• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chile: Juan Fernandez Islands by ship? (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Hi folks,

browsing the lovely Jaramillo book, I learned about this tiny archipelago with some interesting birds and generally a fantastic location to try to visit. A bit of google has shown me that you can go that you can get there by a murderously overpriced flight or somewhat more reasonably by MS Antonio twice a month.

Does anyone has any information about the ship journey? It's apparently a cargo ship with 6 places for tourists - any ideas if this setup allows for watching the seabirds on the way? There should be quite a selection of tubenoses to look for on this journey! This having said, what would be the best part of they year to try this, from the seawatching perspective?

Thanks!

I've also been interested in the ship but a Chilean friend of mine, who has been on the ship, has told me that it's very difficult to get the berths as they are reserved for residents of the island first and are almost always sold out. Getting berths for both directions is even harder. But I've not looked into it personally, it does tempt me.

Together with a few friends we are trying to put together a trip to Juan Fernandez with a few pelagics while in Juan Fernandez, and are contemplating trying to get to Selkirk for the Masafuera Rayadito. The first part will just be flying to Juan Fernandez and a few organized boat charters. Getting to Masafuera is much more complicated in terms of boat logistics and permission required, and apparently once there, the Rayadito is actually pretty difficult to find.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back