and Moray Firth Birding, if you think that would cover it? Or any other suggestions?

That may be a good Idea Delia.

I must admit,I did think that Moray Birding would be restricted to the old county of Morayshire or Moray as we know It now.

I did start the thread for the coverage of just Moray and Nairn, there is a separate thread for the Highlands.

No objections if someone wants to start a Moray Firth thread, but would be happier if this thread stayed for Moray and Nairn only.

:) Dave

I did start the thread for the coverage of just Moray and Nairn, there is a separate thread for the Highlands.

No objections if someone wants to start a Moray Firth thread, but would be happier if this thread stayed for Moray and Nairn only.

:) Dave

Hi folks.

Off Nairn beach today Great Northern Diver pair (one came.up.with fish, waved it up.and.down and passed it to the other who ate it) , Dipper on the river under the bridge and plenty of Long Tailed Ducks and Scoters.

The rest ill happily place in Highlands and Islands.

I think that could get a bit confusing as a huge area of the Moray Firth would come under Highland ie Tarbat Ness which is miles away from Moray over land.....Moray Birders, stick to your boundaries please..........you may get an Ivory Gull one day ;) ;)

Last edited:
Hi John, we never started the Moray Firth debate, it was a Highland poster that started it so I shall return the statement with ... Highland Birders Keep to your boundaries please :)

I agree Moray Firth is too big and too vague an area so best we all keep to seperate threads.

Did you get the Lesser Scaup at Alturlie and the Ivory gull MUST have passed through Moray so can we claim it as well?

You in the hotel tomorrow John, I've a pick up ay 08:15 so might see you there for a catch up.

Dave

Last edited:
Hi John, we never started the Moray Firth debate, it was a Highland poster that started it so I shall return the statement with ... Highland Birders Keep to your boundaries please :)

I agree Moray Firth is too big and too vague an area so best we all keep to seperate threads.

Did you get the Lesser Scaup at Alturlie and the Ivory gull MUST have passed through Moray so can we claim it as well?

You in the hotel tomorrow John, I've a pick up ay 08:15 so might see you there for a catch up.

Dave

Some of that luminous orange grouse fencing across the fields somewhere near Nairn will do the trick to keep things straight :)
Won't be in the hotel in morning but off to Findhorn Dunes in afternoon....60+ in hotel so not sure how many may turn up!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back