• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lothian Birding (1 Viewer)

Hi, i'm not sure if i've posted in the right thread, but i'd be grateful for any info on the Skinflats Savi's, as i'll be heading up to Scotland in a few days.
TIA.

It was reported as a "possible" a few days back, heard only briefly from a reedbed near to the main lagoon. This was from birdguides and I haven't heard a squeek since.

I got the one at Strumpshaw Fen last week so i'm not too bothered B :)
Although a Scottish one would be better :t:g

Ian Andrews found a Buff-breasted Sandpiper which arrived at the sand spit at Tyninghame at high tide at 16:15 yesterday but quickly relocated to the Spike Island saltmarsh - it was still there when he left at 18:00.

David

It was reported as a "possible" a few days back, heard only briefly from a reedbed near to the main lagoon. This was from birdguides and I haven't heard a squeek since.

I got the one at Strumpshaw Fen last week so i'm not too bothered B :)
Although a Scottish one would be better :t:g

The savis was seen for about ten seconds only (ie not heard) by a reliable observer. The next day it was possibly seen again, very briefly.

The savis was seen for about ten seconds only (ie not heard) by a reliable observer. The next day it was possibly seen again, very briefly.

It's amazing how birdguides always manage to report duff info. Acording to them, it was only heard briefly. The observer must have had good views to call it without hearing it.

It's amazing how birdguides always manage to report duff info. Acording to them, it was only heard briefly. The observer must have had good views to call it without hearing it.

We at BirdGuides are not immune to errors, and nor do we claim to be, but I don't think we made a mistake or published any "duff info" here. Our report of this bird read as follows: "probable in bushes between path to main lagoon and reedbed this morning" - nothing about it being heard or seen, briefly or otherwise. This bird wasn't reported directly to us, as it happens, but as far as I know we reproduced the available information accurately and in good faith. Might you be mixing up this report with another?

Dave Dunford
Webmaster, BirdGuides Ltd

Hi all,

Staying at Seton Sands Hol Village in a couple of weeks for a long weekend, any tips as to where to sneak in a bit of birding?
Thanks
Chris

Staying at Seton Sands Hol Village in a couple of weeks for a long weekend, any tips as to where to sneak in a bit of birding

Hi Chris - welcome to Lothian birding, nice choice, this is my local patch though I live in Longniddry - though don't expect anything very exciting! Right opposite the park entrance you have Seton Sands and the Seton Burn which may draw in a few terns and waders even in mid-summer, certainly Sandwich Tern, Barwits, Knot, etc are still present in some numbers and you can get decent views there and at Port Seton prom half a mile or so west. Scanning the Forth you ought to get a few scoter, bit early for returning grebes though - these usually build up in late summer. Many auks use the Forth, commuting to feed from colonies off North Berwick, Puffins are regular and you can see them heading back east with fish, Gannets a-plenty often quite close in and if there's any wind chance of Manx Shearwater, Fulmars, etc.

Inland, the park have just eliminated most of a fantastic patch of rough pasture which last year had several terrs Grasshopper Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting etc, plus calling Quail, to build the new golf course! On nocturnal visits last week only got one Grasshopper reeling there and owls in short supply though they are around in the wider area. Seton Chapel is in walking distance - I found Spotted Flycatcher there last week, pretty rare locally these days - Seton and Longniddry Dean are also worth a look, Bullfinch, Stock Dove, Grey Partridge etc can be expected. We also had a report of a probable pair of Turtle Doves a couple of weeks ago but sadly seem to have departed immediately after initial sighting - Longniddry itself is a former breeding area though they are long gone from here now.

Would welcome any of your sightings - we are still running a local atlas here so are looking for breeding evidence at tetrad level if you note anything like that - you are in tetrad NT47C there for which e.g. Pied Wagtail is still lacking breeding confirmation.

All the best!

Stephen

Hi all,

Staying at Seton Sands Hol Village in a couple of weeks for a long weekend, any tips as to where to sneak in a bit of birding?
Thanks
Chris

PS - may have been hasty in assuming you will be exploring local area, a bit further afield you have Musselburgh one side and Aberlady the other, guides to these plus local sightings etc are on birdinglothian website.

You're welcome - I also forgot to say there was a bunch of Bottlenose Dolphins just offshore there a couple of weeks ago, not sure if they have been seen again but they were quite regular in the Forth in 2009. And I confirmed Pied Wagtail breeding this morning, so that one is done! Hope you have a good trip...

Going a wee bit east towards Longniddry there are great beaches which have lots of different birds including terns, although a lot fewer than when I was wee (grew up in Longniddry). Aberlady + the SOC HQ always have an up to date list of interesting sightings, as well as some great wildlife paintings to see. Aberlady Bay will have Shellduck, red shank, peewit, roe deer, green woodpecker, wonderful gulls + others. You can walk from Aberlady bay back towards Seaton sands / around to Gullane. There is Yellowcraig at Direlton which is always good for terns + gulls, a great walk not far from the car + a good play ground for kids if you have them with you.
If you fancy going a wee bit further North Berwick has the sea bird center but even better is a trip out to Fidra + the Bass. I prefere going on the Sula as they go slowly, love taking the kids/dogs + just feels more peaceful, rather than the rib. The gannets on the Bass are out of this world!! There is a roosting peregrine there + we saw porpoise last summer on our way out. There are wonderful beaches at Tyneingham which are fantastic. I prefere walking from the car park all the way straight down to the beach then round the headland onto the stunning sandy beach which then makes for a wonderful lazy afternoon in the sun. If you look at the point there is a seat where you great views of gannets as the bass is v close by.
Another great day out is to the museum of flight between Drem + Athelstanford - they have incredible early WW1 footage of byplanes taking off + landing on the beach Tyneingham. Athelstaneford is steeped in history to do with the soltire. There is an interesting church at Whitekirk that hasto do with the suffragets.
Have a great holiday which I was up that way for a hol!! Will try to venture up over the summer + let you know what I spot.

Hello all,

I am new here, I have only recently taken an interest in birding and made my first visit to Duddingston Loch yesterday evening. I saw a male tufted duck, some coots and swan cygnets |:d|! I am also 95% sure I saw a bittern! I am still not that great at bird IDs but I was sitting by the water's edge watching the ducks and swans when a shadow flew right above me. I looked up and thought "that is a very funny looking heron?!", it looked almost owlish in flight. It later landed nearby in the reeds but when I tried to creep closer to get a photo it flew off promptly, very shy like herons are |:(|.

I also have another ID question. I saw some mallard looking ducks with lilac speculums... both male and females. I thought mallards only had blue ones? They were also more mottled/browny than the other mallards there?

Looks like paying for birding in E lothian is on the cards again

Oh no, that was such a guddle at Gullane + to pay for the others arrgh. Not that I can get into most as I gen have a top box when up visiting. We do go to many of the locations mentioned though. Are they going to pay folk to be at all these locations as they used to at Gullane, could be quite £. Wonder what other taxes they can come up with for folk who drive?

I am new here, I have only recently taken an interest in birding and made my first visit to Duddingston Loch yesterday evening. I saw a male tufted duck, some coots and swan cygnets |:d|! I am also 95% sure I saw a bittern! I am still not that great at bird IDs but I was sitting by the water's edge watching the ducks and swans when a shadow flew right above me. I looked up and thought "that is a very funny looking heron?!", it looked almost owlish in flight. It later landed nearby in the reeds but when I tried to creep closer to get a photo it flew off promptly, very shy like herons are |:(|.

Hi Set_Nights and welcome to the forum!

First off, a summer Bittern would be highly unusual, unprecedented in modern times; the nearest regular breeding location is Leighton Moss in Lancs; per bird reports there have been no summer records of Bittern in Lothian since at least 1958, neither were there any in the "Historical Atlas" period (1875-1900) or William Turnbull's era (1845-1850) - you have to go back to the 18th century when it bred in Scotland as far north as the Great Glen. So the odds are stacked against it - but perhaps some day they will be back. Duddingston is well supplied with Grey Herons though, there were 32 AON reducing to 29 AON in April - a student did her thesis on this heronry this year; at least some young herons should now be out and about and I guess may appear a little different in flight to an adult, so worth considering.

I also have another ID question. I saw some mallard looking ducks with lilac speculums... both male and females. I thought mallards only had blue ones? They were also more mottled/browny than the other mallards there?

As for ducks, there are all sorts of confusing plumage variations amongst Mallard where contaminated by different domestic variants, Khaki Campbells etc - I don't think I can make any sensible speculations on your speculums beyond that! Perhaps someone else can comment?

As for ducks, there are all sorts of confusing plumage variations amongst Mallard where contaminated by different domestic variants, Khaki Campbells etc - I don't think I can make any sensible speculations on your speculums beyond that! Perhaps someone else can comment?

There was a female shoveler there last time I looked a week or so ago so perhaps a possibility?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back