• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ethiopian wolf Simien Mountains (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Dear all

My wife is very keen to do a family trip to Ethiopia. She is also very keen that 'just this once, it's her trip not mine'. A constant driver and guide is not within our budget and not what she wants to do either. Her plan is for us to spend some time in a village where she has stayed before near Gondar (Tim and Kim village), where I'm assured there's lot of birds and then do a trek in the Simien mountains. She has found this company http://www.hikingsimienmountains.com/5dayssimien.html. I know the Bale mountains are where most people see this species but does anyone have any idea of the chances in the Simien mountains or any knowledge of the companies that organise trekking there?

Regards

Steve

Last edited:
Dear all

My wife is very keen to do a family trip to Ethiopia. She is also very keen that 'just this once, it's her trip not mine'. A constant driver and guide is not within our budget and not what she wants to do either. Her plan is for us to spend some time in a village where she has stayed before near Gonda (Tim and Kim village), where I'm assured there's lot of birds and then do a trek in the Simien mountains. She has found this company http://www.hikingsimienmountains.com/5dayssimien.html. I know the Bale mountains are where most people see this species but does anyone have any idea of the chances in the Simien mountains or any knowledge of the companies that organise trekking there?

Regards

Steve

The Simien Wolf is much easier to see in the Bale Mountains than in the Simien National Park. If you cover the road across the Seneti Plateau you would,in my opinion,be very unlucky not to come across several animals. I spent two days in the Simiens a few years ago and didn't come across any Wolves.Try Ethiopian Quadrants in Addis for advice about trekking. They organise the ground arrangements for most of the major bird tour companies who 'do' Ethiopia,and are thoroughly reliable.
Tom Lawson.

The Bale mountains are not really an option for us with very limited time and limited money. The trip to the village near Gondar is a 'non-negotiable'. On this one, mammal watching/birding are going to have to come second.

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, the price for private transport is very small compared to the money spend on any ticket flying into Ethiopia. And all other things in Ethiopia (food, hotels) are super cheap. So why not splash some (not that much) cash for visiting a more reliable site?

I probably should have made it clearer. This is a trip around what my wife wants to do. She had had thirty years of dedicated wildlife watching trips so it's fair.

Last edited:
I probably should have made it clearer. This is a trip around what my wife wants to do. She had had thirty years of dedicated wildlife watching trips do send fair

Just employ a 'rubbish' driver, preferably with poor levels of English, and secretly tell him to go to Bale Mountains, then when you somehow miraculously end up looking at an Ethiopian Wolf in Bale not Simien and your wife is asking difficult questions, blame the driver for bad understanding/navigation skills.

Last edited:
My wife spent 6 weeks birding in Indonesia as a honeymoon. She's not a birder. Trust me she's earned this one. On a serious note, I have come pretty close to divorce in the not very distant past. I'm off to the Western Sahara, without the family, in the late winter and have been given the option of going on another intense trip without them in the summer. I'm not going to argue.

Going back to wolves, from feedback from mammalwatching.com it sounds like I have a pretty good chance. It would seem to be a better site than people think.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back