• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Desk top switching on problem help please. (1 Viewer)

Cashie

Hello folks
United Kingdom
|8|| My sisters computer is playing up. When you push the button on the tower to turn it on, all she gets is a clicking sound and a flashing switch. The PC is a Packard Bell. Its not even giving us an error screen. It just wont turn on. Can anybody help please

Paul

|8|| My sisters computer is playing up. When you push the button on the tower to turn it on, all she gets is a clicking sound and a flashing switch. The PC is a Packard Bell. Its not even giving us an error screen. It just wont turn on. Can anybody help please

Paul

Paul

Try unplugging the power cable for a minute and then retry the power switch!. If you get the same prob you've probab;y got a H/W problem. PSU Motherboard. If it still happens after unplugging, open it up and remove the power from the drives/CD and retry powering on. If that fails ?.

Thanks Alan. I did try the off and on part, so I will now unplug the drives and give it a try.
Cheers
Paul

Paul

Try unplugging the power cable for a minute and then retry the power switch!. If you get the same prob you've probab;y got a H/W problem. PSU Motherboard. If it still happens after unplugging, open it up and remove the power from the drives/CD and retry powering on. If that fails ?.

Tried unpluging the drives & am still getting the same a clicking sound & flashing power switch, also noticed a fashing red LED on the motherbord & that seems to be where the clicking is coming from, :-C

check RAM

It sounds like the RAM is not being recognised by the motherboard ..
Has anyone opened up the computer lately and played with the hardware ?:smoke:
Anyway you could try this:

1- check that the monitor cable is securely attached to your computer.

2- Open up the box and remove the RAM sticks, gently and carefully clean around them (with a sucker vacuum) and plug them back in ..

try that .. and post a more detailed description if the problem persists :smoke:

It sounds like the RAM is not being recognised by the motherboard ..
Has anyone opened up the computer lately and played with the hardware ?:smoke:
Anyway you could try this:

1- check that the monitor cable is securely attached to your computer.

2- Open up the box and remove the RAM sticks, gently and carefully clean around them (with a sucker vacuum) and plug them back in ..

try that .. and post a more detailed description if the problem persists :smoke:

I have tried cleaning the Ram & even moving it to the other empty slot but it's still the same, do you thing I should get a new memory?

I have tried cleaning the Ram & even moving it to the other empty slot but it's still the same, do you thing I should get a new memory?

No!.

If you powered on without the memory, you should get a continuouse beeping.
Does anything start revlving?.

Processor fan
Drives etc?.

Sounds like you PSU is U/S. ( alt least, thats the cheapest option! )

check other things

Try to establish that it is the RAM before buying a new RAM stick ..
I'm just wondering if you've tried connecting the machine to another monitor just to exclude the possibility of monitor malfunction ..

Try that and please report anything that appears on the screen at all ..
Also, can you tell us if you're able to open the CD Rom drive after you power up ?

No!.

If you powered on without the memory, you should get a continuouse beeping.
Does anything start revlving?.

Processor fan
Drives etc?.

Sounds like you PSU is U/S. ( alt least, thats the cheapest option! )

Alan, only the fan in the power supply is working.

Try to establish that it is the RAM before buying a new RAM stick ..
I'm just wondering if you've tried connecting the machine to another monitor just to exclude the possibility of monitor malfunction ..

Try that and please report anything that appears on the screen at all ..
Also, can you tell us if you're able to open the CD Rom drive after you power up ?

I have tried anther monitor, & the cd drives will not open ether, myself I think she should get a new base unit. :t:

From what you describe it appears to be the power supply unit (PSU), which is a simple item to change. You do not need to replace the whole case as any PSU should fit ok. You can test to see if the PSU will switch on by doing the following -

1. Switch of the mains socket your PC is plugged into (leave the mains cable plugged in, it provides an earth to the unit). Touch a bare metal part of the case to ensure you discharge any static electricity.

2. Locate the motherboard power connector (usually a 20pin long connector) press the latch mechanism on the side and unplug the connector (sometimes a small wiggle of the connector is required)

3. Look at the connector you have just unplugged and use something to short together pins 16 & 17 (a paper clip will do) make sure the connector is in a position so it does not touch anything electrical.

wtx_24p_cableconn.gif

4. Switch on power at the mains socket, your hard drive and CD/DVD drive should power up and you should be able to open the tray

5. If you get no CD/DVD opening then it is a good bet that your PSU is blown, get a new one!!

A new PSU of 450Watts should cost you between £10 - £25 unless you go for a top-of-the-range type which will cost a lot more.

Hope this helps

Pete :news:

Thanks for the info Pete, I will certainly try it for a tenner or so & if all fails She wont have lost much.

Cheers mate B :)

agree with Sidrat

I agree with Sidrat .. However, it may be easier and SAFER to get a computer shop technician to replace the PSU for you ;)

I would still replace it myself, 4 screws and ½ a dozen connectors is all it takes, 15 mins at the most. A shop will charge you anything up to £30 to do it.

Pete :news:

Cheers Guy's

Found out it was the mother board at fault, and it isn't worth fixing so we have just been out and bought a new base unit by Fujitsu siemens.

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back