• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Manfrotto is better? (3 Viewers)

birdboybowley

Well-known member.....apparently so ;)
England
After finally kicking my piece of crap Swarovski tripod apart recently on a trip to Norway when it leg-lock failed AGAIN and dropped my 'scope to the floor AGAIN I have decided to go for the plunge and splurge nearly £400 on a poxy carbon fibre Manfrotto
So, which is better, the MT190CXPRO4 or the MT055CXPRO4....? And is the Xpro Fluid head a good match to these?
An expensive tantrum but boy, it felt feckin' good to smash that turd of a 'pod to bits - just wish I'd brought the carrying strap back with me as these tripods don't seem to come with one....for £400!!
Any advice greatly appreciated

Ads

It would likely help with recommendations if you let us know what scope you need support for.

Definitely don't recommend the xpro for the 95mm Swaros. I didn't like it for an ATS 80 Swaro either.

Cheers so far guys - it will be for a Leica APO-77 Bill...for the moment ;)
As to the Gitzo - aren't they a bit bulky? Really want to cut down on weight when travelling too....the ole Swaro was a beast and weighed a tonne.....
Just wanna get one now and then hopefully never have to buy another one!

Ads,

I haven't really kept up on tripods so I can't be much help, but knowing you are using a Leica77 may help others with a recommendation. I'm using a Gitzo G1227 with a Sirui head for a Swaro ATS95. That's a 1st gen CF pod, got it used for $300 many years ago. Keep thinking of upgrading...until I see the current prices for CF!

You may want to be aware that the Swaro pod you had was likely a rebadged one..and IIRC they were rebadged Bogen/Manfrotto. I'm a fan and past/present user of many Swaro optics, but have nothing to do with their accessories. They are really overpriced and at times of low quality.

Was it a Swaro head that you also trashed? The ones I've seen are abysmal.

I'd probably recommend the good ole Manfrotto 128RC for a head. I ordered an Xpro with high hopes for use with my ATS95, but it was severely underbuilt for that and I wasn't really happy with how it perforrned with the lighter AT80 either.

Good luck, wish I good give you a specific recommendation.

I would take the 055 over the 190 as it is a much more stable tripod - it is taller so you will not need to use the central column as much (if at all). 3LeggedThing tripods are also well work a look...

To save weight, don't discount the Manfrotto 700RC2 head (0.52kg as opposed to 1kg for the 128RC2). At nearly 2kg including eyepiece, your scope would be at the upper end of the head's payload limit though but, with care I think it might just take it. Its also far easier to use than the 128RC2 with fewer adjustments to make and a much smoother action.

Frankly I have never seen a Manfrotto tripod, and I've seen dozens, that is worth 400 dollars let alone 4oo pounds. The tubing is too thin and at least a generation out of date. Gitzo and RRS are very good but way overpriced, at least one and a half what they should be. Since Gitzo got bought out by the same people who own Manfrotto they ain't what they were though reportedly the quality is somewhat better lately. The names to look at in that price range are Induro (some real deals as they are redoing the line), Benro, Sirui, Feisol and Slik but only the top of the line they make some cheap junk. I have and love the Manfrotto 502 Video head for my Kowa 803 scope. Its the best I've found if you can handle the weight.
My opinions involve a lot of money and time sending back losers. I currently have three Induros and won't be looking at tripods for a long time. I use them for photography as well as birding.
Steve

I can't give a direct answer to your question, but I'm running the manfrotto MT055CXPRO3 with MVH500AH fluid video head for an ATX85. Very stable combination, and the damping of the CF legs is a joy for digiscoping.
I'm very happy with this combo, I'm glad I didn't save money and buy the alu legged version instead, even the best scope is useless without a decent tripod.

As to the Gitzo - aren't they a bit bulky? Really want to cut down on weight when travelling too....the ole Swaro was a beast and weighed a tonne.....
Just wanna get one now and then hopefully never have to buy another one!

No, a Gitzo tripod is lighter and slimmer for the same performance. The Gitzo sytematics (no center column) are wider at the top but their performance is even better and they tend to be marginally lighter.
Like you I use a 77mm scope (mine is a Kowa) and, due to the higher magnification, I find scopes to be more demanding of tripods than even the longest lenses (I use a Canon 800mm).
When I am REALLY trying to save weight I use my Gitzo GT2531 - usually with the center column removed. Otherwise I use my Gitzo 3530LS = VERY rigid and only 1.8 Kilo.
These days Gitzos are rather pricey so have a look at the used market. If you don't mind a bit of extra weight I have an older model Gitzo for sale, it weighs 2.3 Kilo and will support anything - including me! P.M. if interested.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back